GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Omega > Omega Psi Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,637
2 members and 1,635 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 07-08-2001, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DELTAQTE Send a message via Yahoo to DELTAQTE
Talking Da Bruhs!

Hey family!

Is it just me, or does it irk you to NO END hearing other frats call themselves "bruhs?" A member of a sorority said to me "where are my bruhs at?" and I looked at her like she was crazy!

The bruhs do not get enough credit for stuff. Like the term "be out", hopping, and set outs. Why is that?

Much love to da bruhs

QTE
Old 07-08-2001, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

AWwww ..... you are reading my mind!!!

I was watching a step show tape just yesterday, and while another frat was stepping, you could hear some of their frat in the crowd yelling "BE OUT!!" My mouth dropped!!

There's only one frat with Bruhs! There's only one frat that Hops! Only one frat that knows how to BE OUT and Set out visiting bruhs! And that one frat is QUE! HOWEVER, many, rather all, the others take a bit of Omega and try to make it their own.

The way I stay sane about it and keep from getting riled up is to remember what has been said for years: "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery."

And on a side note, you always hear about someone who tried to pledge Que and didn't make it, so they pledged something else. But you NEVER hear of someone who tried to pledge something else and didn't make it, so they pledged Que. And you'll never hear the latter....but it's the former that contributes to the emulation of Da Bruhs!

But I swear, If I hear a ROOO come from some other frat, they'll be exposed to another bruh word....wreck.

------------------
T.J.
Da Nasty Lone Dog
1-Phi Omicron-SMR '00
Check me out:www.angelfire.com/ca6/goldboots
Old 07-08-2001, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DELTAQTE Send a message via Yahoo to DELTAQTE
Well you couldn't come to Fresno Cali! Cause our Alphas HOP to atomic dogg every time it comes on just because it makes the bruhs mad, and they don't give a dang either. Just hopping and yelling A Phi A, lol.

QTE
Old 07-10-2001, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

In Nashville they'll get beat up badly. The Swalpha's always trying to prove they are men. They need to quit. and sale make-up like they've been doing.
Old 07-10-2001, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I met the Fresno State Bruhs before. I can't believe that they let some Alphas get away with that. Never heard of the Alphas disrespecting Bruhs like that. That is a sure fire way to start a fight.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I am new to this site and I am checking out the scene here so hope I am not intruding....

I have heard other frats use the term "brushs" since at least 1982 when a friend of mine pledged Kappa in New Orleans, since everybody says "bruh"......I pledged Alpha in 1986 and at Howard we said Bros...(long O sound)...BUT I have heard other Alphas use "bruh" else...now granted I have never heard any Alphas use the term "hop". we say "step"..... I know at Howard we respected the Omegas and the Omegas respected us.....

Later,

Old Head Ape
Old 07-31-2001, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DELTAQTE:
Hey family!

Is it just me, or does it irk you to NO END hearing other frats call themselves "bruhs?" A member of a sorority said to me "where are my bruhs at?" and I looked at her like she was crazy!

The bruhs do not get enough credit for stuff. Like the term "be out", hopping, and set outs. Why is that?

Much love to da bruhs

QTE

Soror,
Tell me about it!!!
A friend of mine pledged SGRho and she called one of the Kappas her "Bruh"...I politely had to set her straight
Oo-oop

Old 07-31-2001, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Head Ape:
I am new to this site and I am checking out the scene here so hope I am not intruding....

I have heard other frats use the term "brushs" since at least 1982 when a friend of mine pledged Kappa in New Orleans, since everybody says "bruh"......I pledged Alpha in 1986 and at Howard we said Bros...(long O sound)...BUT I have heard other Alphas use "bruh" else...now granted I have never heard any Alphas use the term "hop". we say "step"..... I know at Howard we respected the Omegas and the Omegas respected us.....

Later,

Old Head Ape
What up Greek? Welcome to our world. You are quite right about the universiality of some phrases in Greekdom, but if I can beg to differ on a small point.

There are some things that others may say or do but are associated with one frat/sorority. "Bruh" is definitely a term associated with Omega. It has caught on with others, but AKAs have always referred to Alphas as "fam" or something else, but generally not "my bruhs" or "the bruhs". The Alphas or the Kappas don't really bite like the wannabe somebodies. I better stop before I make people mad. Imitation is not flattery. It means that you are unoriginal.

Thank you Sorors for having our back!!
Old 07-31-2001, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

o.k. I'm so not understanding this. I must agree with the Alpha. Bruh or Bro--can't tell the difference in speech--is just a short form of the word brother, and since fraternities are BROTHERHOODS, I don't understand why people feel as though the QUES have a 'patent' so to speak on this word. People say bruh all the time in everyday language who don't know, or care, about BGLO life what so ever. So, no disrespect to anyone, but I feel as though Ques are not the only ones who have the right to refer to others in their organization as 'BRUH'. Much love to all the sorors and the Ques though, so, don't take it out of context.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror DST-philoso4:

I have to respectfully disagree with you.

