GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,477
0 members and 1,477 guests
No Members online

Old 01-17-2024, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

How to expand as a local?

Hey y'all, I was wondering if anyone who joined their org before it became national could offer me some advice.

I am in a local sorority, but we have 3 chapters and another one that is just starting up. The problem is, no college campus wants local orgs, so we only have one active (not including the new one) and they are being told that they cannot remain on campus. We are adapting by becoming more non-collegiate, but we still hope to one day gain the status of National.

For now, all of our chapters have been in downstate New York, but how can we expand to other states? The only reason we are able to start a new chapter is because I joined my org and then transferred out, so I have been starting the new chapter in my new location.

Any advice is appreciated!

(ps, should I take on a new scroll number and officially be in the founding line for this new chapter? idk since I already have my scroll number, line number, and sister name from my original chapter.)
Old 01-17-2024, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

To the PS: I am part of an arts fraternity and when I chartered a new chapter, nothing changed. I am a member of Phi Chapter, but my number remains the same.

To the main point, I googled your org and it has a pretty lengthy history - it existed before I first joined GreekChat. I think your longevity is important as well as your prior ability to expand.

But....

I think it's time to come together as a sisterhood and really discuss what you want your next steps to be, including your founders.

No pathway forward will be easy.

You could decide that you ARE a National Organization, get a national board, pursue the required insurance, and continue on pursuing inter-collegiate expansion.

You could decide to remain local, which means you're sort of relinquishing the right to grow.

You could decide that you want to pursue affiliation with a larger, older, national organization - which would most assuredly mean you give up your existing traditions, probably pay more money, and lose your identity as SIS - but potentially gain a much larger, more usely network of women.

I don't envy your position. Running an organization is hard enough, but then making these sorts of decisions is even tougher.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:16 PM

This is an AI free zone.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This is an AI free zone.
Which AI, Alum Initiate or Artificial Intellegence?

I ask because a few months ago GC had a thread going where the questions and answers from an OP seemed to be generated by Artificial Intelligence. Their long long long Q&A came so fast and furious it was as if programmed by someone typing 200 words a minute. Their syntax IMO was unusual, too. That thread was eventually deleted for no other reason I could see other than some mod figured out the OP was some type of AI bot.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.

Last edited by Cheerio; 02-18-2024 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
This is an AI free zone.
OMG, you're right. There was something about the stilted language and the odd switching of topics. We deal with it all the time at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
To those of us in ag, it means artificial insemination.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:16 AM

Alumni Initiate - welcome
Artificial Intelligence - not welcome
Artificial Insemination - not right here, please 🤣
Old 02-19-2024, 08:17 AM

Quote:

I ask because a few months ago GC had a thread going where the questions and answers from an OP seemed to be generated by Artificial Intelligence. Their long long long Q&A came so fast and furious it was as if programmed by someone typing 200 words a minute. Their syntax IMO was unusual, too. That thread was eventually deleted for no other reason I could see other than some mod figured out the OP was some type of AI bot.
I must have missed that, what was it about?
Old 02-19-2024, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
OMG, you're right. There was something about the stilted language and the odd switching of topics. We deal with it all the time at school.

To those of us in ag, it means artificial insemination.
Quote:
I must have missed that, what was it about?
You're right, 33girl, I dont recall you responding at all or only once to that OP months ago. That thread couldn't have been up more than a few days total.

Carnation has it right about that OP, their switching of thread topics was unusual, the language stilted, and it didn't follow our responses. Their posts tended to be long, ramble, and show up very fast after any of our responses, as if they'd been pre-typed and ready to go no matter our response.

I was about to ask in that thread if that OP was a bot/AI when the thread disappeared for no apparent reason and without a mod having warned the OP of a violation; I never saw a violation before it was removed. No big loss.

As to thread content it tended to be anything and everything about greek life.

Anyway, back to this thread's topic....

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.