GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,295
0 members and 2,295 guests
No Members online

Old 09-08-2008, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
I brought my daughter to a wedding that was adult's only. I pulled the groom to the side, and explained the situation (babysitter cancelled at last minute). Since we were long time friends (back to when he was 3 and I was 4), it was ok. If it turned out to not be ok, I would have passed my congrats to the couple, and left the reception. But then again, my child is pretty well behaved. Other than that one time, I respect the couple's request and don't bring her.

But it's your day, if you don't want kids there, then say, no children. Period.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post

ZTA- I hope everything goes well for you. Just remember, this is YOUR day. Don't worry about anyone else!
Except maybe your fiance...

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

ZTABullwinkle-Have fun, enjoy it and don't sweat the small stuff.

As for children at weddings or any uninvited guests, why do people do that? We're having assigned tables, so they won't have a seat or a meal.

And ZTA I feel ya on the Fiance family ish. His are paying for the RD, but only b/c they feel they have to, not b/c they want to. Whatever, I'm going to do my best to be blissfully unaware of anything that goes wrong that weekend.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi Sailorgirl View Post
ZTABullwinkle-Have fun, enjoy it and don't sweat the small stuff.

As for children at weddings or any uninvited guests, why do people do that? We're having assigned tables, so they won't have a seat or a meal.

And ZTA I feel ya on the Fiance family ish. His are paying for the RD, but only b/c they feel they have to, not b/c they want to. Whatever, I'm going to do my best to be blissfully unaware of anything that goes wrong that weekend.

At this point, I can't change his family. I just sent messages to most of his family inquiring about their attendance at the rehearsal dinner. We will see if they actually show or call. I am not holding out much hope.

I was also afraid of uninvited guests just showing up (Fiance said that is "typical" of his family. I explained as diplomatically as possible that if they show up there are no seats or meals for them, and no I will not be paying for 20 extra meals just in case they show up. His mom agreed with me, and tracked them down for me.

Good news, there is a less chance of rain on Saturday.
Bad news, my leg is still hurting, and I have to pay out of pocket for the orthopedist visit tomorrow.

APhi Sailorgirl: aren't you getting married very soon also? How goes your plans?

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 09-09-2008, 12:18 AM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi Sailorgirl View Post
seeing as how i just went thru this at my friends wedding, listen to Sailorgirl!!

assigned seats suck to me personally, but if you are CRYSTAL clear about no children, then that may be the way to go. i also saw a wedding planner get stuck with the job of telling people they didnt have a seat unless they paid i think $50 for a plate at the reception because they did not rsvp. my mans family is notorious for thinking rsvp stands for "show up with all your kids, your neighbors kids, your boyfriends kids if its his weekend for custody, and make it a surprise"... thats why they dont get invited anywhere anymore...
Old 09-09-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSBX View Post

I also saw a wedding planner get stuck with the job of telling people they didnt have a seat unless they paid i think $50 for a plate at the reception because they did not rsvp. my mans family is notorious for thinking rsvp stands for "show up with all your kids, your neighbors kids, your boyfriends kids if its his weekend for custody, and make it a surprise"... thats why they dont get invited anywhere anymore...

It amazes me that there are people out there who still think it is okay to show up without RSVP-ing, or show up invited with EXTRA people. That is so incredibly rude.

I've had the unfortunate task of telling people that they/the extra people they brought weren't going to have meals because they didn't RSVP. The bride said that they didn't have to leave, but most of them (of course) got pissed and left anyway because they were mad that the bride didn't immediately break out food and extra seats. Apparently they missed the memo that extra food and seats don't grow on trees.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-09-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTABullwinkle View Post
APhi Sailorgirl: aren't you getting married very soon also? How goes your plans?
Here's to hoping for great weather on Saturday!

We're at 46 days today and I feel pretty good. There was a hiccup in the shower that my future mother in law insisted on having, but oh well, I'll be at the appointed place on time.

Just mostly waiting on RSVP's. We've got a couple more weeks, but I just want to know already!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I had somewhat assigned seating in that I had namecards set out on tables for immediate family members (mom, sisters, in-laws) but one ballsy aunt who is a pain in the ass sat at my mom's chair b/c according to her, she is like the 2nd mother-of-the bride. I was appalled b/c that chair & place setting was made specifically for my mom (I also had one done for Mike's mom). I couldn't believe she did this but this was the aunt that brought uninvited guests to the wedding too and pitched a fit b/c my uncle didn't walk me down the aisle.

My sister got her to move by showing her around the yacht while my mom moved seats. LOL! My aunt was mad but just sat next to my mom instead.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
I had somewhat assigned seating in that I had namecards set out on tables for immediate family members (mom, sisters, in-laws) but one ballsy aunt who is a pain in the ass sat at my mom's chair b/c according to her, she is like the 2nd mother-of-the bride. I was appalled b/c that chair & place setting was made specifically for my mom (I also had one done for Mike's mom). I couldn't believe she did this but this was the aunt that brought uninvited guests to the wedding too and pitched a fit b/c my uncle didn't walk me down the aisle.