Sure, everyone used the term "bruh" in everyday language however, the term "bruhs" as well as the other terms detailed in this post tend to be exclusive to well..."THE BRUHS"

I am sure that people use the term "fam" speaking of their true, blood family members, but you will never hear a Soror refer to an Omega man as her "fam" simply out of respect and due to the fact that the AKAs and Alphas use the term to refer to one another.

I will say that I have looked upside some folks' heads when I hear them refer to their respective frat as bruhs. Shoot. Come with something else, be original...there are a lot of other ways to refer to your brother as far as I am concerned...bruthee, brutthaaaaz, something else.

I can't believe frat from CS Fresno are allowing people to get away with that. That is so unlike the bruhs...were they recently re-instated or something...that's crazy.

Wasn't there a similar thread to this one posted in this forum before?
Old 08-01-2001, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Well then, we'll just agree to disagree. I don't find it offensive at all when other frat. refer to each other as such--Bruh/Bro. I don't refer to anyone as such, or fam to be perfectly honest. And when, exactly, was it written in stone this was a term that could is to be used solely by the Omegas? I'm still looking for that on paper. If Sorors and Ques were to call each other fam, I don't foresee members of the 06-08 clique being upset. Who cares? It's not like they say "what's up bruh" as they throw up the hook or something!!! As long as they keep it respectful, it really doesn't matter to me. This is one of the problems within the greater black community now. It's like, in general, people try to validate themselves by aesthetic means, and become highly upset when people 'cross' over the 'validation line' so to speak. To me, getting upset over someone using the word 'bruh' is worse than people ready to fight over others stepping on their gym shoes. Black people we need to wake up, and realize before 'bruh' and 'soror' we are all just black. And honestly, where it counts most, that's all we still are to most others.

Unity is essential, and we must remember, the most important components of UNITY are
U and I

Much love to the GREEK FAM!!!!!
Old 08-01-2001, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorors, you always see the phrase 'bruhs and reds', to whom is this referring - Deltas and Omegas; noone else!

------------------
MCCOYRED
Mu Psi '86
BaltCo Alumnae

Dynamic...Salient...Temperate...Since 1913
Old 08-01-2001, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DST_philoso4:
This is one of the problems within the greater black community now. It's like, in general, people try to validate themselves by aesthetic means, and become highly upset when people 'cross' over the 'validation line' so to speak. To me, getting upset over someone using the word 'bruh' is worse than people ready to fight over others stepping on their gym shoes. Black people we need to wake up, and realize before 'bruh' and 'soror' we are all just black. And honestly, where it counts most, that's all we still are to most others.

Unity is essential, and we must remember, the most important components of UNITY are
U and I

Much love to the GREEK FAM!!!!!
I guess you are a philosopher, because it really is not that deep. No one is going to blows over it. We don't own the phrase "bruh"
But it is/was unique to Omega and especially Delta/Omega when referring to our relationship. When orgs start losing their individuality, we all become just an indistinguishable mishmash, not only to outsiders, but to each other. We are all Black, and we are all Greek, but we should all be distintive
Old 08-01-2001, 01:46 PM

There is universal Greek terminology, and there is Greek terminology that you only hear in certain regions.
However, no matter where you go...da bruhs call eachother "BRUHS." In general, non-Greeks say "bruh," but Greeks were saying "bro" for the longest, now many of them are saying bruh. I had a Kappa tell me a long time ago that they don't say bruh b/c they're not Ques...they say bro. This word isn't the only word that has been adopted by other orgs. but, it depends on where you live and the interaction b/w the orgs.
This isn't an all important discussion, we're not disrespecting any organization, we're just making observations. We're cool...life is good.

OOO-OOP Sorors!
Coleman Love, bruhs!
Greek Love to the Greek Fam!

CHAOS

[This message has been edited by ChaosDST (edited August 01, 2001).]
Old 08-01-2001, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DoggyStyle82:
I guess you are a philosopher, because it really is not that deep. No one is going to blows over it. We don't own the phrase "bruh"
But it is/was unique to Omega and especially Delta/Omega when referring to our relationship. When orgs start losing their individuality, we all become just an indistinguishable mishmash, not only to outsiders, but to each other. We are all Black, and we are all Greek, but we should all be distintive
The whole point of my story was, IT'S NOT THAT DEEP!!!! Who cares who calls who what. It will NOT be a 'mishmash' if we use similar terminology, well, to me anyway. But, that's your opinion, and this is mine. Peace.