GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,431
0 members and 1,431 guests
No Members online

Old 01-07-2003, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Formals, formals everywhere!!

Has anyone else started looking out for dresses / accessories for formal this year? I've already tried on several dresses and got the ordering info the dresses I liked in case the store sold out when I made my final decision.

I don't know what it is, but I think I just love dressing up like Cinderella once a year !!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-07-2003, 02:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shark In Skirt Send a message via Yahoo to Shark In Skirt
My sorority's formal is the day after Valentine's day! I'm still not sure if I can go because I have *FIVE* classes the next day (and every Thursday... lovely, isn't it?)... but hey, if I find the perfect dress, I'll definitely be there.

XOXO,
Annie.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh wow, I am glad I am not the only one. Our formal isn't until late march or april, and I have been searching for dresses for a month already!!! The bad thing about it is I have so many favorites now, but I think I am going to want to have mine made, so its a good thing I'm starting early!
Old 01-07-2003, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

That sounds awesome justhey! What do you want your dress to look like?

I actually started looking for dresses in late-December before I left home for the break... and our formal isn't until the second week in April!!!

I also might be going to my boyfriend's fraternity's formal, but we're not sure if we will be able to make the trip.

I really think this year I am going to try a strapless dress... I have never worn strapless for fear it might fall down or something but I think it would be fun to try a new style.

I have this really weird tradition of getting my jewelry first and then finding the perfect dress. (Yes I know this is weird.. but I have been doing it since my sophomore year in high school for prom )

I have already purchased my jewelry set and am awaiting for it's arrival... I would like to post a pic, but I don't know how
Old 01-07-2003, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
Our formal will probably be in April sometime, but my mother is going to make my dress...I found a pattern that I liked and since she's made dresses before (3 prom dresses and 4 flower girl dresses) and used to be a seemstress, I figured I might as well...it's cheaper! Last year I wore a dress that I got for $15 because I bought it out of season...sometimes it pays to think ahead!
Old 01-07-2003, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey txprincess, I am considering going strapless too!! I am not *too* worried about it falling down because if I did go strapless it would be that kind that is pretty tight with boning on the inside of the top so its pretty rigid. I am either considering something like that with a pretty rigid strapless top and a simple, straight bottom (skirt and top) ooooorrrrrrrrr.........if I feel like getting bold, I would really rather like to go for something a little more unique with a classy-woman-40's (or some decade, i dont know) feel to it like one of these:

something like the middle one without those drape-y things on the shoulders

the bottom left one (5876) click on the pic to see it better

I haven't necessarily decided on one of these two, but I would LOVE to find something that has the feel that those dresses do.

That is so funny that you pick out jewelry first, because I always find the dress and then CANNOT for the life of me find shoes or jewelry that i like wth the dress I picked. What does it look like??
Old 01-07-2003, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

ok, i just relized that second link didnt work rght, but click on it, go to evening/bridal, and its #5876.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I"M SOO EXCITED ABOUT FORMAL!! I'm Social Chair, So i'm really excited about it!! Well, anyway, I have started looking at Dresses with sisters about two months ago! I found one i loved! It was a light blue strapless princess dress. But it is Really expensive so i dont' know if i am gonna get it or not, i think i am gonna look at more. One of my sisters wants to borrow my dress from last year if i do not wear it.
Txprincess -- Go Strapless !! Strapless looks good on everyone i knoe!!! And don't worry abotu falling out, i wear strapless dresses all the night(formal and nonformal) you will be FINE!

Binks
Old 01-07-2003, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Shark In Skirt : I hope you get to go to your formal! Even if it's only for a little while!!!

nyrdrms, that is so awesome! my mother made my dress for senior prom and it was gorgeous! do you know what type of dress you might want to wear ?

justhey, those dresses you left links to are BEAUTIFUL!!!

binks, thanks for the advice on strapless.. all you ladies really make me want to wear strapless now!!!!

