GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,458
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, SSPrintingLLC
» Online Users: 2,772
1 members and 2,771 guests
No Members online

Old 02-15-2002, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Reaffiliation

Ok, I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured this would be a good start. I am tinking about reaffiliating with my Chapter of Sigma Kappa here at WSU but I do need some advice. Let me give you a little background.

I joined in Fall of 98 and was an active member for one year. I was treasuer for the last 5 months that I was there, and enjoyed being on Exec and having an active role in the chapter. However, at the time, Iw asn't very social, and i don't think that I took full advantage of the interaction opportuinites with my sisters. Due to (and this is the truth) me haveing a "freshman year" (read: not so great grades) I decided to go home and take a year or two off of school and get my priorities straightened out. While I was home, I helped to re-colonize an defunct Alumnae Chapter in my area and tried to remain an active member of it as much as possible.
This summer, I decided the best thing to do was to come back to school and get my degree. Most of my pledge class will be graduating this May, but the new members (ones that I don't know very well since they joined while I was gone) are very positive and friendly, even to the alum that they don't know who drops by. Every time I have come to the house, I have been revieved warmly, not as "that alum here again...". Recently I have been thinking about reaffiliating with my chapter and living in the chapter house next year. I do not know how a 22 year old junior will be recieved, but I will not be graduating until at least May '04 or May '05 due to a doible major, so I will be here for a while. I have talked to a couple of the older members Iknow, and some of the newer ones, and mentioned the idea vaguely and it hasn't been ill recieved, which is good. I've also ben encouraged to come to as many events as I can make it to (which almost makes me feel active and not some old alum... I love it!)

My question: Am I too old for this? Should I just remain an active alum and support The chapter from this side? Or should I reaffiliate and perhaps gain more confidence, leadership, and sisterhhod, and many wonderful memories?

Please, any and all answers would help!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-15-2002, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

IT sounds like you love your sorority and that is the type of members org.s need. Sense I'm not in a sorority it might be different but if we had a guy that was that active with us even after leaving school we would def. want him back. It sounds like you something you want to do so i say go for it.
Old 02-15-2002, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Not old how you are but if within a few years of the gang there, go for it! I have slept many a weekends on the couches or in the upper bunks of Brothers and I and as some say older than dirt!

If you feel welcome then you are back in the fold of Sister Hood or Brother Hood!

Fear not but go for it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-15-2002, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Go for it! If you like the current girls and they like you, it'll be a blast. And I'm sure they'll love having someone who has the kind of experience you'll bring, having been an alum and seeing another side of the sorority.
Old 02-15-2002, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I think that you should talk to the sorority about reaffiliating. I think that it should not be a problem if you are willing to get involved and pay your dues. When a sister from my chapter would return from studying abroad for a semester, she wouldn't know the new sisters so she would meet with them either as a pledge class or individually in order to get acquainted. I suggest that you do this with all of the sisters that you don't know so you can feel comfortable with each other. Let them know that you are interested in becoming active again and what you now have to offer to the sorority now. I hope that it all works out for you.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the responses.. I'm going to be going down to the house this weekend to see if it's even a possbility ($$ might be a reason it might not happen) But here's hoping all goes well. I'll keep you guys posted!
Old 02-16-2002, 05:30 PM

Thumbs up One more

Definitely reaffiliate!! One of my little's pledge sisters was in & out of school for financial & personal reasons (she had pledged older to begin with) and was like 25-26 when she came back and lived in the house. She was very active and all the "young uns" just adored her. Plus she was a great built-in alumnae liason.

You'll probably enjoy being active even more, having taken a break from it. Hopefully the $$$ will not be a problem!! Let us know what you decide.
Old 02-16-2002, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
If you were initiated into that chapter and you are still an undergrad, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from coming back. One of my sorority sisters did this, she transferred away for a year and then transferred back and she just started coming to meetings and paying dues again...no biggie. Just make sure that you know that there really is a big difference between a 22 year old and an 18 year old who is joining your sorority. Sometimes you might look at the newer girls and just shake your head!
Old 02-17-2002, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I had the Pleasure of attending the Dinner Last Night at the Kansas City Regional Concalve of LXA! I wish I could have been there for all 3 days! There were a few of what my Chapter calls me OLD FART, there were others of my matureity! What impressed me most was the Dedication of Us Old Farts and the Young Men who are the Future of LXA!

I met Brothers from as Far away as U Wy. to N. Ill. I had the pleasure of sitting with a Chapter who is in the KC Area and talking with other chapters from KC.

If you do not think you can be of service, reflect what the Fraternity/Soroity met to you and go from there!

For you who are looking to joing Greekdom, do not give up hope, as it is one of the most rewarding things that you will ever do!

To Strive makes the rewards that much stronger! If it is so easy it is not worth the work to do!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-22-2002, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Well guys, I'm going to my Chapter's Lock-in tonight, where I shoule be able to meet all the women, get aquainted or reaquainted, and get the *HUGE* dose of sisterhood I need right now! Then, if it all works out right, I write a letter saying i want to reaffiliate, and they vote. Wish me luck, and I'll keep you posted!
Old 02-23-2002, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

It went Great last night! It was wonderful to just be there and feel like I was already a part of it again. We had one activity where we had to tell someone something nice about them, or somehting nice they've done, and one of the members I knew told me that when I called to tell her I was coming last night, she was so excited she was bragging to everyone, and saying how excited she was. She said that she was so glad I was coming around and being an active alum, but she hoped I wanted to be more. I started to cry and she did too, and it was just a great moment! I got to stay up so late and just talk with the members I didn't know, and it was exactly what I needed. So today, I get to sit down and write my letter and then they vote on it Monday, and I should know by monday night! I'm so excited, and I don't think there will be any problems! Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 02-23-2002, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

good luck with the voting process, I am sure that it will go your way, you sound like you would be a total asset to your chapter... keep us posted ...
Old 02-25-2002, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad it went so well. Good luck with the voting!
Old 02-28-2002, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I found out yesterday: I'M BACK!!!! The vote went great from what I hear, and I'm all set to become active effective August this year. Until then, I will remain active Alum, and go to all the workshops and what not. I'm just so incredibly excited and happy right now! I've been giddy ever since I found out! I have my first Rush workshop tonight, and I've already gotten a bunch of calls to just say hi, which was great! Thank you guys for the support, I really appreciate it.. dang.. now I'm going to have to change my screen name.. or not.. anyway, thank you guys again!
Old 02-28-2002, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

GOODO, AND CONGRATS!

There was never any doubt in my mind that you should be accepted! Remember you are one of us! The GCers!

What school are you at?

LX Z # 1
Alumni