GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,122
0 members and 2,122 guests
No Members online

Old 07-22-2014, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=ree-Xi;2281155]This is so important! So often, people think about what sorority or fraternity can do for them, versus what they can offer. Every organization needs people with different talents. Here are a few ideas:

- Committee Members - people to carry out plans in the background, good organizers, outgoing people to be the "faces" at public events
- Summer camp counselors, education majors - this kind of training and experience is great for someone who wants to lead new member education
- Prelaw or business student, someone with experience running meetings - every group has some sort of method for running meetings, such as Robert's Rules of order.
- Good with money - treasurer
- Writers - stuff to send to your Inter/national magazine, school newspaper announcements, nomination forms, scripts for skits/serenades
- Artists - create banners, posters, advertisements
- Singer - teach and lead songs for rush/recruitment, write new chapter songs and chants, serenades
- Dancer - put together skits for recruitment, Greek Week events, etc.
- Photographer - for official events, scrapbook/archives
- Cook/Baker - if you don't have a chef or even a kitchen, there are probably a ton of opportunities to make food - fundraisers, sisterhood dinners, recruitment/homecoming/alumni(ae) weekend refreshments
- Athletes - Greek week, intramural sports
- Crafty people to make decorations, favors for events, fundraisers, philanthropy events
- Good at public speaking - emcee/host events like formal, award ceremonies, etc.

Thanks Ree-Xi! This makes a lot of sense! I am planning on getting involved on campus and getting to know as many sorority women as I can.

I also have been working on getting recs. I have 3 for sure - one I am really excited about because it's from someone who works at a national sorority. She said her rec will definitely be noticed by the chapter and should help me a lot. She said a lot of girls don't realize just how important recs are at IU and don't get them and don't get in not because of who they are and what they can offer, but because they don't have the rec to make them stand out. She said it's not uncommon for her sorority to have half their open spaces already spoken for before rush by legacies and important recs and last year her sorority had less than 50 openings, but this year will have in the low 50s. I'm excited, but scared. I wish recruitment was now instead of in January!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-22-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally T View Post
I also have been working on getting recs. I have 3 for sure - one I am really excited about because it's from someone who works at a national sorority. She said her rec will definitely be noticed by the chapter and should help me a lot. She said a lot of girls don't realize just how important recs are at IU and don't get them and don't get in not because of who they are and what they can offer, but because they don't have the rec to make them stand out. She said it's not uncommon for her sorority to have half their open spaces already spoken for before rush by legacies and important recs and last year her sorority had less than 50 openings, but this year will have in the low 50s. I'm excited, but scared. I wish recruitment was now instead of in January!
No one who "works at a national sorority" (I assume you mean at the sorority's headquarters) would EVER say anything like the bolded to a PNM. But if she really did....I would stay far away from that sorority.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
No one who "works at a national sorority" (I assume you mean at the sorority's headquarters) would EVER say anything like the bolded to a PNM. But if she really did....I would stay far away from that sorority.
And to the OP, please DO NOT name that sorority on these pages!

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.