GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 747
3 members and 744 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 01:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I am glad you are sticking with the recruitment process! Keep that open mind and you never know...you may be plesantly surprised at what Greek life may bring you!
Old 08-22-2002, 02:02 AM

Good luck! I am hoping that you will continue on with rush. I admire the fact that you are giving greek life a chance. Whatever happens, know that GC is behind you! Good luck!
Old 08-22-2002, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to memolano Send a message via MSN to memolano
don't give up!

don't give up on sorority life! you probably haven't found the house for you just yet! give it some time, and when you've found the right place, you'll "just know"!

good luck!

Jill
Kappa Delta alumna
Louisiana/Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns
Old 08-22-2002, 05:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDHoney
Out of all those choices, I can see how finding a home can get confusing! Don't give up yet...I think you'd be an asset to any sisterhood!
Old 08-22-2002, 07:23 AM

Thanks so much for keeping us updated!

Remember that this is a hectic, crazy process. It is really hard to make decisions sometimes. I'm glad to see that you're thinking about the decisions you have to make and considering your options. There's nothing wrong with realizing that some of the chapters aren't for you, that's why recruitment is considered a mutual selection process.

Of course, I'm really glad you said you were going to keep going through the rounds--what may not be clear to you right now could be crystal clear by tomorrow. Like Jill said, when you find the sorority (or sororities!) where you could be happy for a lifetime, you'll know.

If you get time today, make sure to do something to spoil yourself! Have a great time at your parties, all five organizations are great!

Christin
Old 08-22-2002, 07:40 AM
GreekChat Member

curlygirly, I bet you ARE getting frazzled! I agree, when you have so many choices and have to meet so many people, it all starts to blur! Just think what the actives are feeling! They want the PNMs to like them too! It's a rough time for all concerned.
Hang in there and try not to let the tension get to you. Blank everything out except what you feel when you are with the different houses. Try to understand that once recruitment is over, everyone becomes normal again-well, MOST everyone!

A side note to your roommate, no one can possibly know where you will find happiness but YOU. Some people are happy living in a mountain cabin by a lake. Others couldn't survive without the bright lights of New York City. Is it a matter of isolation vs over crowding OR nature's serenity and balance versus high energy and excitement? It all depends on YOUR perspective and the mark you leave on the scenery. Each are equally beautiful and exciting. Each offers an environment that allows for individuality and growth.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

curlygirly,
Honey, this is a stressful week but I assure you that life in a sorority does not consist of skits and cheers and five minute conversations every day. Nobody could live like that.

Listen, this is about finding a home, that's why we keep stressing that women keep an open mind and heart. The women who have been through this on both sides know that the decorations get taken down and then the real work of being a family begins.

Just to let you know, this is what its like to be an ADPi for me this week.
One of my sister's father is sick and she's home and very far away, we are all sending her little encouraging emails every day so she knows we are with her.
My other sister goes in for surgery Monday and all of us (other ADPis) have taken a "time slot" to go and spend time with her and make sure she's never alone while she recovers.
I just celebrated two sister's "big birthdays" this week, and was there to help them face the fear that these milestones bring up.
Tomorrow I'm going to pick up my bridesmaid dress of my sister who is getting married in a few weeks.

So, that's what it's like being a sorority alumnae this week for me.
(I can't tell you all that it has been in my life, that would take too long and my posts are growing in length each and every day! )
But its very much like this I would say, for all the other women posting on the board. That's why we are so thrilled to read of other women entering into this experience.

At any rate, that's my two cents, I hope its worth at least that much.
So take a deep breath and see what these houses have to offer. As my big sister still says, "Breathe out with Fear and in with God."
God luck curlygirly, I know you're going to find the right place.

P.S. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to see how much I have to be grateful for! It's been really good for me to write this post, I am a fortunate woman.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sassykd
Curlygirl,

Violets is right. There is a lot more to being in a sorority than the skits and costumes and what they feed you during rush (sorry recruitment). Being a sister in any organization is about the intangible connection you have with thousands of women around the world. Its about wearing your letters in a mall and being approached by women of all ages because, even though you have never met, they are your sister.

Its about being there when your big sister gets lettered by her boyfriend and getting the call years later that he has finally proposed and they are getting married.

There is so much involved in being in a sorority. The most important thing that you can do is listen to your heart. Your friends, your roommates, and your fellow PMNs will all try to talk you into going one way, but you have to go the way that is right for you.

Have lots of fun the rest of this week, we are all waiting with baited breath to hear the rest of your story.

Melissa
Old 08-22-2002, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 2 is OVER!!!

Hello ladies! It is FINALLY the end of Round 2!!! I'm a bit nervous about who is going to invite me back...but we'll see tomorrow at 8:30am! I feel like I'm going to take my SATs or something...so much pressure!

Anyway...today was super hot, and super gross. The first house I was at had a tent that didn't cover a thing! The sun came in from all sides, so by the time I got in the house I wanted to down gallons of water and sit under the fan! lol....I'm getting to know some of the houses better, but at the same time I'm getting really tired of this tedious process. I definitely have some favorites...but I won't say anything until I get my list of invites tomorrow. I'd be upset if they didn't ask me back.

Here are the houses I visited today:

AEPhi
KD
AChiO
KATheta
PhiMu

I had great conversations at KD and AChiO. In each house I felt like there was some sort of connection. And I was excited b/c as I was walking out of the KD house, the girl who rushed me first round...mouthed Hi to me! yay! So we'll see!

Anyway...my boyfriend is back in town, and I'm on my way to help him move in to his new apartment. I'll be back on later ladies to read all your responses.

Thanks so much for all the support....
Old 08-22-2002, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sassykd
YEAH!! I am so glad that you enjoyed yourself at KD!! I have to admit I am a little biased but my aunt is an AChiO so I know that both houses are wonderful. Have fun and follow your heart.

~Melissa
Old 08-22-2002, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDLor
Re: Round 2 is OVER!!!

CurlyGirly~

I'm glad you are having fun and keeping an open mind. Recruitment is very overwhelming. I can understand completely. When I went through rush I was just going through to meet some great people. I was dead set against Pledging any where. I had so many misconceptions about greek life. I had several friends in a few of the houses and basically decided to go through just so I could talk with them. The whole time I was going to the parties, I kept saying that I would never join. As the parties went on, I realized that I knew alot more greeks then I had thought. I was still undecided to join anywhere until pref. I knew at pref what I wanted to do. Well then there I was on Bid night accepting my bid...Going greek was on of the best decision I made. Well now that I've rambled on for a while...I guess my point is to follow your heart! You will know what's right for you. Others will try to help you with the decision but only you can choose what path to go down. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of your story....

Lori
Old 08-22-2002, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

curlygirly,
Sounds like things are looking good! Great conversations can turn into great lifelong friendships, believe me!
KDLor, thanks for posting your story here, it's a great example of being open and letting your heart lead you to a place that is right for you. (And a place you never thought you would be!)

Good luck tomorrow curlygirly...you UF girls are in my thoughts.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sassykd
The most important thing that you can do is listen to your heart. Your friends, your roommates, and your fellow PMNs will all try to talk you into going one way, but you have to go the way that is right for you.

couldn't say it better myself!
good luck!

~*~
Old 08-22-2002, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Fewdfreak
I just read the new posts on this thread and I am so excited for you!

L.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDHoney
Curlygirly, I'm off to Chicago for the weekend, but I'll check back in when I get home to see how you're doing...I wish you nothing but the best
Closed Thread