GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,459
2 members and 1,457 guests
atylerlttleoz15, Xidelt

Old 11-28-2007, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Former pledge being bullied by fraternity for money

I pledged a fraternity for an entire semester, and became a neophyte. The chapter balled me, (for not paying any dues and other reasons... I was about to drop as a neophyte anyway, I didn't have the money).

Now the fraternity is telling me I still owe them $600 of the pledge semesters' $755 (the extra $155 is the initiation fee which I obviously won't be there for).

They have told me that if I don't pay before December 10th, they are sending my debt to a collection agency. I believe that this chapter uses the Omega system by the way... if that makes any difference.

Do they have a right to do this? CAN they do this? I refuse to pay for something that I am not a part of, but I am seriously worried about having my credit ruined by some sleezeball collection agency. What information does this chapter need about me to send my debt to a collection agency? What can I do?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-28-2007, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by housed98 View Post
I pledged a fraternity for an entire semester,
You participated, you pay up. I'm sure you signed something pertaining to that. What, you didn't read it? Guess what, that's not the fraternities' fault.

If they do send it to a collection agency, which they are probably within their rights to do, your only recourse against your credit history is to contact the credit bureaus to dispute the debt.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:40 AM

In short, yes the fraternity has the right to send you to collections. When you joined, you probably signed a document (either through Omega Financial or the fraternity itself) that said something to the effect of "If I quit/or am dropped I am still responsible for paying any outstanding debt to the fraternity." If you for some reason don't recall signing something like that or you don't think you were ever asked to do so, you can ask the fraternity's treasurer to provide you with a copy.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-28-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
My chapter uses Omega Financial and if you signed something then you’re going to have a tough time getting out of it. However, keep in mind that when the chapter sends someone to collections they only get a percentage of the money owed and the rest goes to the collection agency. With that in mind I’d talk the treasurer and discuss paying less then what is owed. Treat it like a negotiation. If you’re refusing to pay anything well it’s no surprise their looking to stick it to you. Meet them in the middle. It’s not worth screwing up your credit.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you Kevlar, that was helpful
Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Ask to see paperwork that you signed

Sigma Kappa
1<31->
The BEST girls wear PEARLS
Old 11-28-2007, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to icicle22
Quote:
I pledged a fraternity for an entire semester, and became a neophyte. The chapter balled me, (for not paying any dues and other reasons... I was about to drop as a neophyte anyway, I didn't have the money).

Now the fraternity is telling me I still owe them $600 of the pledge semesters' $755 (the extra $155 is the initiation fee which I obviously won't be there for).

They have told me that if I don't pay before December 10th, they are sending my debt to a collection agency. I believe that this chapter uses the Omega system by the way... if that makes any difference.

Do they have a right to do this? CAN they do this? I refuse to pay for something that I am not a part of, but I am seriously worried about having my credit ruined by some sleezeball collection agency. What information does this chapter need about me to send my debt to a collection agency? What can I do?
Then why did you choose to pledge when you didn't have any money to contribute towards dues?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22 View Post
Then why did you choose to pledge when you didn't have any money to contribute towards dues?
I want to know why he thinks he is being "bullied". We have two threads going on the same topic and the bottom line is that he owes the fraternity the money.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to icicle22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I want to know why he thinks he is being "bullied". We have two threads going on the same topic and the bottom line is that he owes the fraternity the money.
I would say that he feels that way because he doesn't want to pay up.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22 View Post
I would say that he feels that way because he doesn't want to pay up.
Wait until the collection agent starts calling. You haven't seen bullying yet.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

You should have already paid your dues up to that point. You were responsible for the $600 in services rendered. Sucks that you got balled but maybe it had something to do with you not paying your dues.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

You're not being bullied. You're being a turd.
Pay the money, quit whining, and grow up.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
You're not being bullied. You're being a turd.
Pay the money, quit whining, and grow up.
Amen
Old 12-03-2007, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
Sucks that you got balled but maybe it had something to do with you not paying your dues.
He said it did:

Quote:
Welcome to adulthood, house98.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

You owe the fraternity money because you participated in their events for a semester even though you were not initiated. The recruitment chair, social chair, alumni chair, brotherhood chair, etc. all have budgets for their events. The money for those events comes from dues! Their budgets are based on how much money they will get from dues, which is dependent on the number of members in the chapter, so it doesn't really matter if you go to those events or not. Not to mention, the chapter has to pay a per capita insurance. Plus, if the chapter you pledged owns/rents a house, they require money to pay the salaries of any staff that work there (cooks, cleaners, landscapers if applicable), as well as food, upkeep, furnishings, insurance, and property taxes.

Definitely talk to the VP Finance/Treasurer of the chapter and he will be able to give you a break down on all the financials of the chapter (i.e. where the money goes). He can probably show you something you signed to the effect of agreeing to pay your debts upon termination of membership.

The chapter would probably rather not send you to collections since they will only see a portion of the $600 you owe. They'd probably rather settle the debt and cut their losses. See if you can pay less than what you owe, but more than what the chapter would get if they took you to collections. It's win-win, because you'll pay less money and they'll receive more money than if they took you to collections.