GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,681
2 members and 1,679 guests
MSKKG, PiperJarma

Old 06-10-2009, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Too old to wear letters around?

Right... so the other day it was actually cold in DC. Figure that. Anyhow, while I will wear old college t-shirts outside and to the gym, some that I got at greek events, I save wearing my letters for just puttering around the house. I went outside to run errands in long-sleeved letters (in fact, the shirt I received from my big when I was initiated) and I got looks that would embarrass anyone. Someone actually said "Reliving glory days? What a loser!"

So my question is this: is there an age where it just becomes... weird to wear letters somewhere? Your comments/advice would be appreciated. And by the way, I am 28 years old. And I look 28. Not 60. Maybe I'm just caring too much about what others think...

Sigh.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm 27 and I wouldn't wear letters out unless it was mandated by an alum event or something.

It's not that I'm not 'proud' or anything, but just like other articles of clothing that I wore in high school or college, I just feel I've outgrown them and tend to prefer to dress more my age. I still do have my shirts and stuff, but they are tucked away in a drawer. Some people put them on a quilt too.

I don't regularly wear t-shirts anymore either unless it's to sleep in, so that might be another reason why the lettered shirts don't ever make it out.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

It's not like I dress like I'm in college every day... It was a chilly weekend day and I was walking a few blocks away to buy cat litter. Hardly a day to wear something nice. My only long-sleeved tees are college ones, since I don't really wear tees anymore. Anyways, with 10-hour days in suits during the week, I think I would be allowed to tone it down when I'm taking a break from cleaning my house and running an errand. But that's just my take, I guess.

Again, thoughts and comments are welcome!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:50 PM

I have a piece of lettered jewelry that I wear everyday.

In terms of actual letters, I tend to wear them on walks, to the gym, or around the house. I'll occasionally wear them running a short errand or 2. I'm 24.

However, I suggest doing what YOU want and not caring what others say.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-10-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
Maybe I'm just caring too much about what others think...
This.

Maybe it's a council thing, but I say you're a grown woman -- wear what you want. Unless you're actually trying to relive glory days (hanging out at a fraternity house or showing up to ALL collegiate events), you should be fine.

ETA: I'm 24. I wear letters from time to time, but I don't really pay attention to "those" looks.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
So my question is this: is there an age where it just becomes... weird to wear letters somewhere?
Not in BGLO culture.

It isn't uncommon to see BGLO members 60-80+ years old wearing letters (including hats and shirts) out and about. It's great.

A sad thing happened in undergrad when someone's parent or grandparent was visiting the campus and wore his Sigma Chi (I think) sweatshirt. Some of the students were laughing at him. My friends and I thought it was wonderful that he still owned and wore his letters. And we weren't even in BGLOs yet.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
I wear letters from time to time. I only have a few t-shirts, so if I'm just running out somewhere, I might throw one of those shirts on. I'm a very active alum within my sorority and like wearing letters once in a while. I'm 24 btw.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Unless you're actually trying to relive glory days (hanging out at a fraternity house or showing up to ALL collegiate events), you should be fine.
Haha this reminds me of a girl who was around Morgantown my first few years of college. She was an alumna from another sorority on campus, and I believe my freshman year she was 28. She actually attended rush and spoke to girls (not just handed out drinks or something), she was more of a "floater" (come to think of it, is that even allowed to have an alumna rushing girls?). But it was well known that if she didn't like you, her opinion still weighed heavily with the sorority. She still went to events too, I distinctly remember seeing her wasted at Derby Days that spring. Pretty pathetic.

To answer the OP's question though, I graduated 2 years ago and still wear sorority shirts, but not letter shirts. I have a few letter tank tops I may wear to the dog park, but nowhere else. I feel like letter shirts are definitely part of an active's wardrobe, and event shirts can be worn for several years post-college.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=WVU alpha phi;1815898]Haha this reminds me of a girl who was around Morgantown my first few years of college. She was an alumna from another sorority on campus, and I believe my freshman year she was 28. She actually attended rush and spoke to girls (not just handed out drinks or something), she was more of a "floater" (come to think of it, is that even allowed to have an alumna rushing girls?). But it was well known that if she didn't like you, her opinion still weighed heavily with the sorority. She still went to events too, I distinctly remember seeing her wasted at Derby Days that spring. Pretty pathetic.QUOTE]

Wow... that's pretty bad. Granted, there's an alumni association in my area that I'm not involved in, I don't live anywhere near my college, and I haven't been to a college event since college (even an athletic event), but I guess I'll just have to wear a sweatshirt or something next time. Oh well.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:24 PM

If someone felt the need to comment on your clothes while you were at the drugstore or whatever, might I suggest that it is THEY who have the problem, not you. When you get older you tend to stop buying casual run to the store clothing like sweats & t shirts...mainly because you have to sink beaucoup bucks into your work wardrobe. I think it's ridiculous to buy clothes you don't need and not wear something just because there are letters on it.

However, I draw the line at wearing my tomato red sorority jacket to the store. LOL
Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Not in BGLO culture.

It isn't uncommon to see BGLO members 60-80+ years old wearing letters (including hats and shirts) out and about. It's great.
I Love when I see older BGLO women wearing their para. A couple of weeks ago I saw an older Zeta (55+) wearing a line jacket. It mustve been relatively new as it still looked "fresh", but she looked nice, really poised and put together even in a line jacket. It made me smile. I Love seeing older alums of any organization proudly wearing letters. I carry my letter tote bag almost everyday as it is my gym bag. I'm sure I get looks walking into work with it, but whatever.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I graduated 3 years ago and left almost every article of Theta clothing as hand-me-downs to sisters younger than me...that was really common in my chapter. I do have a Theta sweatshirt (with the word spelled out, not letters) that I wear to run errands but that's about it.

Lately I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a nice piece of jewelry or something I could routinely wear.

ETA: I completely agree with 33girl that if people are commenting on your clothes like that, it reflects poorly on them, not you.

Last edited by ThetaDancer; 06-10-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

That's a good point, guys. I live within blocks of Howard University and routinely see older women in their jackets. It especially makes me smile when they're walking in a big group together.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's a good point, ladies. I live within blocks of Howard University and routinely see older women in their jackets. It especially makes me smile when they're walking in a big group together.

HU is the Mecca of BGLOdom, in general, so you will see BGLOers walking in groups and you will see older members (faculty, alum, visitors, etc.) walking around in letters sometimes.

On another note, I am glad that I'm no longer the oldest person in this thread. Happy belated birthday, 33girl, and I'm sure your tomato red jacket is really nice. You should still wear it.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Alums, do you still wear your letters?