GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,315
0 members and 1,315 guests
No Members online

Old 05-06-2016, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Harvard sports captains can no longer be in Greek Life

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...ubs-greeklife/

"Starting with Harvard’s Class of 2021, undergraduate members of unrecognized single-gender social organizations will be banned from holding athletic team captaincies and leadership positions in all recognized student groups. They will also be ineligible for College endorsement for top fellowships like the Rhodes and Marshall scholarships."

But aren't many, if not all, sports teams single-gender? It should follow that if you're in a single-gender sport, you can't have the fellowships either... I know that's taking it far, but really?
Old 05-06-2016, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

That's just manipulative, judgmental, and mean.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

It's greekism.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
It's greekism.
For the win!
Old 05-07-2016, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...ubs-greeklife/

"Starting with Harvard’s Class of 2021, undergraduate members of unrecognized single-gender social organizations will be banned from holding athletic team captaincies and leadership positions in all recognized student groups. They will also be ineligible for College endorsement for top fellowships like the Rhodes and Marshall scholarships."

But aren't many, if not all, sports teams single-gender? It should follow that if you're in a single-gender sport, you can't have the fellowships either... I know that's taking it far, but really?
The difference is that the sports teams are recognized by the university.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:48 AM

As usual, mass LOL at Harvard decrying "exclusionary" organizations.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I have come to the point, that Harvard sucks and self blown up by its self importance anymore.

Harvard seems to me that it is not "The Sparkling" school of absolute learning when other schools are equally as good! They profess to be The High and mighty of education! I would have much rather gone to any other school myself.

Just my rant, thank you!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-07-2016, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Tom, you are right. They were one of the first to be caught inflating their students grades.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
As usual, mass LOL at Harvard decrying "exclusionary" organizations.
--whilst they institute a further exclusionary policy..
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-09-2016, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

A joint statement by NPC, NIC NALFO and AFA regarding the Harvard policy:

https://www.npcwomen.org/resources/a...anizations.pdf
Old 05-09-2016, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Completely misguided and over reactive response to an issue taken by Harvard. I hope the blowback continues to grow.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:53 PM

The first paragraph really doesn't make sense - they're not "sanctioning" students, they're denying opportunities. Those are two different things. Sanctioning would be suspending anyone who is a GLO member - as it is the only people affected are those trying for leadership positions and scholarships. The NALFO statement was much more coherent.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Harvard's real target here are the exclusive final clubs. From Harvard's perspective, the fraternities and sororities are (fairly or unfairly) included in this group. From my experience, Harvard's administration can be both stubborn and arrogant. Everybody whose done business with them knows this. I also suspect that every fraternity and sorority involved with Harvard knew this going in. For example, in its magazine, my wife's fraternity cannot even mention its chapter's Harvard association. There's just a blank. Harvard's rule.

So could being swept up in something like this really be a surprise to its national office? I'm not defending Harvard, but I cannot really disagree with Harvard's president:

“Although the fraternities, sororities, and final clubs are not formally recognized by the College, they play an unmistakable and growing role in student life, in many cases enacting forms of privilege and exclusion at odds with our deepest values,” ***** wrote. “The College cannot ignore these organizations if it is to advance our shared commitment to broadening opportunity and making Harvard a campus for all of its students.”

"Privilege and exclusion" is what Harvard is trying to tramp down here. And don't expect Harvard to back off either. They didn't with gays in the military and other issues they think are important.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Tom, you are right. They were one of the first to be caught inflating their students grades.

Funny how things work at a Super Ivy League school like Harvard.

They "TRY" to be so elite! Well to me they stepped down a rung or several down the ladder.

All one has to do is look at how many Presidents, Congress Men/Woman, Judges, and Heads Business there are.

While "Havard" acts like the were built on a strong foundation, its seem more like a foundation of clay!

So much for a School of Higher Learning!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-10-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
Harvard's real target here are the exclusive final clubs. From Harvard's perspective, the fraternities and sororities are (fairly or unfairly) included in this group. From my experience, Harvard's administration can be both stubborn and arrogant. Everybody whose done business with them knows this. I also suspect that every fraternity and sorority involved with Harvard knew this going in. For example, in its magazine, my wife's fraternity cannot even mention its chapter's Harvard association. There's just a blank. Harvard's rule.

So could being swept up in something like this really be a surprise to its national office? I'm not defending Harvard, but I cannot really disagree with Harvard's president:

“Although the fraternities, sororities, and final clubs are not formally recognized by the College, they play an unmistakable and growing role in student life, in many cases enacting forms of privilege and exclusion at odds with our deepest values,” ***** wrote. “The College cannot ignore these organizations if it is to advance our shared commitment to broadening opportunity and making Harvard a campus for all of its students.”

"Privilege and exclusion" is what Harvard is trying to tramp down here. And don't expect Harvard to back off either. They didn't with gays in the military and other issues they think are important.
The only way they will change their culture is to completely change their student body to one who has no interest in final clubs or similar societies. I don't think that will happen. Plus, national groups gladly put up with the crap to have a chapter at an Ivy.