GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,203
0 members and 1,203 guests
No Members online

Old 11-24-2000, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Greek Unity

This is a post I copied from another "What is XYZ like..." thread.

originally posted by NUPE4LIFE:

I don't really like post like this. I'm sure Phimugirl that you had good intentions though. I just feel like the organization as a whole is bigger than the chapter. We all know that on cetain campuses an organization is not as popular as it might be on another, but it's still Phi Mu or whatever. I took an oath to Kappa Alpha Psi, not to my chapter. I don't care what people think of my organization on campus, for Kappa is the same everywhere you go. We're bunch of brothers for which Achievement is our main purpose.

Well said, NUPE4LIFE! I am so tired of hearing "Whats XYZ like...blahblahblah..."

Chapters will vary...brother/sisterhood will not (or should not - if it does then there would be a question...). If you want to know what a group is "like" somewhere, then email them and say "hey - I'm going to school here next fall and want some more info on your group"...or at least go under the organization's forum on here and ask.

And no, I don't consider myself to be the "thought police" and I know you have a right to post your opinions...I just think these type of posts are leaving the door wide open for unnecessary and perhaps untrue criticisms (of the alcoholic, loose, etc...variety). After the incidents on this board recently and in the past (of the Hatchett/Carol C variety) we really need to be sticking together to promote Greek unity.

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"

[This message has been edited by AXO Alum (edited November 24, 2000).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-24-2000, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXO Alum:
I don't consider myself to be the "thought police" and I know you have a right to post your opinions...I just think these type of posts are leaving the door wide open for unnecessary and perhaps untrue criticisms (of the alcoholic, loose, etc...variety).
I agree. While it's interesting in theory to see what different chapters are like nationwide (there are some weaker chapters at my school, and I sure hope that they're doing well elsewhere), I am reluctant to post anything negative about any group at my school. There's really no way you're going to get an accurate reflection of 'good' and 'bad' GLO's here...are there such things? Because it really is subjective.

I urge rushees to KEEP AN OPEN MIND. I remember looking through the pictures in the rush booklet before visiting all the chapters and mentally deciding which were and were not probably the best matches for me. How surprised was I when I felt completely differently after my first day of parties?

You really need to follow your heart, as opposed to what other people have to say. I ended up in a new non-NPC group. And I LOVE my sisters and what my org. stands for, but I'm kind of regretful that I will never be a sister of an NPC group (because in some ways, I like to do traditional things), and I wonder sometimes in retrospect how the cards would have fallen if I approached recruitment differently...
Old 11-24-2000, 05:00 PM

Smile

I wholeheartedly agree with both the above.

If people were asking things like "which group does the most philanthropy?" or "I'm an athlete, which group at PCU has the most athletes" I could see that as valid. But just asking "what are they like" or "who is the most popular"...well, it just leaves the field open for a lot of abuse.

I have responded to a few of these posts, but only when I had something unique and/or positive to say.

It doesn't matter what org you pledge...when you meet sisters or brothers from across the country, you'll meet some that will make you proud, and some that will make you embarrassed. No org can fit your idea of perfect all across the country, in every member.