GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,363
1 members and 1,362 guests
John

Old 08-19-2005, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
I don't think I've ever seen a rush thread where the rushee doesn't like so many groups. I'm not making a judgment -- just an observation.
I wish I had a rush thread when I was going through I can hear myself now
"the girl I talked to smelled horribly- I couldn't wait to talk to the next girl because I sincerely was about to wretch from the stink this girl presented. "
"the shoved a photo album in my lap and said HERE! Look at us!- uhm I dont know these girls and these pictures mean nothing to me.."
"This girl asked me if I was a piece of furniture what would I be and why- what's up with that!?"

Out of 7 chapters only three did I really like, and of them 1 was iffy at best.

Facebook
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2005, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemyglo
I wish I had a rush thread when I was going through I can hear myself now
"the girl I talked to smelled horribly- I couldn't wait to talk to the next girl because I sincerely was about to wretch from the stink this girl presented. "
"the shoved a photo album in my lap and said HERE! Look at us!- uhm I dont know these girls and these pictures mean nothing to me.."
"This girl asked me if I was a piece of furniture what would I be and why- what's up with that!?"

Out of 7 chapters only three did I really like, and of them 1 was iffy at best.
HAHA that's awesome.

Now that I think about it, it's kind of cool to hear about instances of someone NOT liking some of the groups -- at least it's honest, and not "blah blah blah OMG EVERYONE IS SO GREAT!!!!!"
Old 08-19-2005, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I was invited back to Jeanne, Dora, and Agnes.

It wasn't the greatest of days for me, since Frances [my favorite] dropped me. We watched the sisterhood videos and none of the 3 really struck me as a home. I'm really discouraged.

I'll be going through Prefs day, probably back to those 3, assuming none of them cut me tonight.

I'll give it my best shot to keep an open mind about them.

This isn't quite the week that I expected, so it's hard to keep morale up.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
Booo IVAN I didn't like them anyway. Just kidding. Listen next year this time you will be able to look back and hopefully realize that everything that is happening has worked out for YOUR best. I think I got cut from the sorority that I thought I NEEDED to be in and I look back now to realize that wasn't my HOME.

I hope you don't loose hope and I hope that you enjoy your "pledge" class, cause those are the sisters you REALLY remember. Find out which sorority out of the ones you have suits your needs. And know that there are as many different girls in that sorority, as there are sisters in the chapter.

Also, from what I understand you need to keep writing the sororities down that you are willing to take a bid from. For instance, @ UNA we have 4 sororities we were told to write all 4 sororities down every night in the order of our preference. Even if you didn't go to the theme or pref, cause like I have said before you never know how those lists fall.

Don't forget to tell the sorority that you are the most interested in that you are interested in them. I know you are nervous and you don't want to sound desperate but, if they don't know you are interested and they know another pm is interested in them then they will rank accordingly.

That is all for now. I don't want to sound like a broken record but HAVE FUN.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

big deep breathe time...
keep going, let things unfold and see what plays out.
i know that sounds simplistic, but right now you are tired and wee bit down.
just keep looking around at the other girls and think they might be your new class sisters. (i know you can't say pledge anymore)
lol
Old 08-19-2005, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry your favorite didn't work out and you didn't feel a major connection with the three groups that are left. However, I think it's great that you're still going to prefs to see what happens.

(Just so that what I'm about to say makes sense: I went to a small school with a small Greek system, just three sororities) Personally, I was a little bit similar to you in that when I went through, by the middle of recruitment I only really liked one group- and that one dropped me. But you know what? I stuck it out through prefs and found a great home. Sure, I could've been happy with the other two groups. But honestly I think that the way everything worked out was great for me. Sometimes the sorority women can see things that PNMs can't- they have a better feel for their group than you do, obviously, and they may think that you'd fit in best elsewhere. From my experience, they were right! Of couse, that doesn't necessarily apply to you. Just some food for thought. Above all else, just follow your gut! And remember- you'll never know if you don't try ;-) Have fun, and good luck!
Old 08-19-2005, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been lurking on this web site for almost three years and this is the thread that made me actually register. WOW. I'm a UCF alum...if you couldn't already tell and there is sooooo much that I would love to tell you. I don't even know where to start.

First, major snaps for you in keeping a good attitude and staying positive. It's the best (and in my opinion-only) way to make it through recruitment.

Second, this is your experience-so own it. So many people talk about the way that you SHOULD feel during recruitment, but everyone is different. Try looking at it from a different point of view. Look at the chapters you visited today and think about what you could bring to them. So nothing struck you as home, but what could you do to make it that way? For example: Is this a chapter I could see myself helping in terms of leadership, etc.?

Throw out that preconceived notion of "home" and really dig down to the basics of what you really need in a sisterhood. What are the bare essentials for you in a black and white picture? You may be surprised at all the superficial things that fly out the window.

During one party my senior year, I had a potential member comment to me that she hadn't really felt comfortable at many of the houses and one of my sisters jumped in with a very honest response. She told her that all of sorority life is not recruitment. Recruitment is a show. Forget about the houses and the pretty outfits and the peppy door chants for a second. If you had met these women somewhere else (like class, the union, work, whatever), could you be friends with them? Sisterhood has to start somewhere. It's something that grows and develops and changes. Don't feel like you have to have it all from the very beginning. It will come.

