GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,498
0 members and 1,498 guests
No Members online

Old 05-20-2010, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I honestly appreciate it. I have certainly made some mistakes - and I definitely wish I had started earlier. I think this is my problem (and I take full responsibility for it): this is the first big thing I've had to do on my own in my life, and I didn't prepare myself. I think a lot of my friends and I expected to work hard, have a fun senior year, graduate, and find a great job right off the bat. Obviously that's not how it works, but I don't think I ever got the low-down on how to make it happen. I didn't seek out advice on how to network or job-hunt, and I thought I was ahead of the game by starting in the beginning of February (to be fair, a significant number of my friends didn't start until late March/early April). The advice I got from adults and co-workers at my current student job was to do things the way I've done them (start in early February and network like hell) but it hasn't been working, partially because the people I've been networking with are finding the same thing - very few job openings, and reluctance to hire a recent grad despite them putting in a good word. I wish I could go back to the littleowl of yesteryear and tell her to get things rolling sooner, but that's just not possible.

I think the other things contributing to my lack of networking and late start are that a) until about December I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, and b) I had no idea where I was going (as I mentioned before I don't have much flexibility regarding location, and while I knew my options I didn't find out where I was definitely going until late April). I don't have any aversion to doing menial or hourly work (I scooped poop at a kennel every weekend all through high school!), but my issue right now is benefits. Without getting too personal, I absolutely need to have health insurance and I have about 6 months before I'm kicked off my parents'. So, I'm perfectly willing to do internships, volunteer work or jobs without benefits, but I have a deadline for finding work with benefits. In any event, those are the kind of things I'm looking into now. I believe something will eventually turn up, but in the mean time it's causing a lot of anxiety.
Check and see if you fall into the category that will be able to stay on your parents insurance because of changes due to the new health care bill.

One thing I noticed about your first post was that you said you had to live where you are. Why? I think the worst thing to do when you are looking for a job in a specific field is to tether yourself to a specific area. If you are in desperate need of a job, open your net as far as you can. Be prepared to interview far and wide. If you are staying in a certain area for a boyfriend, ask yourself, is this the relationship that will lead to marriage? If not, then ask yourself, is this a relationship worth risking being unemployed, uninsured and dirt poor for? Long distance relationships can and do work if both parties want them to work. Your career is an important part of your self-worth and getting a good job is something you should take seriously. Good luck!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-20-2010, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovypq View Post
You've gotten a lot of good advice here, and I have just one thing to add: Use your school's alumni office/association. I am from a small school, but I know that it's been a huge source for a lot of people. Go to alumni events in your area (they're usually kinda fun anyway) because you never know who you might meet. See if your school has an online alumni community, because these will often have job boards or other ways to make connections.

Good luck! I know it's a hard time to be looking for a job. My sister and dad are, and it's not pretty no matter how old/experienced you are.
I always hated networking (still do) because I thought it was a way of getting things I may not deserve. I didn't think it was fair that people would get jobs because of who they knew instead of what they knew. My parents told me that's the way the world works, so I should change my outlook. I ended up getting a federal internship that could have turned into a permanent job (I turned it down to go to grad school at the last minute), but I got that internship by speaking to an alum from my school, who hired me to work for him. We still keep in touch. I still don't like networking, but many companies, including mine, stress it. That's another thing my parents were right about- everyone else does it, so why should they all get the advantage over you??
Old 05-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
I always hated networking (still do) because I thought it was a way of getting things I may not deserve. I didn't think it was fair that people would get jobs because of who they knew instead of what they knew. My parents told me that's the way the world works, so I should change my outlook. I ended up getting a federal internship that could have turned into a permanent job (I turned it down to go to grad school at the last minute), but I got that internship by speaking to an alum from my school, who hired me to work for him. We still keep in touch. I still don't like networking, but many companies, including mine, stress it. That's another thing my parents were right about- everyone else does it, so why should they all get the advantage over you??
Instead of hating networking, you should hate it when people get opportunities that they are unqualified for. They aren't the same thing. As for your own networking, you should never assume that you don't deserve a desired outcome. That includes lacking some of the initial qualifications and being given a chance with the expectation that you will acquire these necessary skills.

