GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,434
2 members and 1,432 guests
No Members online

Old 03-11-2007, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Diamond Darlin’
Overseas Studies

I just today got my parents to say that overseas studies may be on option. In the next year I hope to keep my grades up to the standards that my parents set for me to do this. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for the application process.
Interviews
recomendations
applications,
anythings, it is my dream to spend more time overseas then i already have. I love the historical sights in europs, but am afraid that I will not make the cut = O
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-11-2007, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

First off, congrats that your parents said yes. That's usually a major step in getting it done. I have a couple of questions though.

1) Are you studying through your school or through an independent program?

2) Have you considered how your school's financial aid might be helpful/detrimental? I know people always want to go regardless of cost but this goes with the first question. Via your school as opposed to an ind. program might be less money meaning more money for European trips!

As for apps, recommendation, and interviews. Like with anything, go to teachers who you know will not only give a good recommendation but that have taught you something in the general realm of studying abroad, foreign politics, international studies, etc. This makes for a good app. so that the program directors see you can make it overseas.

Also, depending on where you are going, look up some info on the culture, country, language, etc. Not many people go to Belgium (where I am) so I had to investigate some things that maybe you won't have to if you go to France for example.

Other than that, PM me if you want any other advice. I'm in Europe as we speak but I'll gladly answer any questions! Good luck!!

:-)
Go Chi O!
Old 03-11-2007, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Wow, timeliness!

Last year I spent two quarters living in Northern Ireland. It was singlehandedly the greatest thing I could have done. I miss it so much now that I'm home. So what was my solution? To get accepted to graduate school in Scotland. So I'm moving back to the UK in September to do my masters degree.

My program in Belfast was through my university, so all of my financial aid transfered, which meant that I only had to pay for my housing/travel/living expenses when I was abroad and pay my tuition to Otterbein. Worked out really well. The way it works at my school is that if you go through an Otterbein program, all your financial aid comes with you. If you design your own program, only $3,000 of it goes with you. Your school may have some sort of similar arrangement (you didn't mention where you went?).

Your parents are right, grades are extremely important to studying abroad. It doesn't mean that you have to have a 4.0, but they want to see some commitment to study. Remember that you're representing your university, so they want to send someone who will be a good representation of the school. This also means attendance!

The program I went on had a strange selection process. OC had to pick 2 applicants out of the pool, rank them 1 and 2, and then send the applications to a national board who would then check your qualifications, references and grades and then assign you a university. So references are extremely, extremely important. You should talk to your adviser right now about your desire to go abroad and see if they'll support you or if they know of someone who has advised study abroad students.

When I was applying, one of the things the director of foreign programs told me was the most important was OPENNESS TO NEW CULTURES, and CULTURAL SENSITIVITY. Not sure how you can demonstrate this on a resume or an application, but in your interview, be prepared to answer questions about how you'll handle culture shock and strange customs/food/etc.

There's so much more information..geez! if you've got any questions, please feel free to PM me and I'll answer the best I can.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Diamond Darlin’
Yes, it is through Indiana University, and I am looking at taking out student loans, It is only about 9,000 a semester for tuition and room/brd. I felt like that was an extreamily reasonible price. I am looking at bologna Italy, but would also consider spain. I would love to go ot Ireland, but this is way too expensive Thanks for your advice, and I will probally be PMing you soon!