And about my weird tradition about the jewelry first, I just purchased this set online, and can't wait for it to arrive!!!

Here is the link to see the pic:

My mother always used to think I was nuts because I still get the jewelry first Also, if you're looking for cute jewelry, don't ever forget to check ebay.. lots of bridal/formal wear shops sell NEW jewelry sets at really good prices

Last edited by texas*princess; 09-10-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

txprincess, that jewelry is gorgeous!! I'll definitely be sure to look on ebay for formal jewelry from now on.

My first formal with my chapter is on Saturday - and I don't have a dress yet! Eeek!!
Old 01-07-2003, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

WPISWEETIE --- Dresses are easy to find!! Is it a semi-formal or Formal?? YOu cna always ask a sister who is your size if they have any older dresses to borrow. My last semi-formal I had two sisters sporting my dresses from last year!! Anyway, they that dones' work then if you have discount bridal store. They are ALways good! I go to David's Bridal. Tiffanys bridal is good too, but some of the dresses are a little too much. Dept. store are good too. and they are normally having sells on dresses at this time. GOOD LUCK!!

txprincess -- I LOVE THE JEWELERY!!! if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost? Last Year i wore my pearls to the formal, I looked very classy! This year i want to be over the top!!i want the Glam look. I know i sound silly! I'm gonna have to go on e-bay and lok for a necklace.

i think i have figured out who i am gonna ask to my formal too, even though it is in april it is one thing that i have to start thinking about NOW!! I don't have a boyfriend. the guy is actually my old boyfriend's best friend. the guy helped me with the break up. My ex was an A$$ and he helped me realize that i didn't need him. My question is how do you ask someone, i have never had to since i was always dating someone when i have date functions and formals!!!
Old 01-07-2003, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

binks is right -- borrowing dresses is a great way to find one quick! i let one of my sisters borrow one of my formal dresses for homecoming last year! i hope you have a great time at your formal have have pics to share!!

i'm glad you girls like the jewelry! Believe it or not, I paid $15.50 for this set!!! Sure, I have to pay $8 in shipping because it's coming from another country, but I still think it's a steal considering most formal shops charge $35-$40 for nice looking sets. Pearls are also beautiful for formal! Very glam!

as for asking a boy to formal, i did this for my junior prom and i've been dating the same guy ever since

Basically I just started talking about how excited I was about upcoming prom [in your case, sorority formal!] and i found out he never went to his high school prom. "You've never been to one? It's sooooooo much fun!! You should go with me!!!" hehehe.. i guess i was a little straight-forward.. but hey, it worked didn't it?

Last edited by texas*princess; 01-07-2003 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

binks, that is so cool, i am really excited about formal because i am social chair too!!! I also want to go for that glam look. hehe, its so funny, i actually havent even thought about my date yet, even though i have looked into every aspect of what i want to wear. i figure, who knows who ill be interested in by then, gosh, its 3 months away!!!!

txprincess, that jewelry set is absolutely gorgeous, i cannot believe you found it on ebay!!!

wpisweetie, good luck finding the dress, im sure you will find one in time, places like express and cache always have pretty dresses for reletively cheap that you usually dont need to have fitted or anything so you can get it right away.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to japhir Send a message via Yahoo to japhir
Wink

That is one of the biggest things I miss about college...formals. I have a closet full of dresses that I never get to wear. They are always taunting me when I walk in there. <sigh> I'm jealous and excited for you guys.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
texas*princess... here's the link to the dress http://www.simplicity.com/s2b.htm go to Evening, Bridal & Prom then to Evening Dress it's on the second page, top right...#7637, shown in light green...but I think I'm going to have my mom make it in a dark red, haven't decided on that part yet. The jewelry is gorgeous, you now have me thinking about checking ebay for jewelry as well...

Thank you jesthey, I had no idea that Simplicity had a website!

And about borrowing dresses...we do it all the time here, I think I have about 20 dresses in my closet, and my jumior prom dress has been worn 7 times total as well as by 3 people other than me.