GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24

Old 08-10-2011, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the informative replies and hilarious cookie analogies!

I thought we included legacy information on rush applications simply to let the sororities know we were familiar with the requirements and responsibilities that go along with membership in a GLO. That's why I was horrified to read that some groups could possibly assume that means the PNM is only interested in belonging to the same sorority, so would release her just because she is an XYZ legacy.

My daughter knows she will be truly fortunate to be accepted into any of the amazing sororities at Auburn and is certainly intending to maximize her possibilities. I hope she conveys this by her positive attitude, since we can't go back in time and note on her application that she is open to all of the groups (which, LtCol, is a great idea)!

And of course I know we do not know/cannot divulge membership selection info -- I guess I just wanted to know if you all thought the groups "traditionally" release legacies of all other sororities. In hindsight, I realize that was an irrational and kind of dumb thing to think. How could we poach legacies if that was the case??!! (JK) I can only plead that I was having a bit of a nervous breakdown last night when I read this thread.

Honestly, the next three days are going to be longest of my life!
Old 08-10-2011, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL at Literal Lady Fingers.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's time for a Sheetcake visit....

In all seriousness, when we get a rec where it indicates the PNM is a legacy elsewhere, it's more or less, "great, she is familiar with Greek Life and the time and resources that is requires". We also know that if a family member has been in a sorority, they have support from home during that familiar new-member slump that we always hear about.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I think it's time for a Sheetcake visit....
What, my cookies weren't enough?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
What, my cookies weren't enough?

Your cookies are deserving of their own Food Network Show. But I still want my Sheetcake.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:55 PM

LOL at the turn this thread has taken.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:11 AM

As NPCs age and have a larger alumnae base, I wonder if orgs may consider changing the definition of a legacy. If there are so many legacies running around, maybe "grandmother" is too distant of a relationship to require special consideration.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Nooooooo! At least I can hope that one of my granddaughters will go Pi Phi!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
As NPCs age and have a larger alumnae base, I wonder if orgs may consider changing the definition of a legacy. If there are so many legacies running around, maybe "grandmother" is too distant of a relationship to require special consideration.
Am I correct that Chi Omega already has this policy?

I have actually wondered the same thing. Some orgs, incluing my own, consider great-grandmother when defining legacy policy. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point groups decide to drop that one.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
Yes, you are correct. Mothers and sisters only and it's been that way as long as I can remember.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post

I have actually wondered the same thing. Some orgs, incluing my own, consider great-grandmother when defining legacy policy. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point groups decide to drop that one.
You never know how accurate Panhellenic recruitment books are, but here is the web address for the one from Kansas State.

http://www.k-state.edu/greek/documen...itment_002.pdf

On page 22, it lists what the 12 NPC groups at KSU consider to be legacies.
Chi O is the most restrictive and considers only sister and mother. TriDelta has dropped grandmother, but lists step-sister and step-mother. Zeta is the most inclusive and includes great-grandmother, aunts and step relatives.

(FYI The "fun" brochure with blurbs about all the sororities is http://www.k-state.edu/greek/documen...itment_002.pdf )
Old 08-11-2011, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought Alpha Xi Delta had the most liberal policy. Can't really remember, but I know a lot of chapters are now including "steps"

Alpha Xi:
Definition. An Alpha Xi Delta legacy is the granddaughter, daughter, sister, or niece of an Alpha Xi Delta member in good standing. Where there are equivalent step- or half-relations resulting from blended or other non-traditional family structures, a young woman is considered a legacy if the Alpha Xi Delta member considers her to be one and asks that she be considered as a legacy on the Potential Member Profile.

Zeta:
Legacy: a potential member whose mother, sister, or grandmother is an alumnus or active member of that particular
national or international sorority

Last edited by Benzgirl; 08-11-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I thought Alpha Xi Delta had the most liberal policy. Can't really remember, but I know a lot of chaptes are now including "steps"

Alpha Xi:

Definition. An Alpha Xi Delta legacy is the granddaughter, daughter, sister, or niece of an Alpha Xi Delta member in good standing. Where there are equivalent step- or half-relations resulting from blended or other non-traditional family structures, a young woman is considered a legacy if the Alpha Xi Delta member considers her to be one and asks that she be considered as a legacy on the Potential Member Profile.
I thought Sigma Kappas was similar to AXiDs. (Although I could be very wrong).

My chapter had a member with a great legacy story to go with our more liberal policy. Her birth mother was an AXiD and her birth mother passed away when she was about 4. She does not remember her except in photos. Her birth mom had a wonderful set of sisters from her chapter who stepped in and basically helped her father raise her and her brother for their entire lives. She said she always had 5 mothers - all AXiDs. The father eventually married another woman, who had pledged AXiD in college, but never initiated. When she came through recruitment, she told this story and as incredible as it sounds, it completely checked out. She listed her legacy affiliation (her birth mom) on her recruitment form, but then also listed these 5 other women as very important people in her life - she knew their maiden names, initiation years and chapters. They all wrote her glowing recs.

After the member was initiated, the 5 women came to visit her and she brought them to the house and introduced them all as her "moms". It was a great story of sisterhood!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I thought Alpha Xi Delta had the most liberal policy. Can't really remember, but I know a lot of chapters are now including "steps"
I don't think ours has been posted, but we also include "steps" and "adopteds". Our entire Legacy policy is online for anyone to see at http://tinyurl.com/3cpt7o9
Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
I don't think ours has been posted, but we also include "steps" and "adopteds". Our entire Legacy policy is online for anyone to see at http://tinyurl.com/3cpt7o9
I wish we included aunts, though. I'd love to pass my legacy through my nieces. They are already AOII legacies through their mother, but in my heart, they are my legacies, too.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!