GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,766
3 members and 2,763 guests
abenjaminmarley, Cookiez17, John

Old 11-14-2008, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post

This is not from the Disney themed wedding that I attended, but I still thought it was a little crazy for a wedding cake
I just think it's ugly.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-14-2008, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Cake wrecks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Since this thread is about cake, I figured I'd share one of my favorite blogs:

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

THIS IS AWESOME! I looked at back blogs for hours. Thanks KSUViolet for sharing.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
Arg, so my fiance and I have had some wedding cake drama! Our bakery, who has baked every cake I've ever had, has been forced to close due to the economy/horrific fire last year. So, the scramble was on to find a new baker (t-minus 2.5 months till WDay). My aunt and mom, being the networking ladies that they are, found a baker that used to work at a bakery they both went to when they were little. Apparently he's gone into a sort of "cottage" business of his own with one of the other bakers, and they do wedding cakes and cookies in Pittsburgh. He said he could replicate any cake we threw at him, so the search was on, because I decided to change the original cake idea. So, this is what I've found, and he's agreed to do this for us (in buttercream, not fondant (blech!))

From the knot

I guess I should have followed up this cake drama. Our cake and baker were fantastic. We ended up with 3 tiers with a cookies and cream filling (yes, it was oreos ground up with buttercream...omnomnom). Delivered to the venue more than on time, done exactly how we asked him to. He did a super good job of replicating the above cake based on a photo. Even improvised the pearls...in the original, they were like a hard sugar pearl, but my grandfather has dentures so in our cake they were just little fondant pearls. Did I mention that it was cheaper/around the same price as the original drama bakery cake? Did I also mention how lovely this guy is? And how good his cookies are? If anyone in Pittsburgh needs a cake, send me a PM and I'll put you in contact.

Here's the final result

Last edited by PhoenixAzul; 02-16-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I guess I should have followed up this cake drama. Our cake and baker were fantastic. We ended up with 3 tiers with a cookies and cream filling (yes, it was oreos ground up with buttercream...omnomnom). Delivered to the venue more than on time, done exactly how we asked him to. He did a super good job of replicating the above cake based on a photo. Even improvised the pearls...in the original, they were like a hard sugar pearl, but my grandfather has dentures so in our cake they were just little fondant pearls. Did I mention that it was cheaper/around the same price as the original drama bakery cake? Did I also mention how lovely this guy is? And how good his cookies are? If anyone in Pittsburgh needs a cake, send me a PM and I'll put you in contact.

Here's the final result
I love it - it's gorgeous! The story, the cake, the finished product. If you want to PM me the baker, I'll love you forever! Did you say he does the cookies, too? As in Cookie Table cookies? Wow!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 AM
Banned

Quote:

Here's the final result
Quoted for awesomeness and win.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Here's the final result
That cake looks amazing- and a great story too!

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 02-18-2010, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Being fresh out of Culinary School (Pastry), and after reading through this thread, I wanted to give those who do not like fondant and have ideas in mind that a buttercream will not work....you may want to ask your Pastry Chef about using modeling chocolate...whether it be dark/milk/white chocolate or as someone stated earlier in the thread marizpan, but if you want a white cake, white modeling chocolate will work great.

For those budget conscious wedding party people: An idea of you don't want to spend too much money on a wedding cake: Have them decorate as elaborate as your budget will allow a bunch of styrofoam rounds (or whichever shape you want) in fondant, with a cutout for a real cake insert and then have them bake full sheetcakes with the flavors of your choice.

The edit button has become my new best friend

Last edited by ms_gwyn; 02-18-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_gwyn View Post
Being fresh out of Culinary School (Pastry), and after reading through this thread, I wanted to give those who do not like fondant and have ideas in mind that a buttercream will not work....you may want to ask your Pastry Chef about using modeling chocolate...whether it be dark/milk/white chocolate or as someone stated earlier in the thread marizpan, but if you want a white cake, white modeling chocolate will work great.

For those budget conscious wedding party people: An idea of you don't want to spend too much money on a wedding cake: Have them decorate as elaborate as your budget will allow a bunch of styrofoam rounds (or whichever shape you want) in fondant, with a cutout for a real cake insert and then have them bake full sheetcakes with the flavors of your choice.

Great tips! Thanks for posting these. I used to work @ the California Culinary Academy (before they were bought out by the company that owns the Le Cordon Bleu program) and I would check out the final projects from the cake & pastry program and see the same things you described.

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 02-18-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to California School of Culinary Arts, now know as Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Los Angeles (based in Pasadena)

Old 05-30-2010, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

My wedding was at a lighthouse. For the the cake, my baker smoothed out buttercream and placed seashell candy around the cake. She painted the candy so it looked like mother-of-pearl. The result was very simple and pretty.

Since my wedding was a destination event and my hubby and I were starting our honeymoon immediately after the reception, my mother-in-law decided to temporarily take custody of the top tier of the wedding cake. She kept it in a cooler, drove it home, and then opened the box to take a peek before she re-wrapped it and put it in the freezer. Apparently, she thought the caterer had wrecked the top layer by just dropping it in a cake box and taping it up. She said it was lopsided and the frosting was everywhere. What does she decide to do? THROW OUT MY WEDDING CAKE AND REMAKE IT!!!

But before she does this, my MIL salvages some of the candy seashells to reuse. Unfortunately, she has the IQ of a rock. SHE THOUGHT THEY WERE REAL SHELLS AND TRIED TO WASH THEM IN HOT DISHWATER. She realized they weren't real as they disintegrated in the sink.

She told me all of this a week later as she sheepishly handed me a bakery box with my "homemade replacement cake" and a gawdy lighthouse snowglobe to use as my cake topper on my one year anniversary. I was too horrified to say anything.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

you really don't want year old cake, when I get my business up and running, it will be in my contacts (I have a working copy now) and an anniversary cake, with the same flavors included in the price.....

Old 05-30-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_gwyn View Post
you really don't want year old cake, when I get my business up and running, it will be in my contacts (I have a working copy now) and an anniversary cake, with the same flavors included in the price.....
Good idea. My cousin GAVE me the remainder of their year old cake because they took one bite and decided to toss it. I took one bite of it and said "no thanks." It really is gross.

I've heard of one bakery in the area who includes anniversary giant cupcakes in their contracts. Mmmmmm.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Good idea. My cousin GAVE me the remainder of their year old cake because they took one bite and decided to toss it. I took one bite of it and said "no thanks." It really is gross.

I've heard of one bakery in the area who includes anniversary giant cupcakes in their contracts. Mmmmmm.
We ate the top tier of our cake the day after the wedding, standing up at my parents' kitchen counter. Haha. We were like, "We could save it...but we're hungry now."
Old 05-30-2010, 11:16 PM

^^^Ha.

I have friends who had so much cake leftover after their wedding that they ate cake after dinner for almost 2 weeks straight! They ordered too much cake and didn't think about the fact that their guests aren't big cake eaters. Oops.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how, but my cake was delicious a year later. My mom had some kind of directions on how to store it, and she had it wrapped up in like a million alternating layers of plastic wrap and foil and stuck deep in her freezer. We thawed it out (took forever!) and it was still good! Not as good, but still really good!