GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,453
1 members and 2,452 guests
navane

Old 05-29-2020, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

OTOH, you do see the student who pledges freshman year and is all gung-ho and active through sophomore year, and then as juniors and seniors, their studies get more intense, or a relationship gets more intense, and they start to pull away from the sorority. It could offer a path for those types of personalities.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-30-2020, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I don’t like this idea. Most people move on from CC, so it’s sort of reinstating the idea that a sorority is temporary.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

For years I have thought that the one way to make this work would be to have an organization that was not an NPC organization, but more of an NPC sponsored organization. A member this organization would get the basics of what it means to be in a sorority, do some philanthropy as a group, and then when they move on to a four year institution, they could go through recruitment and join an NPC group.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post
For years I have thought that the one way to make this work would be to have an organization that was not an NPC organization, but more of an NPC sponsored organization. A member this organization would get the basics of what it means to be in a sorority, do some philanthropy as a group, and then when they move on to a four year institution, they could go through recruitment and join an NPC group.
The question is whether these groups would be sponsored by a single NPC organization (in which the question as to whether this gives them any more rights to join that specific one versus the rest of the NPC) or by the NPC in general, and if so, how do you handle the size of the group?
Old 05-30-2020, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
NPC has appointed a task force to study the possibility of allowing groups to establish on community college campuses.
Allowing it and having it be successful are 2 different things.

How many CC's have expressed an interest in having NPC's on campus? Or is the idea of being at CC's coming strictly from a number of NPC groups?

Thirdly, are there areas of the US [the South comes to mind] where numerous NPC moms bemoan the fact their CC-attending daughters aren't able to join an NPC group for 1-2 years before transferring to a 4-yr school? And sometimes, then, that these CC daughters may likely not be offered bids to Moms/Grandmoms NPC since DDs will not be full 4-year collegiate members? Thus the push for NPCs at CCs?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.

Last edited by Cheerio; 05-31-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
The question is whether these groups would be sponsored by a single NPC organization (in which the question as to whether this gives them any more rights to join that specific one versus the rest of the NPC) or by the NPC in general, and if so, how do you handle the size of the group?
No, I do not think an individual group could sponsor. I think it would have to be non-partial to any group. As to size, I am reminded that the first three chapters of Sigma Kappa were at Colby to limit size of the chapter. Frankly, due to the commuter focus of most of these community colleges, I can't see many of these organizations being too big. But if that was the case, two chapters could be formed.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No, I do not think an individual group could sponsor. I think it would have to be non-partial to any group. As to size, I am reminded that the first three chapters of Sigma Kappa were at Colby to limit size of the chapter. Frankly, due to the commuter focus of most of these community colleges, I can't see many of these organizations being too big. But if that was the case, two chapters could be formed.
So basically Foobar CC would have Alpha Lambda chapter of Nu Pi Chi and Beta Omega chapter of Nu Pi Chi?
Old 05-31-2020, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

IMO there are areas of the US...the South comes to mind...where CC NPCs would likely host larger sized chapters due to higher student interest.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmmm......why does Pandora's box come to mind?
Old 05-31-2020, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So basically Foobar CC would have Alpha Lambda chapter of Nu Pi Chi and Beta Omega chapter of Nu Pi Chi?
No - she means 2 GLOs would form chapters if they were very big..
Old 05-31-2020, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I like chapter A and chapter B of the same organization - not an NPC organization, but an NPC feeder organization.

Frankly, this idea of allowing NPC chapters at community colleges might be a very big can of worms because of the NPC policy against being a member of more than one organization. (Susie joins ABC sorority and then transfers to a campus that doesn't have a chapter of ABC. Or Susie isn't asked to affiliate. Or Susie doesn't feel she fits in with the chapter on the 4 year campus).

A bigger can of worms would be allowing membership in more than one organization to rectify the situations which might arise out of a community college policy. But I do think there is an opportunity to educate community college students about NPC organizations.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To riff on this idea, several NPHC organizations have affiliates for adults without degrees. The Zetas have their Amicae and the Sigma Gamma Rhos have their Philos.

Nothing binds these ladies to pledging those organizations if they ever enroll in and complete college.

So I could see an "Ivy Leaf Lady" at Elle M. Nop Community College graduating, transferring to Big State U., and knowing how to navigate Greek life because she was an Ivy Leaf Lady, but isn't required to join Alpha Phi. (Although maybe it should get her slightly more weight when considered.)

I could also see something like a Panhellenic Ladies League being successful, with PLL alumnae groups existing for those women who didn't go on to college, or to pledge in college....

But at the end of the day, I feel like coming to community colleges would be more of a financial decision for the individual members of NPC, and it wouldn't help them if NPC itself took on that responsibility.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
To riff on this idea, several NPHC organizations have affiliates for adults without degrees. The Zetas have their Amicae and the Sigma Gamma Rhos have their Philos.

Nothing binds these ladies to pledging those organizations if they ever enroll in and complete college.

So I could see an "Ivy Leaf Lady" at Elle M. Nop Community College graduating, transferring to Big State U., and knowing how to navigate Greek life because she was an Ivy Leaf Lady, but isn't required to join Alpha Phi. (Although maybe it should get her slightly more weight when considered.)

I could also see something like a Panhellenic Ladies League being successful, with PLL alumnae groups existing for those women who didn't go on to college, or to pledge in college....

But at the end of the day, I feel like coming to community colleges would be more of a financial decision for the individual members of NPC, and it wouldn't help them if NPC itself took on that responsibility.
Yes! You've articulated it much better than I did. Thank you.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

If I was on this task force, I'd be moving to adjourn 30 minutes into the first meeting.

So far, we've thought of about 10 downsides with this idea, and maybe one upside...facilitating membership and a longer collegiate sorority experience for women who start at community colleges and transfer to schools where juniors may have a really hard time getting a bid. But then there's the affiliation issue, so even the upside gets complicated....
Old 06-01-2020, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

The affiliation problems would get vicious, especially if women expected automatic affiliation.