GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,642
1 members and 1,641 guests
Sarak24034

Old 05-26-2000, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Post What is the problem with joining Sigma Gamma Rho?

I have been reading some of these posts and I am very upset to see some of the comments made about my organization. I find it very distressing that people who chose the supposed "best" organization would have so much time to worry about what my orgnization is doing, who joins it and whether or not it is in competition with other organizations? I have learned that I have to pick my battles when it comes to defending SGRho because the legacy of 78 years of service speaks for itself. Before anyone says anything about I was rejected by the other organizations you are wrong at the time there were only Aka's and Zeta's on my campus and I was invited to be a part of AKA but it just wasn't for me...I didn't say that there was anything wrong with the organization it just not for me. I chose to go out there and search for something that I would love and find the kind of sisterhood that I was looking for and after 3 years of research I found it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-26-2000, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I think one of the reasons certain organizations get looked at in a negative light, is because they have a reputation (or have been stereotyped) for selecting girls that were rejected from other organizations that are in higher demand. Many people buy into this and fail give SGRho,etc. the respect they rightfully deserve and most don't know anything significant about them anyway.

All of the sororities have something special to offer, things that set each apart from the rest, just promote the things you love about your sorority. People need to do their research and go with the sorority that is best for them.
Old 05-26-2000, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Thumbs up

Like my Soror Zeta Ace said..."Don't you let ANYONE steal your joy!" SGRho is not for everyone. May your special golden light shine on those worthy...and your sisterhood be blessed with all that your Founders envisioned!

Greek Love,
10-A-91

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 05-27-2000, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
sgrho_22-

Girl don't let anyone steal your joy! There is no problem with joining SGRho or Zeta, or AKA, or Delta. Everyone should join the sorority that is best for them and no other! Most of the people who made nasty replys are probably not members of any organization.

ZetaAce
Old 05-27-2000, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Ditto.

Greek Love (almost sounds like a hippie phrase doesn't it?)!

------------------
>>>"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised... Proverbs 31:29-30
Old 05-28-2000, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror SGRHO_22,

I want to take the time to let you know that as Sisters in Sigma WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE PROUD OF OUR ORGANIZATION - ALL THE TIME. No matter what kind of ignorance you read on this network, you must always remember that IGNORANCE IS BLISS, and people fear and talk about what they don't understand. REMEMBER -THEY TALKED ABOUT JESUS. Hold your head up and strive for Sigma. We have no time to pay ANY attention to the insults and negativity that plague our organization as a whole. The diversity among the BGLO's should be celebrated, but not continue to separate us. It is a shame that many of us continue to put down one another instead of embracing each other. Thus another reason why our Black Community will continue to suffer. To my other Greek Sisters that posted, thank you for your support and continue to strive for the community, and for you my sister - CHOOSE TO IGNORE THE IGNORANCE.

Yours in the Bond,

Faythe

------------------
Imagine the miracles we would see if we just had a little Faythe!
Old 05-28-2000, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs up

sgrho_22

I had barely even heard of your organization until it kept getting brought up here recently. (I don't think there are any chapters in this area). So I took it upon myself to go do some research on your organization (as well as some others that I was unfamiliar with).

It's amazing what you learn when you take the time to educate yourself (and I didn't even take much time)! Yes, you sometimes have to ignore the ignorance (or you'll go mad trying to teach everyone), but sometimes a little education helps, too.

I found SGRho to be right up there among the other BGLO's and GLO's as far as service, commitment, principles, etc. go.

To anyone else who sees mention of a GLO or BGLO that you're unfamiliar with, I would suggest checking it out before you start judging the sisters or brothers.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 05-28-2000, 05:12 PM
SGRHO_98

Thumbs up

I have absolutely no idea why people hate on other people's organizations. To each its' own! When I went to college I had no idea on what sorority to join-so I went to every interest meeting. I just felt most comfortable with SGRho! What happened to the greek love??? You know when there are Greek functions, everyone just seems so proud to be greek; but then when you go on chat forums-everyone starts to hate. You joined your sorority because it best suited you; so how are you going to discourage another for joining an organization that best suits them?
Old 05-29-2000, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

