GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,349
2 members and 1,347 guests
asamathattso539, bapitytts7552

Old 05-08-2011, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

RECRUITMENT STORY...from a long time ago

So, it's not real recent, but here's my story...

Nobody in my family was Greek, so when I decided I wanted to rush, my Daddy about flipped out. He was convinced that I'd only start dating 'frat boys' who liked to party (i.e. animal house). But, after some talking, he and Mama relented and I was allowed to go through. After all, I am (and always have been) a "good girl" so they really had nothing to worry about. I graduated HS with special honors, so GPA was not an issue for me. I was not "Miss It" in high school, but was reasonably well-liked and friends with most every "group" at my school. I was involved in high school and placed in our local junior miss, so I felt somewhat assured that I'd have an okay rush...but really had NO clue because I hadn't the foggiest idea what Greek life was really about. I mean, I didn't even know to get recs. My roomie told me some about it, but mainly the ones I got were received by the chapters at the school unsolicited by me because I really didn't know what was going on.

My roomie was a legacy (through her mom) and already had her mind made up that she would pledge her mom's chapter. So, when we went to visit the school during the spring semester of our senior year in HS, we stayed at the house where she was a legacy. And, not knowing ANYTHING about Greek Life, I just assumed that I'd pledge with her. We had a great time there and they'd made a sign with our names on it - which I though was SUPER COOL and interpreted as a "they want me" clue.

Because I don't want to give anything away about where I pledged, I'll use flowers instead of sorority names. Here are the 7 that were at my school during that time:

STARGAZER
ORCHID
CARNATIRON
ROSE
PEONY
HYDRANGEA
DAISY

The DAISY group was relatively new on campus and were in the process of building a house when I went through. So, their parties were in another location on campus and we had to be bused there from the houses.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

DAY 1

STARGAZER - loved this group. As soon as I walked up to the front of the house, I thought, "WOW!" Met lots of sweet girls inside, but was kinda unsure if I was "cool" enough for this house. Everyone seemed so wonderfully put-together...but I was kinda worried that I knew NOTHING about this house or their reputation. I did have a rec for this house.

ORCHID - a top house on campus, but I didn't know anyone there or get the feeling that they really wanted to get to know me. I knew enough to know that I wanted this house to be on my list the next day...but only because everyone else said it was a great house. Not sure if I had a rec.

CARNATION - this is the house my roomie was a legacy to. I was SO excited to get there!! Felt at ease since I'd spent the night there before. Knew it was a popular house on campus with a good reputation, so it was a top choice! I had a rec to this chapter.

ROSE - had fun in this house, all the girls seemed sweet and eager to make me feel at home, but I knew this house had a bad reputation with regard to boys. So, I really never considered this house as an option. Unsure if I had a rec here or not.

PEONY - Knew it was a popular house, and that I was supposed to like it, but didn't get the feeling like I belonged there or would fit in at all...even though I had a 2nd cousin in the chapter. Not sure if I had a rec for this house, but - like i said - my cousin was in the chapter...

HYDRANGEA - very nice group. Seemed genuine and sincere, but I got the feeling that they were not all that "popular" on campus. However, I flt at ease in the house. DID have rec for this house.

DAISY - obviously a new group. Seemed nice, but also semed a little desperate, like they were trying TOO hard. I didn't dislike them, but had no interest in returning there. Don't think I had a rec.

Rank for the day:
CARNATION
STARGAZER
PEONY

ORCHID
HYDRANGEA

ROSE
DAISY

Let's see what tomorrow brings...
Old 05-08-2011, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

DAY 2

Our rush counselors told us that since DAISY was a relatively new group on campus, and it was the first time they were participating in formal rush, that they (Greek Life) were structuring rush differently this year and we could go back to as many houses as we were invited to. I had no interest in going back to DAISY, but our rush counselors explained that if we wanted to 'play the game right' and maximize our choices to try & be guaranteed a bid, we should attend the max amount of parties we could. So, that's what I did. Went back to all 7.

STARGAZER- still loving this house! My roomie called some friends who'd attended this school previously and checked on their rep for me. Stellar! This group was really growing on me, although I knew almost NOTHING about them. Gave a house tour this day - AWESOME house!! Could see myself living there.

ORCHID- didn't feel welcomed or like they wanted to get to know me. But, I tried to make a good impression. The girl I talked to really didn't mesh well with me. But, I knew I wanted it to be on my list again as a "top 4" choice for tomorrow because everyone said they were a good group.

CARNATION- SOOOO excited to go back here today!! Again felt very at ease and at home here. Could see myself pledging with my roomie and living here. The rooms/bathroom set up was not as nice as STARGAZER, but it would be fine. Really loving this house!

ROSE- again felt fine in the house. Very comfortable with all the girls, but didn't want their rep on me. Could NOT see myself wearing these letters.

