GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,410
2 members and 2,408 guests
MSKKG, navane

Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity Recruitment Activities

Because I am not a fraternity man, I thought I would ask the current posters (particularly fraternity men) about something. If you are in a sorority, please feel free to add your thoughts, as well. I would just love to hear from as many men on here as possible who are regular posters or who are current collegiate members.

As someone who has worked on the sister-side of recruitment, I am aware of the types of nice mixers sororities have in order to meet potential new members. I know what is considered acceptable and what would be viewed as a waste of time. Now, if you are a fraternity man who wants to recruit outstanding men to join your brotherhood, what are some things you would do for activities?

I read somewhere (maybe it was on here) about a video game activity where guys get together and play Xbox or something like that. What are some other activities--especially activities that may be done on the campus or in the Student Union building? Thoughts?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

We have a restaurant on the bottom of our school union that does $2 for five wing nights on Mondays. We invite PNMs to come join us for the wings and getting to know them. On Wednesdays, we also do movie/board game/poker nights to invite guys to come along.

Also, we volunteer to help in with dorm move in day at our school. We go to the parking lot of the dorm to help the students load their stuff onto carts, secure them, and such. While doing so, we talk to the students and invite them over to a barbeque night over at the house, just as a welcoming to the school and recruitment as well.

There's other stuff that we do, but these are the main ones that I can think of at the moment.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I think my chapter's Sprig Rush calendar could answer a lot of those questions:

ETA: And maybe you can see the Fall one?:

Last edited by pshsx1; 06-01-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

What is a spam event?

Y'all get together and post about medicine and DVDs on GC? lol

Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Do you mind me asking why you guys do a 2 week rush? Or is that how everyone on campus does it? Is there an official Rush "Week"?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
What is a spam event?

Maybe it's a Monty Python event.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Y'all eat a lot.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow everyone. Thanks so much! You guys have such cool ideas. Please feel free to continue giving great ideas! I knew you all wouldn't let me down. Thank you!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I forgot to mention that I posted our calendars because Rush at LTU is centered in "the Atrium," which is basically our student union. Every GLO has a booth (up to 12' x 12' x 10') which is where PNMs can attend lunch events, meet up before heading to night events, and sit down and hang out with actives.

ETA: Also, everyone is required to participate in the Rush party rotation. That's why you see parties on the weekends. SigEp and DPhiE are always paired together, though, so our "parties" meet our risk management policies. That's why we have hors d'euvres and dancing with the Deephers and painting up with the Deephers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
What is a spam event?

LMAO. SPAM stands for Students Planning Activities Monthly. They're the planning board that hosts comedians, musicians, magicians, etc. on campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
Do you mind me asking why you guys do a 2 week rush? Or is that how everyone on campus does it? Is there an official Rush "Week"?
Those two weeks are our official recruitment period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Y'all eat a lot.
lol Yes, we do. Everyone just eats a lot because it draws people away from the cafeteria or going out for lunch or something.

Last edited by pshsx1; 06-01-2012 at 12:23 PM.