GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,895
0 members and 1,895 guests
No Members online

Old 10-14-2011, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUBlue&Blue View Post
And going back to a conversation last year about names, they have a Laken and a Larken in this new member class.
Did you see Pi Phi? I think I counted 6 SIX girls named Mackenzie. And there were still more Mackenzie's that pledged other houses.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I pulled this from the Ole Miss newspaper -- if anyone's interested:

Girls: 1215 registered for formal recruitment
1073 (88.3% received bids)
942 (77.5% received bids from their "first" choice)

(Interesting though - my daughter and her friends thought it was 1240 - they heard this number repeatedly - so maybe an error in the paper and then the percentages are lower?)

But, assuming the newspaper was correct, these numbers were helped by those houses that exceeded quota - some having as many as 131.

Quota was 117. (With 9 sororities, this says to me that Ole Miss does want to place as many girls as possible)

Boys: 1082 registered for formal recruitment (and it is formal!)
74.3% received bids
762 (70.4% received bids from their "first" choice)

Interesting info re the guys side of things: I have two friends with freshman boys at Ole Miss. They don't know each other. Each of their sons was given a bid (before formal recruitment started) from ABC (the same very large, national frat). Both bids were revoked -- on the last night of recruitment according to the moms. So neither pledged anywhere.

I don't know how guys' recruitment works totally, but I do know they went to all houses, ranked, etc, But, I wanted to share this story and point out their to show that the guys at Ole Miss have it tough, too. If they don't go visit during the summer and really network during the first month of school, it's really hard for them to get plugged in. This message really needs to get out.

And, to continue along the same lines (which I should probably just post on the Frat site), my brother-in-law, a KA from Clemson, was horrified to learn that his recommendation letter to the Bama KA house got there "too late". Even though they had formal rush, all the bids were really already given. My friend's son at UGA didn't get a bid pre-rush since he hadn't signed up yet. So he had to go through formal there and heard frat guys tell the guys "we only have 5 bids left". Luckily, this UGA boy had been going to summer parties and his house was holding a bid for him.

These guys around the south at least need to know that they need to work all summer!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgreekmommy View Post
But, assuming the newspaper was correct, these numbers were helped by those houses that exceeded quota - some having as many as 131.

Quota was 117. (With 9 sororities, this says to me that Ole Miss does want to place as many girls as possible)
I won't swear I'm 100% right on this but I don't think quota is set until the last round of parties. There are girls that are either cut completely out after first or second round OR choose to drop out after first or second round.

With quota addition, I believe a girl WILL get a bid as long as she got invited back somewhere for pref and didn't drop any sorority herself without having to (i.e.-you have to cut down to 6 for skit or 3 for pref so can't go back to 9 all the way through).
Old 10-17-2011, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quota is set AFTER all bid cardsare signed and turned in.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Quota is set AFTER all bid cardsare signed and turned in.

Makes sense... during the pre-rush meetings , my daughter said the Gamma Chis were saying that they expected quota to be between 120 and 125.

I do love that rush is done like this now... picking the top 6 but being able to rank the bottom 3 ranking after skit round , and picking top 3 but being able to rank bottom three.

Back in my day, getting cut out was such a greater likelihood... and mis-matching was such a problem.

Just knowing that IF she went to three houses for Pref and IF she ranked all three that she was guaranteed a bid at one of the three (at least that's what she was told) was such a relief to her. I think it really helped her relax.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss Panhellenic has selected March 6-8 for informal rush.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:01 PM

^^^Interesting. Have they had a large scale spring recruitment like this before? Are all chapters participating?

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss Spring 2012

Spring informal recruitment has been happening at Ole Miss since at least 1990 if not before. Any group that is not at house total (299) and did not fill Fall Quota may participate. A potential new member would need to contact Greek Life to find out which Ole Miss Chapters are participating.

While Ole Miss allows PNM's to participate in Recruitment with a 2.5 GPA, most Chapters won't ever accept anything less than a 3.0 from a New Member. For women that were cut early, due to grades etc. and that had a successful Fall academic semester, or other women who felt they were overlooked in the 1,240 PNM's in Recruitment, this is a great opportunity for the Greek experience.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 02-20-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-20-2012, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Good grief - total is 299 - I've been howling about total of 200 at Arizona. I need to go hang with the people in MISSISSIPPI and get my attitude adjusted, apparently. Obviously, actually.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 02-20-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: I know that Alabama =/= Mississippi, I apologize, thanks for not jumping on me, people!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to our world!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Looking at these total numbers are amazing to me. In my day--- before Edison invented the light bulb--- our campus raised cap on house total to 65! When I pledged there were 24 collegians and 14 pledges.

DaffyKD
Old 09-12-2012, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgreekmommy View Post
Hello everyone! I'm so excited to be on this page -- as an ecstatic Mom!

My daughter had an amazing, amazing rush! We really did everything we could to make it great -- but we are not from Mississippi, so we were very worried! We had several recs for each house and were fortunate to have Ole Miss recs for several houses. This was KEY! When she chose Ole Miss, she knew one girl in one sorority... that's it.

She had her top 6 for skit round and her top 3 for prefs! So many girls were not so fortunate. We just couldn't believe it. Each night we'd talk about how crazy it was that she was doing so great! We'd heard all the stories about how brutal Ole Miss Rush could be, and she saw evidence all around her.

She was blessed to pledge her top choice and to be in such a great sorority. Her friends from home also pledged their top houses... so to all the future out-of-state Ole Miss Moms, it is possible. Just be sure you have LOTS of recs for each house and do your best to find recs from Ole Miss alums.

And I know without a doubt that the late rush really helped my daughter and the other out-of-state girls. She was able to get to know more girls and see which houses she wanted to keep and which she wanted to cut.

She is so happy and we are so proud of her! She's now a DDD from Ole Miss!
QFP.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

AAG, you're mean. Rockin, but mean.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

AAG, I heart you. A lot.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Please feel free to join the 2012 thread if you so desire