PEONY- Some of their presentation got very sentimental and many girls were crying. I thought it was sweet, if a little emotional. Still knew that this was a top group, even though I wasn't feeling the vibe here...but my cousin was still in the house...although I hadn't talked to her.

HYDRANGEA- SWEET girls here!! Although not seen as a "top" house on campus, they were so nice to me and seemed to go out of their way to try and get to know me. I was impressed at their attention to detail and felt very welcome.

DAISY- oh, bless their hearts! They really seemed to be trying hard, but it was even more obvious on this day that they were struggling badly. Had no desire to return here.

For the next day we could return to 4 houses, max. Here's my ranking:

CARNATION
STARGAZER
PEONY

ORCHID
HYDRANGEA

ROSE
DAISY

Here's hoping I get my Top 4 for 3rd round tomorrow...

Last edited by GreekGirley; 05-08-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

DAY 3
Here's my party schedule:

CARNATION
STARGAZER
HYDRANGEA
ROSE

YES!! Got my top 2 back!!
I was a little surprised that PEONY let me go because my cousin was in that group, but we were not all that close, and I really could not see myself there, so it was fine. ORCHID was not a shock either. I didn't think they were really interested in me, but still it felt bad to have a top house drop me.

HYDRANGEA - again, really felt comfortable here - like they truly were glad I was there and wanted me there. For sure my #3 behind CARNATION & STARGAZER.

CARNATION - becoming convinced that THIS is where I need to be...along with my roomie. They had a cute skit and really seemed like "good girls" which appealed to me. They were a FOR SURE on my list for the next day!!

STARGAZER - so confused...because I LOVE THIS HOUSE!!! I know I'm supposed to like CARNATION first and best because that's where my roomie is going and where lots of "good girls" go, but I feel SO 'right' here...could totally see myself in their skit the next year and had a blast watching it.

ROSE - Oh, please...Lord...please...do NOT make me go back here again. Although they're so nice to me, I just cannot bear lining up outside this house again and having everyone stare at me. It's probably paranoia, but I just know everyone is looking at me thinking I must have the same reputation as these girls...

Rankings after pref:
CARNATION & STARGAZER - tied for 1st...and I'm so confused
HYDRANGEA
ROSE

So tomorrow is pref. Let's see if my roomie and I get what we want...
Old 05-08-2011, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

DAY 4

Went with my roomie to get our party lists and I went in first. I had my max of 2 parties - YEA!!! But, CARNATION was not one of them.

For a split second, I was shocked. I mean, I had stayed in their house. I'd had good conversations there and thought they liked me!?!?! My roomie is a legacy! What's going on?? But, just about that quickly, I realized that I still had STARGAZER on my list and that I'd loved them all week.

It was then that I realized God had taken CARNATION off my list for a reason. He knew where I was supposed to be and was making my decision easier by removing the one that was getting my attention and getting in the way of loving STARGAZER.

Then I was fine. I was supposed to be a STARGAZER. I KNEW I was. But, now I just had to tell my roomie...and try not to get too embarassed...

So I came out of the room and immediately met my roomie in the hallway as she was walking out of her rush counselor's room. She said, "CARNATION & STARGAZER?" (which is what we'd both decided to pref) and I had to say, "Well, no. CARNATION didn't invite me back...but, I've still got STARGAZER and that's what I'm supposed to be. A STARGAZER."

At this point, she was more crushed that me. She had become as convinced as me that we'd be CARNATIONS together and have a grand time... But, that wasn't to be. She was prefing her top 2 - knowing that she would be a CARNATION since she'd made it to pref with them - and I was hoping that STARGAZER liked me as much as I liked them.

Now, it's party time!!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Party Time!

STARGAZER was up first and I was SUPER excited! I just KNEW I had to be a STARGAZER but wasn't sure how to let them know that. My rush counselor had scared me to death about saying too much or saying the wrong thing. And, since I didn't have any clue about this Greek stuff, I was clueless! So, I went in and hoped for the best.

I again had "that feeling" that this house is where I'm supposed to be. A girl picked me up at the door and talked to me - and we had tons of things in common - shocking, I know... HA! Didn't learn until WAY later that they match you up with girls you have things in common with...and that if they like you then you get to sit in the front.

Anyway, this girl asked me if I had any questions for her and I really didn't, but I asked her how she knew she wanted to be a STARGAZER just because I felt like I needed to say SOMETHING. She gave a super sweet explanation and I was further convinced that this is where I should be. She then asked me if I knew what I was going to do or if I was just confused, to which I said I was confused (becasue my counselor had scared me to death about saying the wrong thing!).

