GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 754
3 members and 751 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD

Old 06-27-2012, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Transferring to a school without my sorority

I have a problem, I am transferring to a new school currently and it does not have my sorority or any Panhellenic sororities at all. Since I am no longer going to be a sister, will I be considered an alum? Do I need to just let my chapter know about me transferring or do I need to tell my region's advisor or even nationals? I'm just not sure how to go about this and do not know what will happen to my membership. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a question for your exec board and/or advisors.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laur333 View Post
I have a problem, I am transferring to a new school currently and it does not have my sorority or any Panhellenic sororities at all. Since I am no longer going to be a sister, will I be considered an alum? Do I need to just let my chapter know about me transferring or do I need to tell my region's advisor or even nationals? I'm just not sure how to go about this and do not know what will happen to my membership. Thanks!
You will need to let your president know. She should be able to put the paperwork in to make you an alumna. Also, do you really want fall term to come around and people to be "Where is Laur333?" This could be especially important if your school have recruitment in the fall.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 06-27-2012, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Without knowing which sorority you are in, we have no way of knowing the answer. Why wouldn't you tell your own chapter that you are transferring?

All we can tell you is talk to your own sorority to find out what their specific policy is. We would just be quessing.

BTW, an alumna IS still a sister.... just not an active, collegiate.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Oh no, why use the plethora of resources when you have Greekchat?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, I would let my chapter know but I just wasn't sure who to contact to start the process of becoming an alumna. I am in Tri Sigma if anyone knows their specific guidelines. By "Do I need to let my chapter know" I meant is that the highest level that needs to be informed by me or is there a form I need to fill out and send to nationals.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks, I would let my chapter know but I just wasn't sure who to contact to start the process of becoming an alumna. I am in Tri Sigma if anyone knows their specific guidelines. By "Do I need to let my chapter know" I meant is that the highest level that needs to be informed by me or is there a form I need to fill out and send to nationals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post

Old 06-28-2012, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Sister-to sister. Face-to-face. It's the reason you joined a sorority.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:01 PM

As others have said - talk to your chapter president or another exec board member. Your chapter's leaders will know what needs to be done to change your status from active to alumna. (I assume Tri Sigma has a ceremony to mark the transition to alumna - you may even be able to participate in the ceremony alongside your chapter's graduating seniors.)

You won't be an active sister any more, but you will be a sister for the rest of your life.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
HI! You will need to notify your chapter president and chapter advisor (if your chapter has one). If you don't anticipate returning to a school with a Sigma chapter, you will be considered an alumna. In some cases, a woman who transfers back to a school with a Sigma chapter, she can re-affiliate as an active collegiate member. Typically this happens when someone leaves for one or two semesters. The chapter is required to submit paperwork for any member who is transferring to a school without a Sigma chapter.
If you will not be returning and are an alumna, you can check with a local alumnae chapter or even your chapter advisory board to go through the alumnae ceremony. You must be current financially with the chapter and left in good standing. Hope this helps!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Oh no, why use the plethora of resources when you have Greekchat?
If I haven't said it lately, DrPhil, you rock!!
Old 07-16-2012, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Bump
Old 11-08-2014, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Tranferring without my sorority

Hi, I am a recent active of Phi Sigma Sigma, a NPC sorority. I am planning on transferring schools because this one just isn't for me... but I decided to get initiated because I wanted to be bonded with my sisters. The new school I am planning on going to has some other NPC sororities but would it be really hard if I tried to start a chapter at my new school? I know it takes a long time but I would love to found a new chapter! Also, if I am going to a community college in between can I be alumni and then re-active? or how does that work? Help me!!!
Old 11-08-2014, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Read this: https://www.npcwomen.org/resources/p...0Extension.pdf

The chances of you being able to start a new chapter of PSS at your school are very slim.

As for being able to reactivate once you're an alumna, that policy varies by organization. Some sororities allow for petitions to reactivate that may be approved under unusual circumstances. I would contact your headquarters and find out how your organization handles things.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs6954 View Post
Hi, I am a recent active of Phi Sigma Sigma, a NPC sorority. I am planning on transferring schools because this one just isn't for me... but I decided to get initiated because I wanted to be bonded with my sisters. The new school I am planning on going to has some other NPC sororities but would it be really hard if I tried to start a chapter at my new school? I know it takes a long time but I would love to found a new chapter! Also, if I am going to a community college in between can I be alumni and then re-active? or how does that work? Help me!!!
Starting a new chapter doesn't really work that way. There are so many steps and variables etc... Your best bet since you're a member of Phi Sig would be to reach out to your advisor or nationals.