GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,038
2 members and 1,036 guests
AOIIalum, zsamulpitt5293

Old 03-06-2001, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Quote:
I've never understood why a school with a 65% female population does not have more sororities...we've got another fraternity scheduled to colonize next fall, and have had 3 fraternities colonize within the last 2-3 years. [/B]
I find that most people view new comers into the game as competition for members, resources, and status. For the IFc groups its harder to prevent others from coming on, and may not be legal.

The NPC groups have built-in protection in the NPC compact. I am not sure if it takes a unanimous vote of Panhell or a majority to let a new chapter come on. But ragrdless they don't have to let a sorority be recognized.

Our Panhell here made one group wait around three semesters.

Old 03-09-2001, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemyglo:

I wasnt trying to be insulting, when I dated a guy in FH that was what I was told by a member of Ceres (that they were for Ag majors) I didn't know they were international, though, mainly because I looked for a forum for Ceres and not finding one I thought that meant you were local. I am truly sorry if I offended you... I certainly wasn't trying to.
Don't worry about it I didn't mean to come off sounding offended. I just wanted to educate. I'm a Gamma pledge class member so I guess that info was a lot more important to know back when i pledged spring '97. Thats all

Old 04-14-2001, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Iowa State:
about 30,000 students

14 Sororities and 28 Fraternities

13% greeks
Old 04-14-2001, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by EzeKKG:
#1 Greek Campus In the US!
2300 Students
7 Sororities
12 Fraternities
80% of campus is Greek. People are kind of outcasts if they aren't in a house. It's ridiculous at times. Rush is brutal.

I have a friend who attended DePauw her freshman year and wanted nothing to do with greek life there. (Although most of her friends were/are greeks). Then she transferred to my school, Capital University (Columbus, OH). There are approximately 1800 undergrads, and about 5-8% greek (depending on the year). She pledged my (our) GLO her 1st semester there!

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com

Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 04-15-2001, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DBPM04
I am a student at U of Illinois...we are the largest greek system in the country supposively..."Nation's largest Greek-letter community: 54 fraternities and 30 sororities; about 20% of all undergraduates participate" fraternities had a fall '99 member total of 2552 (it's larger this year i don't know by how much) I am not sure if that counts the new BGLOs or not...i am not familliar with them...there are a lot of greeks...that's all i know....

------------------
Smile Pep Charm Style that's what we have...but most of all you'll love our laugh (whooaa)
Old 05-12-2001, 10:19 PM
Banned

Wow. Sometimes I wish I went to some of your schools instead. I go to University of Chicago and somewhere in one of the new student manuals, it says greek life is around 10% but if I had to make a guess myself I would go more around 6 or 7%
Old 05-12-2001, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey:
Wow. Sometimes I wish I went to some of your schools instead. I go to University of Chicago and somewhere in one of the new student manuals, it says greek life is around 10% but if I had to make a guess myself I would go more around 6 or 7%

I would say that the 10% is probably the number of people who go through Rush...and fewer actually are initiated. I know that there's usually some attrition between the end of Rush (when numbers are submitted) and Initiation.

------------------
Quote:
"Don't tell me I've been wrong...don't tell me all the magic's gone."--Liz Phair
Old 05-13-2001, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe that 20% of the student population at Indiana University is greek.

we have 19 sororities and about 26 (the number fluctuates) fraternities.

Xp2K
Old 05-13-2001, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

East Carolina University (Greenville, NC)

9 NPC groups

14 IFC Groups

Maybe 10% Greek
Old 05-14-2001, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to douthit Send a message via Yahoo to douthit
At Montana State University-Bozeman, there are 7 fraternities and 4 sororities, with about 5 to 7 percent of the 11,000 students greek.
Old 05-14-2001, 09:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Rudey--

Is this the University of Illinois at Chicago? I get the two mixed up if there are two. I apologize if I've done it again

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey:
Old 05-14-2001, 07:21 PM
Banned

Hey Shadokat,

nope just the University of Chicago. If you find yourself bored and want to check out the website for more info, it's http://www.uchicago.edu. But there are two and it's an easy mistake so no worries

Quote:
Originally posted by shadokat:
Rudey--

Is this the University of Illinois at Chicago? I get the two mixed up if there are two. I apologize if I've done it again

For other people who have low percentages: What's the population at your school? Trust me 10% of 20,000 isn't too shabby. Now if out of 4400 kids, about 250 kids are greek - then greek life just isn't flourishing.
Old 05-14-2001, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by DBPM04:
am a student at U of Illinois...we are the largest greek system in the country supposively..."Nation's largest Greek-letter community: 54 fraternities and 30 sororities; fraternities had a fall '99 member total of 2552
HOLY WOW!!!!!!!!!! That is just amazing. Rush must be totally confusing.

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited May 14, 2001).]
Old 05-15-2001, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I think our school consists of about 2% greek. We have 3 sororities and 4 frats. I think one of the reasons there aren't many greeks is because of all the things we see and hear on TV. I saw this movie that was about a sorority hazing and accidently killing girls for rush. I have never seen any signs of hazing at our schools. I think there should be shows and movies that show what greeks really do. The greeks are the ones that mostly run the clubs at our school. We should be given credit for all the wonderful things we do with philanthropies and other ways we help our community. Instead, the media shows the mistakes some greeks make and give students and parents a negative view on greeks. Us greeks should try to find a way to change this.
Old 05-18-2001, 02:58 AM

Talking

At The University of Arizona there are 22 fraternities and 15 sororities. I think about 600-700 women go through fall rush. It's really intense and pretty darn exhausting. Pledge classes can range from as low as 16 to as high as 70-100.