GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5

Old 11-16-1999, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Hazing IS a risk to your chapter

I am an advisor to a sorority in my area and I am really concerned that so many think that their activities are harmless and that the anti-hazing push is too extreme. I don't know whether many of you realize, but the numbers of college students who go through rush each year is steadily decreasing. Also many college administrators are taking a hard look at greek organizations and their benefit to the campus. Getting tough on hazing is just one way our national organizations are trying to promote a positive image of greeks. By doing silly pranks, even if they don't seem harmful, we are only destroying our reputation as a whole and moving towards our ultimate demise. I also disagree with the correlation between greeks hazing and a regiment that is required to become a successful soccer athlete. In my mind the difference is in the purpose of the two organizations. The purpose of most greek organizations is to intensify friendship among members and to perform such deeds and mold such opinions as will conduce to the the building of a purer and nobler womanhood/brotherhood/sisterhood/man/etc. in the world. The purpose of a soccer organization is to also promote friendship but I would say more importantly to build a better athlete. Making rules about what to eat, when to eat, how and when to excercise serves the purpose of the soccer team, but doesn't serve the purpose of the greek organization. Not only that, but a new member of a soccer team expects to make those sorts of sacrifices in order to be successful. Likewise, a new member of a greek organization should be given clear expectations of how to earn their membership. Chapters that haze more than likely do not promote the activity during membership recruitment, and so thereby are NOT setting up the expectations of the new member like the soccer team probably does. In reference to the scavenger hunt where pictures must be taken from around the county. What purpose does that activity serve? If it is truly an educational experience that has some merit and you would be willing to explain the details and purpose of the event to a school official and the parents of those involved, then I would say it is not hazing. But consider who would be held responsible if one of the participants were kidnapped, injured, or worse during this activity which I suspect requires the participants to visit areas of a county of which they have little or no familiarity. The example of the maze of strings to find your big sis/brother, in my opinion does not sound like hazing. Again, I would say look at the purpose of the activity and decide whether you would be willing to explain the activity to school officials and parents. If not, then its best to question the necessity of the activity.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-28-1999, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I am sure that most of you did not know this: In 25 years there will no longer be 26 NPC sororities. Some of them will close... will your national be one of those?

Sororities will be closed down by hazing. I have no doubt that it will take one huge lawsuit to do the whole lot in. Be careful! Think about the image you are portraying. Some of the National Sororities have been around for over a hundred years... I'd like to see them all around for a hundred more@!
Old 01-18-2000, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear katherinewms:

I hear you soror and I respect your opinion, because hazing is very detrimental to a chapters life. I also believe that it is not what you do it is how you do it, if the pledge process was supervised as in the past by individuals that knew what they were doing, then I guarantee you that the # of hazing incidents would decrease. Also soror, I have a question... H do you expect sorors to function within Alpha Kappa Alpha with out knowing the proper rituals and information only available through a pledge process? And how do you expect new initiates to learn this info without a pledge process? Why does nationals bring new members into the org without a process, without warning them about what the consequences will be for those individuals who did not experience the "real" process?
Isn't that the same as withholding information? Most people would opt to not join the sorority if they knew the amount of abuse that they would receive from their own sorors. Nationals sends these girls out, such as myself without a clue and then they wonder why people opt to participate in an underground line!!! I blame nationals for making pledging illegal, I blame the sorors who do not know how to conduct a pledge process for hurting so many initiates, for my horrible experience socially within AKA! I love the service and doing the work of the sorority, but when you can't relate to your own sorors what is the point.
Old 01-19-2000, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Ms. AKA wrote:

I have a question... How do you expect sorors to function within Alpha Kappa Alpha with out knowing the proper rituals and information only available through a pledge process?

I can't speak for the NPHC groups, but in the NPC (National Panhellenic Conference), new members participate in a 6-10 week long education process that includes history, goals, meaning of symbols & ritual, organization of the chapter officers, etc. These things are taught in a classroom type atmosphere and include learning tools as appropriate. At first the only ritual the new members participate in is a Pledging Ritual, where they offer their commitment and bond to the sorority. The next and most important ritual is Initiation. At this time the secrets of the sorority are revealed and a deeper commitment is forged.

And how do you expect new initiates to learn this info without a pledge process?

See above...

Why does nationals bring new members into the org without a process, without warning them about what the consequences will be for those individuals who did not experience the "real" process?

In the NPC, all member fraternities participate in a structured, mutual selection process designed to benefit both the new member and the chapter.

As far as "real" process I believe you are referring to the actions now prohibited by the NPHC. Why do you think you can't be a real member unless you are hazed? Why can't you make a commitment based on your heart, not how long you went without sleep, how long you wore the same clothes or how long you managed NOT to talk to anyone except your sorors? If the women in your chapter treat you poorly because you didn't get hazed, the problem is with them, not you. These women need to mature and get passed their anger and realize that what was done to them was wrong and they should fight to make sure that noone experiences the same things as they did.

The NPC member groups have a long history of membership success and commitment without employing these types of activities. We believe that by treating our new members well, by showing them the true meaning of sisterhood and fraternal love, by educating them appropriately and by setting an example, the new members will be as committed to the sorority as the initiated members.

NPC groups program sisterhood programs for the new members and the rest of the chapter. New members are given Big Sisters, who act as a mentor, guiding the new member during her initial weeks of sorority life and being there to encourage her and make her comfortable with the chapter.

I would be interested in discussing the differences in NPC Recruitment vs. NPHC intake processes.

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.