Above all, keep that open mind. It seems to be working pretty well for you! Three invites on video day is not at all uncommon at UCF. I only went to three that day. In fact, the only days I had a full schedule were UCF spirit day and Prefs.

Best Wishes for the rest of recruitment!
Sorry that was kind of long! I got going and just couldn't stop!
-Knight Alumna
Old 08-19-2005, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by curlyhead01

Daily Synopsis:

Dora is really nice, I just have a small grudge against them since I was cut from them last semester during spring rush. I know I shouldn't hold the grudge, but I feel like if they take me now, it's just not the right reason. That's just something personal that I don't think can change.
Agnes was a little disappointing. One of the sisters I was talking to wasn't really interesting or holding a conversation with me. I tried to think of all the other girls that I loved in their chapter, but it just wasn't as great to see them today as it was yesterday.
Jeanne and I do not match. I had a terrible time in their chapter, and I can't foresee any sisterhood with them.

So today wasn't the greatest of days...some good, some bad.
We cut it down to 5, so my list is:

Top 5 (in no order):
Dora
Agnes
Frances
Donna
Michelle

Bottom 1:
Jeanne
I just wanted to point out that Dora and Agnes were in your top 5 at this point and you did say that there are some girls in Agnes you really love and that your main problem with Dora is that they didn't COB you last year. Pref has a way of making things more clear, and I hope it works that way for you.

Dee
Old 08-19-2005, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Please don't give up hope... you will notice that pref parties are more intimate and serious than the other rounds. You will probably start to see what the organization truly stands for. During my recruitment at each party we had a pref "date" which was a sorority member that we had gotten to know during the week, and this one girl rushed us the entire time. In AOII, my pref date had written me a lovely note which had said how much she had enjoyed getting to know me and hoped that I felt the same way about them. Then they had a small ceremony which completely put me in tears, it was so touching. I think you will really like pref parties, PLEASE keep an OPEN mind. I agree with the other comments made, recruitment IS a big show but if you could see yourself being friends with the other girls in other situations, why not give it a chance?

As always, FOLLOW YOUR HEART.....

Old 08-19-2005, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

reading through your thread

I understand your disappointment and hestitant in going to to these other parties.

2 things that I really want you to think about.....

1) Informal and Formal recruitment are two different animals, as you well know. Most chapters when doing Informal recruitment only have a certain numbers of spots to fill, you could have been #5, when they only had 4 spots open. Look at this way, you might be on the top of their list.

2) Although looking at the current chapter to see if you fit in with them is a good thing. Look at the girls that are in the party with you. These ladies could be your pledge sisters, can you can see youself being sisters with these ladies?

Take some time, see which houses you get invited back with pref......really listen to the ceremony and see if those values are talking to you.

Talk with your Gamma Chis or an impartical party to talk out your thoughts....you may come back with some better insights that had not occured to you before.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 08-19-2005, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deadbear80
One fall, my chapter had only 5 spots open for COB girls...and 21 girls who came to enough COB events to be eligible for a bid from us! While we were excited that we had a lot of great girls who wanted to become a member of our sisterhood, it was SO hard to let 16 girls down. Needless to say, many of them went through formal rush in the spring and got bids from us then--one of whom is my grandlittle!
Please don't hold it against this chapter--for all you know you could've been the 'next one' to receive a bid if they had been able to. As many have said before me, it may not have been you personally...sorority life can be a numbers game unfortunately.
If you've made it this far with them, they obviously DO like you, or you would've been dropped early on like a hotcake. Please give them a chance.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deadbear80
One fall, my chapter had only 5 spots open for COB girls...and 21 girls who came to enough COB events to be eligible for a bid from us! While we were excited that we had a lot of great girls who wanted to become a member of our sisterhood, it was SO hard to let 16 girls down. Needless to say, many of them went through formal rush in the spring and got bids from us then--one of whom is my grandlittle!
Please don't hold it against this chapter--for all you know you could've been the 'next one' to receive a bid if they had been able to. As many have said before me, it may not have been you personally...sorority life can be a numbers game unfortunately.
If you've made it this far with them, they obviously DO like you, or you would've been dropped early on like a hotcake. Please give them a chance.
Your chapter must have been AWESOME on COB/COR!!!!!!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-19-2005, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey-- don't get too discouraged-- just make sure to give everyone a chance, but if push comes to shove, don't join something that you don't really want to join. Good luck at pref-- don't give up hope just yet!
Old 08-19-2005, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

hi everyone,

thanks for all your kind words.

I feel a lot better about going back to the chapters tomorrow and I really hope that I find a place in my heart for one of them.

I think I was getting caught up in a lot of what other people think about the chapters, because each PNM has their own opinion and often voices it during rush.

I really do hope that all of the houses I went to today invite me back to Prefs & I get to know them better.

So here's to new beginnings & new homes!
Old 08-19-2005, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
cheers "clink" clink" clink"