My sister got her to move by showing her around the yacht while my mom moved seats. LOL! My aunt was mad but just sat next to my mom instead.
That was pretty ballsy of your aunt.

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 09-09-2008, 03:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post

Hey B, you know that some family member always has to act a fool at a wedding
Old 09-09-2008, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1228 View Post
Hey B, you know that some family member always has to act a fool at a wedding

Too true. I've seen it done many times.

Before she passed away, grandma (I love her) flat out said during the ceremony of my cousins wedding in a VERY loud voice that the groom was just "ugly with teeth like a jackass".
I thought my relatives were going to die of mortification (I, on the other hand, couldn't stop the laugh) but she didn't care. She always said that when you reached her age, you stopped caring about being nice and just told the truth.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

39 days and counting....
Old 09-10-2008, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

So my future MIL invited all of these ladies who were NOT invited to the wedding to the shower, then calls and asks us why they haven't got their (meaning the ladies invited to the shower) wedding invite yet. I never even got to see the guest list for my shower, not the fiance and I have to try to accomodate 6 more people (granted that isn't a lot, but when you have a budget..it is!) that we weren't even thinking about inviting. Stop inviting people to our wedding damn it!!!!!!! Plus, his crazy aunt (oh if I told you the stories of the shit she has tried to pull for this wedding...you all would be agast) is messaging me asking why we haven't invited her sister (the fiance's half aunt) and her husband. Well her husband is a convicted child molester so we really really do not want him at our wedding where there will be small children. Sorry, but that's how I feel. Then it is I need phone numbers, I need this and that (from the aunt)...well freakin' sorry lady. I have a full time job, advising a collegiate chapter, and planning a wedding. I'm sorry I don't respond to you #1 all the time. You don't even really need those things.

/end rant...sorry about that.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeTriDelta View Post
So my future MIL invited all of these ladies who were NOT invited to the wedding to the shower, then calls and asks us why they haven't got their (meaning the ladies invited to the shower) wedding invite yet. I never even got to see the guest list for my shower, not the fiance and I have to try to accomodate 6 more people (granted that isn't a lot, but when you have a budget..it is!) that we weren't even thinking about inviting. Stop inviting people to our wedding damn it!!!!!!! Plus, his crazy aunt (oh if I told you the stories of the shit she has tried to pull for this wedding...you all would be agast) is messaging me asking why we haven't invited her sister (the fiance's half aunt) and her husband. Well her husband is a convicted child molester so we really really do not want him at our wedding where there will be small children. Sorry, but that's how I feel. Then it is I need phone numbers, I need this and that (from the aunt)...well freakin' sorry lady. I have a full time job, advising a collegiate chapter, and planning a wedding. I'm sorry I don't respond to you #1 all the time. You don't even really need those things.

/end rant...sorry about that.
You're a saint.

You're alot nicer than I am, because future MIL would've gotten an email or phone call from me politely stating that we can't accommodate those extra people.

As far as the convicted molester, I'd assume you're going to stand your ground with that. There's no way I'd invite a convicted molester to a wedding with children present.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh absolutely. No way in hell is that man stepping foot in that church or anywhere near the wedding. Both my fiance and future FIL have made that 110% clear to the half aunt.

Now, just for shits and giggles, about the real aunt (fiance's aunt) She and I get along pretty well and I knew she had never been in a wedding. I asked her to be one of my bridesmaids and she accepted. I also asked her to do the hair for the wedding party (including me) in which I would pay for. My wedding is in my hometown about 100 miles away. I am a relaxed person when it comes to this wedding. Bridesmaids were allowed to pick out whatever they wanted to wear as long as it was black. Whatever dress, skirt, pants, top, shoes, etc. I really didn't care. Whenever I see her it is are we wearing hose? Flat or heels? What are the other girls doing? We need to get everyone together to discuss what we are wearing!! I don't give a flying rat's ass!!!! Last time it was asking me to ask a groomsman to shave off his neck hair (no I did not do it).

She is planning snacks for the day which she then informs me she will add to my bill (I'll go through McDonalds thx). She will pick them up out of help for me but I have to pay for them. Next it is the blowout she wants to give me on Thursday (another charge to my account..screw that. I can wash my own hair thx) as well as the other ladies. Right now she is racking up this huge bill. Her flat rate is $50 a girl. Plus for a practice updo it is $40. I have 3 bridesmaids (not including her) and then myself. Then the bomb drops. She also says she will be charging me milage for the trip.

Basically I laid the smackdown and said no way am I paying you milage (you are in the wedding and it is your nephew getting married). I also told her that 2 of the bridesmaids were so apalled that she was charging me to do hair that they said they would do it themselves. Ugh..this lady is killing me. Is it October 19th yet???

/sorry for the probably many grammatical errors in the above statement. I am frustrated right now and grammar is not a top prioroty at the present time.