GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,735
3 members and 2,732 guests
PGD-GRAD, Sarak24034

Old 02-18-2007, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Outraged Readers Cancelling SI Subscriptions

This sister's blog went out of the way to superbly describe the issue at hand. So I just copied and pasted what she wrote. I take NO credit here:

Outraged Sports Illustrated readers are flooding the SI offices with angry phone calls and emails demanding subscription cancellations. The furor erupted after Sports Illustrated's celebrated annual "Swimsuit Issue" hit the stands with Beyonce on the cover and an inside shot of a smug Kanye West gripping a models derriere.

Angry comments have been posted on this site as well as other blogs and message boards. "Is this the Swimsuit Issue or the Ghetto issue?" read one post. A source inside the SI mail room emailed me to say longtime subscribers are angry. "The calls are nonstop," she wrote. "Some of these guys have been subscribing to Sports Illustrated for years just so they can get the Swimsuit Issue before it hits the stands. This is like blasphemy to most of them who don't know who Beyonce or Kanye are."

A local newspaper reporter who asked not to be identified said, "So many women grew up identifying with the models in the Swimsuit Issue. They don't see themselves in Beyonce. SI has made a mockery of their core demographic with this issue."

So far, SI hasn't commented publicly on the complaints. But insiders say SI is discreetly emailing members of the mainstream media emphasizing the point that the Swimsuit Issue is a "Music Issue". But critics are asking how can it be both? "They should make up their minds," wrote one angry poster on a sports-related board. "Either it's the Swimsuit Issue or the Rap Issue. SI can cancel my subscription!"

By Sandra Rose

Last edited by MzDoctaKay; 02-18-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-18-2007, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I kind of figured that this would happen. I was actually very surprised they put Kanye and that model in the pics together.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

White people are just mad that a black dude is gripping some white model's butt. If it were Nick Lachey doing the butt fondling then nobody would be offended. Why isn't it the "ghetto issue" when black athletes (many from the ghetto) are gracing the covers of the magazine monthly? Haters.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKEEphistAKAte View Post
White people are just mad that a black dude is gripping some white model's butt. If it were Nick Lachey doing the butt fondling then nobody would be offended. Why isn't it the "ghetto issue" when black athletes (many from the ghetto) are gracing the covers of the magazine monthly? Haters.
How intelligent.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=MzDoctaKay;1400348]This sister's blog went out of the way to superbly describe the issue at hand. So I just copied and pasted what she wrote. I take NO credit here:

I wonder if her back hurt after she tried to push it out to make herself look like she had a butt?
Old 02-18-2007, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=pinkies up;1400437]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzDoctaKay View Post
This sister's blog went out of the way to superbly describe the issue at hand. So I just copied and pasted what she wrote. I take NO credit here:

I wonder if her back hurt after she tried to push it out to make herself look like she had a butt?
Well, if she had "a butt" she probably wouldn't have that modeling job, so I don't think she's too jealous.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkies up View Post
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
Well, if she had "a butt" she probably wouldn't have that modeling job, so I don't think she's too jealous.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Saying it is also a music issue IS a cop out. And very honestly I don't like the Kanye pic either. Do better, SI.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 02-18-2007, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzDoctaKay View Post
Angry comments have been posted on this site as well as other blogs and message boards. "Is this the Swimsuit Issue or the Ghetto issue?" read one post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKEEphistAKAte View Post
I can always count on my Soror-twin!

Quote:
This is like blasphemy to most of them who don't know who Beyonce or Kanye are."
Where have hey been for the past two to five years?

Quote:
A local newspaper reporter who asked not to be identified said, "So many women grew up identifying with the models in the Swimsuit Issue. They don't see themselves in Beyonce. SI has made a mockery of their core demographic with this issue."
Apparently, this is saying that SI is NOT for "us." I don't know about everyone else, nor can speak for everyone, but I have NEVER identified with anyone in SI. Not even "slim" Tyra when she was on the cover. Maybe I could identify with the fact that she was black... *shrug* So, in other words, forget trying to get new fans. They aren't trying to appeal to any other demographic.

Quote:
So far, SI hasn't commented publicly on the complaints. But insiders say SI is discreetly emailing members of the mainstream media emphasizing the point that the Swimsuit Issue is a "Music Issue". But critics are asking how can it be both? "They should make up their minds," wrote one angry poster on a sports-related board. "Either it's the Swimsuit Issue or the Rap Issue. SI can cancel my subscription!"
If ONE issue has folks up in arms, let them kick rocks!
Old 02-18-2007, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
How intelligent.
How insightful.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BlessedOne04 Send a message via Yahoo to BlessedOne04
What is funny that no one boycots King, or Maxim or any other mag with offensive images of women. what makes this different?
Old 02-18-2007, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedefinedDiva View Post
Apparently, this is saying that SI is NOT for "us." I don't know about everyone else, nor can speak for everyone, but I have NEVER identified with anyone in SI.
Me neither.

It's a jungle out there.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
I don't like the Kanye pic either.

Neither do I.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone else find it rather odd and/or interesting that the only place this matter has been brought up is here with the OP's unlinked, copied report?

I have neither heard or seen anything about this anywhere else.

Have to start to wonder if this is the start of another UL.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne04 View Post
What is funny that no one boycots King, or Maxim or any other mag with offensive images of women. what makes this different?
This is different because a BLACK man is gripping a WHITE woman's butt with a "smug" look on his face.