ETA: Networking is especially a problem for particular age groups and for racial and ethnic minorities. There are networking organizations and events for a very good reason. One reason is racial and ethnic minorities are often socialized to believe that taking advantage of who they know is against the individual skill set that America is built on. Of course, that's untrue but socializing particular groups to "go out and get it on your own--anything else is affirmative action or something" has helped to maintain the status quo. Also, some people (think they) don't have access to beneficial networks. Also2, some people don't know how to act in networking situations.

Last edited by DrPhil; 05-20-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

^^ That was always my problem- thinking that if I knew someone who knew someone in a company and they got my resume that way, I got in for an interview, and then got hired, I used to think that I was using an advantage that wasn't totally ethical. But then I realized that knowing someone just got me to the interview stage. It was all me from there!!

OP, I know you don't have work experience yet, but what about signing up for LinkedIn.com? Some people think it's a joke, other people use it. You can join your sorority's alum group, your college's alum group, and search for people you know that maybe you went to high school with or knew from college. You'd be surprised to find people you know who are in the field you're interested in, and you could always shoot them an email and see where things go from there. It's just another avenue I'm throwing out there.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
OP, I know you don't have work experience yet, but what about signing up for LinkedIn.com? Some people think it's a joke, other people use it. You can join your sorority's alum group, your college's alum group, and search for people you know that maybe you went to high school with or knew from college. You'd be surprised to find people you know who are in the field you're interested in, and you could always shoot them an email and see where things go from there. It's just another avenue I'm throwing out there.
Yep. There are also a lot of opportunities that are exclusively listed on LinkedIn.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Another key is to understand that beginning your longterm CAREER doesn't mean that the JOB that you find has to be the one that you're in forever. It could be a good start until you find the next place your career will take you.

People would be fools if they didn't carry a business card or find other ways to network at a sorority function, a community service event, or an event like a gala. There are companies that send emails to employees about jobs to send their friends and families. In other words, there ARE jobs out there and someone WILL BE getting those jobs. The jobs may not be in your field or career interest, but this means that things are not as hopeless for EVERYONE. The unemployment rates are the way they are for a number of reasons and not just because the job market is sparse and competitive.
Agreed on both counts. When looking for a career (not a JOB, a CAREER), you really have to have a longterm vision. That may mean that you're not making as much right away. That's fine if you're looking at your career for the next 5-10 years, rather than the next 5-10 months.

Like DrPhil said, networking is key! Meet people in your field, ask questions, and act like you want to learn about the field. That goes a long way to helping you make contacts, and, perhaps, helping you get interviews.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:37 AM

I graduated college in 2003 which was also a very tough year for new graduates (although this year is definitely tougher). I was competing for jobs with all the new graduates plus people who had been working for years but were willing to settle for lower pay just to put food on their table. I had a few interviews before my graduation date but no jobs. I had done internships in college but it still didn't match-up to the real world experience many of the other job seekers had. I worked part-time at Bloomingdale's and spent the rest of my day job searching. It was humbling to work at a job that I had worked at during my summers while in college but employers that I interviewed with appreciated the fact that I wasn't sitting on my butt. I kept in touch with one of my favorite professors. She also happened to be the head of the business school's internship program. Occasionally, employers would contact her about a full-time position. When a local company contacted her about needing a new grad to fill a marketing position, she sent them my resume and voi-la! I finally had a job three months after I graduated. Keep in touch with your professors and let them know you're job hunting. Many of them consult in their respective fields and will be the first to know if a company is hiring. Make sure to stay on these professors' radars. When they hear of an opening, they'll think of you first.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Check and see if you fall into the category that will be able to stay on your parents insurance because of changes due to the new health care bill.
I've been reluctant to respond here because I had no trouble finding a job when I graduated in 2009. And, just found out last week that my county renewed my contract for 2010-2011. I do teach special ed which I know had something to do with it.

Anyway, I was going to say--I'm pretty sure that now, under a new law (it may be the new health care bill), that a dependent can stay on the parent's insurance as long as they are unemployed or in school until they are 26. My parents looked into it last summer because if I lapse, I'll never get coverage again. Have your folks call their companies, but I would bet that is the case.

Best of luck! And, keep us posted!