The party continued and they sang some super sweet songs that brought tears to my eyes and I just KNEW I had to be here!! So, as I was leaving, the girl who'd walked me in came back over and walked along side me to ask if I was still confused... I was in a brief panic, because I wanted her to know that I wanted STARGAZER but was afraid to say too much. So, when she asked if I was still confused, I just shot her a big toothy smile and shook my head "no" - and as I walked out the door I had a shot of fear run through me... Had she understood me and realized that I was telling her I wanted STARGAZER? Oh, well - too late now...it's off to HYDRANGEA's party for me...

HYDRANGEA - as soon as I walked in, I knew that although this was a super nice house and they'd been nothing but kind to me, that I belonged elsewhere. 2 girls who'd talked to me during the week came back over and spoke to me, telling me how happy they were that I'd chosen to return to them for pref. I smiled and nodded a lot, but don't remember saying much. I was still thinking about STARGAZER and wondering if I'd done enough to let them know how I felt.

I'm pretty sure that HYDRANGEA thought I'd been to CARNATION before them because of my roomie, so I don't think they knew where else I'd been.

They did a beautiful ceremony and gave me something to throw into a fountain and make a 'wish' upon for the next day...and although I felt a little wrong for doing it in their house during such a lovely ceremony, I tossed my item into the fountain and wished *prayed* that I would not return there tomorrow. Then we left.

STARGAZER is my choice. NO question. I filled out my card and triple checked it to make sure I did it right. Then, I also listed HYDRANGEA as my #2 choice so I could "play the game right" like my rush counselor had talked about all week. But, I was still praying that God would finish what He'd started when he took CARNATION off my list that morning.

Now, nothing left to do but wait.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah! I can't wait! Thank you for posting all at once haha
Old 05-08-2011, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

BID DAY

So, the time has come!! It's here. I'm nervous and scared and not sure that I slept a whole lot. My roomie knows that since she went to CARNATION'S pref, she's supposed to be a lock for a spot there, but she's still kinda nervous too because CARNATION at this school is all she'd EVER wanted and she knows it's a top chapter and competitive.

We waited in our room for our bids.

And the moment FINALLY came. As we were sitting on the floor of our room, close to the door, an envelope came underneath the door. It had my name on it, so I picked it up.

I must've stared at the outside of the envelope for a few seconds because I remember my roomie saying, "Well, open it already!!" So, I did...and here's what I found...

STARGAZER!!!!! I'd gotten a bid to STARGAZER!!! I couldn't believe it!! I'd never been SO excited!! HOORAY!!!

My roomie congratulated me and her bid came shortly after - and of course she got CARNATION like we'd both thought she would. We rejoiced together and knew that we were both where we needed to be.

BID DAY HERE WE COME!!

So, in case you're wondering where that BID DAY was, I'll tell you. I went to BID DAY to join my new sisters in.........................

DELTA GAMMA!! And I've been a happy little Anchor Girl ever since!!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Belated Congratulations! Your story was really fun to read!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

great story!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

If you don't mind my asking, who was Hydrangea?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriana View Post
Why do you ask? Think you know...??
Old 05-09-2011, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriana View Post
In my GC experience, unless the OP offers, it's "bad form" to ask specifics.

Loved your story, and the insight you showed. Great read!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to you and DG!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh - left this little tidbit out by mistake...it has been a while since this all went down...

Less than a week later, the rush chair for HYDRANGEA called me. I was kinda taken back when I answered the phone and she identified herself. She went on to say that they wanted to invite me over to their house for dinner that week and were 'sorry that rush didn't work out' for me.

I was baffled!!

I mean, I'd already gone to the DELTA GAMMA house for bid day and a meeting...and I'd already had lunch there between classes on a couple of days... Had they decided they didn't want me or something?? What was going on??

As these questions flooded my mind, I must've sounded like a total idiot on the phone because I was silent for a moment and then babbled something about being a DELTA GAMMA. (I really can't remember exactly what I said!)

At that point, the HYDRANGEA girl on the phone blurted a brief "I'm sorry" and informed me that my name had been put on the "wrong list," wished me the best in DG and hung up.

I was like WHAT THE...???? My roomie was, of course, stunned - like me (she was there when it all went down) - and tried to reassure me that nothing was wrong with me & DELTA GAMMA and that it must've just been some kinda of mix-up by HYDRANGEA that had nothing to do with my status as a DELTA GAMMA.

To calm my mind, I sought out a DELTA GAMMA member that I'd first met during the week prior and I told her my story of what had just happened. At that point, she gave me a *very* brief overview of chapter total and COB and explained that this group must be a few short of total and just trying to get to total quickly so that all of their new girls would be in the same pledge class. She even threw in a "they must've really wanted you!" to make me feel better.

Needless to say, I was relieved that DELTA GAMMA still wanted me (*I laugh about it now*) and that I didn't have to go back into that HYDRANGEA house. HA! HA!

Anyone else have other post-rush funny stories?