GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,124
0 members and 1,124 guests
No Members online

Old 04-04-2020, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Question New Member/Question?/Backstory?

Hi everyone! I am new here and super interested in rushing panhellenic! But I have some issues!

I have always wanted to rush panhellenic but financially I could not handle it due to out of state tuition. I recently transferred into a school that is in state for me and now all of my financial issues have totally vanished. I will be a junior this upcoming fall. The university I attend encourages seniors and juniors to rush on their panhellenic website! So the fact that I am a junior does not worry me too much ( just a little bit ).

So what's the problem? I have been doing marching band since I was 14, even still in college before I transferred Unis. The issue is that Band camp and Formal recruitment lie on the same exact days. I am aware that the band director and panhellenic council at my school can organize a special schedule for me, but I have heard that a special schedule could affect your bid results through a friend of mine who does both band and greek life. I am scared that having a schedule conflict and being a junior will greatly affect my bid chances. What do you guys think?

I am at a point where I am willing to let go of marching band just because I have been doing it for six years and I am looking for new experiences to help me grow. My fear is that if I decide not to do band this year that I also will not end up getting a bid and then I will have neither band nor a sorority. I have always been heavily involved on campus and that would be a nightmare for me.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 04-04-2020, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

I recall that Auburn and Jax State have done special schedules for band members and I'm told that your bid results really depend on how much a certain group wants you. Well, like anyone else in recruitment--
Old 04-05-2020, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

You do have quite the decision to make and you are right-if you choose band camp over rush, hoping that an individualized schedule will be enough, you may end up bidless. However, if you put all your eggs in the rush basket and forego marching band this year, and end up bidless, the year could drag along without band (of course, there will be many, many organizations and activities that you will be able to join, perhaps even musical ensembles).

I would imagine that those in your situation who choose to attend band camp and have friends in the sororities on campus might fair better than those new to campus who know no one. But even then, friends in a chapter pulling for you is not a guaranteed bid. You might help up your chances by securing recommendations for sorority alumnae for the sororities on your campus. The ladies do not have to be members of that particular chapter-just a member in good standing of their national organization. But I have heard that there are campuses where recs are rare and some chapters disregard them, but a rec is required by some sororities on a national level. You will need to explore how recs are viewed on your campus as well as the national rec policies of the sororities on your campus..

So the point of my post is that I understand that you have a difficult decision to make and either way you go there are positives and negatives. I can't offer you advice on which path to take. That is a decision you will need to make.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 04-05-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

There are usually several people in various programs that have preschool events so that they have to get PH to do special schedules. And I was in school with band members in my chapter and have advised chapters that had band members (this includes cheerleaders, dance line, etc.). It can be done but takes great time management. As we often say here, you know the outcome if you don't go thru recruitment - you won't ever be a member. But going thru, even with a special schedule, you have a chance...just like everyone else going thru. Band on your resume is a plus. I say give it a try...you've always got band...and, at Alabama where I went, that's a whole other fraternity of its own! The band alums play every year on field at homecoming!