The SGRHOs should not even pay attention to ignorant people. Yall know yall sorority is tight! Send the haters on their way!!!!! The SGRHOs at my school are tight. As I have said before all the bglos at my school are tight. They all get along and eveything is all good. Don't sweat the small stuff!!!!!!!! Much love to the SGRHOs!!
Old 05-29-2000, 04:28 AM
GreekChat Member

since i have been reading this thread, i have been wondering why you are looking outside of ourself for approval? i don't feel the need to defend my decision to pledge Delta or to defend Delta's worth as an organization. there will always be people who have negative things to say regardless of which org you are a member of. you just have to ket it roll like water off a duck'd back ! you all are doing your thing, so don't worry about not getting respect or whatever. just show and prove!
Old 05-30-2000, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

With all due respect, I don't even really think that this thread has any need, (but that's just my opinon). SGRhos are doing their thing, and don't need validation from anyone.

When you are shining and achieving, there will always be someone who will try to drag you down. People do this becuase there is a void in themselves that they are trying to fill by dragging you down. Don't worry about them, they have ISSUES, and there is nothing that you can do about that.

Everyone joins their perspective organization for whatever reason they choose, but that is a personal reason, and cannot be generalized by others.

Old 05-30-2000, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

First the reason I posted this thread was not for approval as the young lady of DST suggested I only have one mother and that is the only person along with God that I seek approval from...I was reading the different topics and I decided to put my question out there....SGRHO is always going to be hated on just like as a minority I will always be hated on that doesn't mean that I'm going to live my life trying to get approval from those haters...It seems that as my Soror said when you are in public people have love but on the net where they can hide behind the screen these people all of a sudden have a voice...For those who responded with positive comments I thank you for that but really I wanted people with the legitimate reason other than the same tired response of "Oh people just join SGRho when they are rejected from other Sororities" to respond to my post but ofcourse they couldn't because they really don't have a legitimate reason. I would respond to that one but it would only cause more drama so I'll do what my mother taught me and that is "see and blind... hear and deaf" and "I don't have to respond to everything people say."
Peace
Old 05-30-2000, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

In my opinion, it takes a strong minded, strong willed, strong bodied person to join any sorority/fraternity. Be proud of yourselves for what you have accomplished. All sororities and fraternities in my eyes should be viewed at a VERY high level. We all strived for something we love, and that's not easy. As for being rejected by other sororities and that's why you got into the sorority you're in now. . .whatever. Don't listen to those people. As bright and beautiful as we all are, and the strenght that we all obviously have, we joined what we wanted and none of us settle for second best. So if people look down their noses at you for what organization you joined, don't you worry about it. As for sorority hating sorority. That is a local thing, and is usually a fued that most people today don't remember the reason for. That happened on my campus. At one point in time, one sorority did something to another and today, nobody knows why they fued, but they "just do." I think it's kind of stupid myself, but I'm sure at one time, it might have been valid. If the same thing is happening on your campus, I urge you all to try to mend whatever fueds you have and work together.
Old 06-04-2000, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I beleive thtat some people are misundertanding this post. It is not because my soror is looking for approval, she is only saying that people are not fully aware of the fact that SGRho is not a "new" sorority. I mean 1922 was a while ago. We only started 2 years after zeta and less than ten after delta. Basically, we are not taking "leftovers" as some seem to think, because i know for a fact that we are very selective, as most BGLO's are. I am very proud to be a SGRho and am not here to put down anyone else. I am proud of the fact that I have the ability to actually see one of my founders in perdon. I'm proud that my sorority was the only one not found on a HBCU and most importantly, I'm proud that my sorors are as proud as I am, which shows from their post on this forum. SGRho is not a leftover or anything of the sort. It is a sorority founded by black women for women who want to educate their minds and souls and I hope that everyone will one day be willing to educate themselves to be asble to accept this

I don't know how I digressed like that, but I guess I caught the Sigma ghost for a minute. Basically everyone, do your reasearch and you will be amazed at what you find
Old 06-05-2000, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Soror for clarifying...but you know I am still waiting for all those people who always have so much negative comments to make to come up with an intelligent answer based on their beliefs about our organization....I think that it's a shame that they have to put down other's to make theselves feel better or make their choice seem fine. I have to say this though that kind of attitude has been around for years and if they haven't notice then read this carefully SIGMA GAMMA RHO IS GROWING AND WILL CONTINUE TO GROW BECAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY ALL THAT WE DO FOR OUR COMMUNITY IS IN THE NAME OF GOD AND OUR ORGANIZATION AND NO ONE CAN STOP GREATER SERVICE GREATER PROGRESS.