GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,443
0 members and 1,443 guests
No Members online

Old 10-15-2010, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Honey, maybe you could do a necklace with the chain attached to the left and right points of the diamond instead making it a pendant suspended from the top point. I think that could be really interesting. To diagram it out:

-------<>-------
Oh, I meant to comment on this! I like that idea... you could also take it one step further and play off the pearls in the pin. You could do a full pearl strand with the pin either in the middle or dangling. Or even a spaced pearl necklace with gold chain or something between the pearls, and then the pin in the place of the pearl at the center.

ooooo-<>-ooooo

ooooo-.-ooooo
<>

-o-o-o-o-<>-o-o-o-o-

Hmm... this could be fun!

Last edited by thetygerlily; 10-15-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry that I haven't been posting lately - I've been as sick as 16 dogs! I have a brand new washer downstairs, and can't even get down to read the instruction book!

First, the option for ADPi is #3 - everyone must buy a pin, and when I last checked, it is not included in the initiation fee. IMHO, I'd like to see an exclusion made for those who have a legacy pin, because I hate to see so many of our least expensive pins on an auction site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Honey, maybe you could do a necklace with the chain attached to the left and right points of the diamond instead making it a pendant suspended from the top point. I think that could be really interesting. To diagram it out:

-------<>-------
I was given a bracelet similar to this when I was Sister of the Year. The biggest differences were that there were two chains coming from the holes on each side of the diamond, instead of one; and there was a crest instead of a pin. It was somehow lost (don't get me started!), but I've often thought of having one made again. Beautiful design!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Oh, I meant to comment on this! I like that idea... you could also take it one step further and play off the pearls in the pin. You could do a full pearl strand with the pin either in the middle or dangling. Or even a spaced pearl necklace with gold chain or something between the pearls, and then the pin in the place of the pearl at the center.

ooooo-<>-ooooo

ooooo-.-ooooo
<>

-o-o-o-o-<>-o-o-o-o-

Hmm... this could be fun!
I like these - almost like a drop? That would be beautiful - AND I just happen to know a pearl wholesaler!

I have the feeling that this pin was being prepped for a ring, then for whatever reason, they didn't go through with it. The other idea I have (so far) is to have it soldered onto my Greek Alumnae of the Year Award. It's rather bland, like most of those things, and a pin would really ramp it up! Then again, I have those three legacies to think about - maybe one of them would enjoy something, too.
(FYI, the first one didn't go greek during recruitment at JMU - fingers crossed she's waiting for the coming colonization! Her twin has deferred recruitment.)
Old 10-17-2010, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
*bump* I decided. All black stones. No diamond points. Can add those later if the black is too overwhelming. Ordering it tomorrow after I call HQ to check on something.
AzTheta: Did you get the new onxy badge yet? I was thinking of that combo too and would love to see it. Post pics when you get it.
I am between the onyx large badge or all diamond or diamond pearl alternating. I already have a vintage pearl badge, but have been drooling over a large badge for a long time now...

You don't become a Kappa Alpha Theta, a Theta is something you have always been!
Old 10-17-2010, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
To all the badge trends folks- I was at Kappa HQ a week and a half ago and have some pictures to share... but won't be posting any until a certain someone here sends me something long overdue
You talkin' to me?

No more excuses, it's been loaded onto this computer & will soon be YOURS!

(been up in the high country, now back to the desert, there's a lot to catch up on in this thread!)

@KiteDiva - the large onyx is my birthday present to myself and I'll be sure to post it for you. I really like the quality of the J. Lewis Small badges and they are subtly different than the previous jewelers' badges.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 10-17-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: added a comment
Old 10-18-2010, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Lucy, you're not required to own a badge? Interesting. We are required to own a badge while a collegian. An alumna can give her badge to her sister, daughter, or granddaughter if she joins AEPhi. Every AEPhi gets the same badge, and the cost is not terribly steep.
Yeah, as Lily said, we aren't required to get a badge. I recently learned that my undergrad chapter is now including the basic badge price as part of the NM fees so everyone can get one and upgrade it if they want when they pick out their own.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
One of the latest pins I won was alternating rubies & pearls - with no pin on the back! Insteead of looking at this as a problem, I'm trying to think of what I could have it soldered onto.

