GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,933
0 members and 1,933 guests
No Members online

Old 07-17-2006, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

A different kind of Resume question...

Ok, we just got an announcement at church yesterday that we are looking for a new Choir/Handbell Director. I majored in music in college (therapy, not education, however) and was in my church handbell choir for about 10 years when I was younger. In other words, I'm probably one of the most qualified candidates in the church (we have a lot of wonderful singers, but not ones who have had the music theory, etc like I have). I put in my resume to one of the men on the committee who is in charge of hiring. I didn't put any "Work Experience", as right now I do accting/payroll, and my past jobs include reception, retail and food service (mostly while I was in school). All of my music experience was either classroom, ensemble, or volunteer. He emailed me back and asked if I'd like to present past work experience for the committee. My only reason for submitting any past work experience would just be to prove, yes, I can have a steady, normal job. Should I include it?? And what do I include, just my full time job...or the part time ones I had in college??
Old 07-17-2006, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I would include the full time job.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto. They want to be sure that you're hireable
I always have a "relevant experience" and "other experience"
Old 07-25-2006, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

*bump*

How did it go? When will you know something?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I ended up including a second page with Employment Experience. I've been told not to go over 1 page, but I think that's sort of outdated. Plus, it was a council that met together to discuss, and I don't know of anyone else that turned in an actual resume, so I doubt they discarded it as they might have if they had a huge stack to go through and it simply didn't catch their eye.

I can seriously see why the current director needs to take a step back, as 1am Monday morning, he was emailing a bunch of us music for a flute choir that he composed, and wants to get together for an ordination service of one of our members.

I haven't heard anything yet, except that the guy I emailed my resume to said my name had already come up in discussion. There was another announcement about the postion in the church bulletin, so I think they are making sure no one else wants to be considered first, before they make any decisions. Choir doesn't start again until Sept, so I expect they'll start making decisions mid-August.

Thanks for asking!!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

1 is good, but if you have relevant experience and information to include 2 is the absolute max...

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to you! I'm sure you are going to get it! Let us know the progress!
Old 07-25-2006, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck Alphafroggy Frog
Old 07-25-2006, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Alphafroggy Frog

I'm gonna start calling you that from now on
Old 07-29-2006, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

The one-page rule really isn't that outdated. Most people under 25 don't have enough relevant employment experience to fill more than one page.

I do keep a resume that's different from my professional one, that includes volunteer organizations, boards I serve on, alumnae Greek life involvement, and other things I've done. I list my current employment and educational background, but that's pretty much it. The way I see it is that architecture firms don't care about the fact that I serve on any boards that aren't related to architecture, and the Junior League doesn't care that I worked as a draftsman five years ago.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03
The one-page rule really isn't that outdated. Most people under 25 don't have enough relevant employment experience to fill more than one page.
I think the one-page rule is not outdated at all, unless you have a CV listing your extensive and impressive education, work experience, and publications.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Received a call last night. I have an interview with the selection committee Monday night!!!

A couple questions for the career savy:

Outfit suggestions?? It's a pretty casual church, so I know a suit is not necessary, but I'm thinking along the lines of a knee length black skirt and blouse.

Major question: I've been at this church for over a year. One of the ladies (the one that called me) sang at my wedding. Another younger girl (they made sure the committee is diverse) babysits my daughter for night/weekend stuff. Another older gentleman's younger daughter babysits when the other girl is not available and I gave voice lessons to his older daughter. Etc, etc, etc. Basically, I know all of these people well. Would ya'll still suggest removing my nose ring for the interview, as it is unprofessional, even though all of them know I have it??
Old 08-23-2006, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Even if the church members wear azure catsuits to Sunday services-- dress conservatively. I think the outfit you suggested is great.

Oh, but no socks with your open-toed shoes, 'kay?

As far as your nose ring goes, I understand that a lot of people have them and some are discreet looking, but I even find the small little diamond studs distracting. I find myself staring at the person's nose wondering if that's a nose ring, is that a piece of glitter, or am I just imagining that I'm seeing something shiny that could be a nose ring, a piece of glitter or the glare. I'd take it out for those few hours. There may be committee members you don't know, or a last-minute change. Later on, if you get the job, you can find out their dress code policy. At this point, if the job is worth it to you, I wouldn't make any "statements" with your wardrobe other than one that subtley says you are able to fit in with this group. That fact that you're thinking about it shows you are conscious of how you may be perceived by others.

I think removing it is a good idea, also as they may have some concerns about you like, "Well, what if we travel to this function or invite X community member to do this with us? Will her nose ring be found offensive to the congregation if she becomes a working member of this group?" They'll know that you do wear a nose ring, but you know that protocol may call for some occasions without it. And that's extra points for you.

ETA: Good luck!!!!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

If it's a tiny little stud, I say it's not a big deal. However, if it's one of those hoops that looks like something you could rope a bull with, I say take it out and never put it back in.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I had my interview last night. I wore a mint-green pantsuit, white heels, pearls, and no nosestud. I got compliments on my outfit from two of the women on the committee.

They asked A LOT of questions. More then any job interview I've ever been on. I felt like I did quite a bit of rambling, due to being nervous in front of people I know. I also felt like I had a HUGE advantage already being a member of the church, and a HUGE disadvantage being a member. It was easier for me to answer questions like "What other things would you like to see for the music program?", because I already have a good idea of what's there, but then again, it makes it harder to think out of the box BECAUSE I know what's there, and I know the guy who's doing the job now does a fabulous job. I was sure to make it clear that I understood that this is completely separate from my church membership, and could differentiate between being a member, and being an employee (I know this was a major concern for the committee).

Keep your fingers crossed...I should be hearing back soon.