GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,438
1 members and 1,437 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 01-27-2015, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

blah

blah

Last edited by heyygirl; 02-12-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-27-2015, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

We can't tell you the likelihood of getting a bid from any chapter, including your legacy chapter. But know this: legacy status in no way guarantees you a bid. You've been at the school for awhile now and should have at least an inkling as to whether you'd be a good fit or not. Me personally, I'd go through informal rush and see if there's anyone you click with. If it feels good, go for it. If you go through, enjoy yourself but the feeling that you really should wait for formal persists, then do that. But DON'T hold out in hopes of a match to one particular chapter (your legacy chapter in this case). That is a recipe for disaster and will almost assuredly end up in heartache or lots of time spent wishing you'd have done X instead of Y, whether that means accepting a bid from your legacy chapter, going another way, pledging now or pledging later. Whatever you do, make your decision, be confident in it and don't look back.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't tell you how likely you would be to receive a bid from your legacy chapter, but I do understand what you are going through. My younger sister was in your position a few years ago. She really wanted to join a sorority, and transferred at semester to a university that she could join one at. She was very torn during the spring semester because she wanted to join ANY chapter so badly, out of the 8 chapters that were at her university, 4 of them were doing informal and all 4 had invited her to informal recruitment events. And none of those 4 were my chapter, I told her over and over again, that she needed to join a sorority for herself, not for me. She went through with informal recruitment events and she came up with the logic that if she found a group of women that she thought she could enjoy being around and build friendships with, she should go for it. She did, and LOVES being a member of Gamma Phi Beta. =) She wouldn't trade it for the world, nor would I! We both get excited for each others organization because we respect each other so much!

I would have to ask you why you would hold out for an unknown if there is a group of ladies that you enjoy spending time with and could see yourself being a part of. Being a legacy is awesome and I wouldn't take that away from anyone (I was a legacy to 3 different organizations when I went through recruitment) but if there is a chapter that you enjoy I would go for it! Taking a shot at informal won't hurt, I say go for it!! Best of luck!!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to add a word of caution to be 100% SURE that you are a legacy before you get your heart set on that chapter. Many, many times we have heard about young women who thought they were legacies, only to find out that they were not. Really... nowadays, being a legacy may not give you that much of a leg up. It all depends on many things.