Suggestions?
Regardless of what you do, just be careful who you have do the work. Hot solder (ie: gold) will burn the pearls. Low temp is going to be something like lead, and it'll look crummy. You need to find a good, high-quality local jeweler who does (or contracts with someone who does) laser solder. The laser is very targeted and does not burn the pearls. I just had a pin & catch re-attached to a pearl badge, and it's still perfect-no pearls needed replacing.

IMHO, you should get one of those badge pendant plaques (the ones where normally you pin your badge through) and have it soldered on to that. I have a large crown pearl theta badge from the 50's pinned through a kite shaped badge pendant and I wear it all the time.

If you put the badge on a bracelet, the pearls will end up taking a beating, especially if you wear it a lot. I've found some badges on charms (for charm bracelets) and the pearls on 'em are invariably all worn to shreds.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaokite View Post
I have a large crown pearl theta badge from the 50's pinned through a kite shaped badge pendant and I wear it all the time.
Oh the pictures you could share... That necklace sounds fantastic, especially since it's kite-shaped rather than a standard shape. I'm sure that emphasizes it that much more.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I just got my sister pin recently and I am obsessed with it. In a way I am sad that since I'm a sister of a local sorority we just have the one standard pin, but I LOVE looking at this thread because some of those badges are unbelievably GORGEOUS and I feel a twinge of jealousy.

Still love my simple pin though, so it's all okay. The history behind it makes up for it too.

And we are required to get a pin. They have them ready for us right after initiation, but we still borrowed our "moms" pins for a day.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollthedice View Post
I just got my sister pin recently and I am obsessed with it. In a way I am sad that since I'm a sister of a local sorority we just have the one standard pin, but I LOVE looking at this thread because some of those badges are unbelievably GORGEOUS and I feel a twinge of jealousy.

Still love my simple pin though, so it's all okay. The history behind it makes up for it too.

And we are required to get a pin. They have them ready for us right after initiation, but we still borrowed our "moms" pins for a day.
Please take a picture and share with us! Please, please, please!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

here it is! it's very simple. the picture has both our pledge pin & ribbons and the sister pin!

Old 10-21-2010, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
here it is! it's very simple. the picture has both our pledge pin & ribbons and the sister pin!

That's beautiful! Love the arrow through the pin.

AOII

Old 10-21-2010, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you! I just love it so much! I'm thinking about making a special pin box for it instead of the standard herff jones box.

It's so exciting being able to wear it and I just feel this huge sense of pride and excitement every time I put it on... Super corny I know, but it's true...
Old 10-21-2010, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you! I just love it so much! I'm thinking about making a special pin box for it instead of the standard herff jones box.

It's so exciting being able to wear it and I just feel this huge sense of pride and excitement every time I put it on... Super corny I know, but it's true...
It's not corny! I still feel that way, and I was initiated 17 years ago Oct 1st.

AOII

Old 10-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

ADPi used to make small pin boxes, almost like a traveling pill case, and they were WONDERFUL!! I don't know about your rituals (nor should I) but with ours, having your pin so easily accessible is a joy. I don't think your guard would fit, but I'm sure there are some out there. Try whichever craft store that you usually use.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
ADPi used to make small pin boxes, almost like a traveling pill case, and they were WONDERFUL!! I don't know about your rituals (nor should I) but with ours, having your pin so easily accessible is a joy. I don't think your guard would fit, but I'm sure there are some out there. Try whichever craft store that you usually use.
I second this. In college, I carried my badge in a small box in my bag if I needed it but wasn't wearing badge-attire.

rollthedice -- I can't tell the size of your badge, but a small box from Michaels might work. My family tree used silver boxes, so my big sister gave me a little silver favor box (like from a wedding) with a rose on top. It's filled with fabric from my wall letters and is the perfect size for carrying to meetings and pretty durable.