GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,947
0 members and 1,947 guests
No Members online

Old 08-11-2002, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to uwgirl
Question Advice on recruitment anyone?

Hi everyone! I was posting some messages on another board, when kappastargirl told me about KKG, so I decided to post a message here...hope you don't mind! Anyway, I'm going to be a freshman at UW-Madison and I want to rush a sorority and I know Madison has a chapter of KKG. Can any of you kappa girls give me any advice on recruitment or are there any kappas from Madison on here? I can't wait to hear back...I've heard there's great girls here!
Old 08-12-2002, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Best of luck!

Hey uwgirl--

Best of luck to you as you go through Recruitment this year! It is a wonderful (though trying) time of self-discovery that you will NEVER forget.

I'm so glad you're interested in Kappa Kappa Gamma! Kappa has so much to offer prospective new members--scholarship, philanthropy, growth & development, friendship--for a LIFETIME!!!

As you go through Recruitment, try to capture in your mind what sorts of things "ring true" to you as you visit each chapter.

In the end, you should go with the chapter that sets you "ringing" the loudest!!! I'd love it if that chapter turns out to be Kappa! But it is so important to give every chapter on your campus a chance to win your heart and head...that way, you can't make a wrong choice.

I wish you all the best that college life, Recruitment, and (hopefully) Greek life have to offer. So much is in front of you! Please know that all of us on GreekChat are rooting for you!

And please don't hesitate to post here again with any questions or concerns that you might have regarding Kappa or any sorority!

Panhellenically,

imsohappythatiama
Old 08-12-2002, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, thank you so much for the message!!! It means a lot to me that sisters are willing to reach out to recruits like me! I can't think of any specific questions about KKG right now, since I haven't even moved to school yet! When I get to school (in less than 2 weeks), I'm going to walk down "Greek Row", just to see the houses. I'm so ready to rush, that it seems like it's Christmas or my birthday or something like t hat...you know, you get so anxious and you can't wait?!
Old 08-12-2002, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink Madison rocks!

I always tell PNMs the same thing--

On the last night of Recruitment, when you're standing in those beautiful chapter houses, wearing your best formal dress, most attractive hairstyle, and nicest makeup, don't forget....

....you want to join the chapter where you will feel AT HOME in your pajamas, without makeup, wearing your glasses, with your hair in a ponytail.

I absolutely ADORED all three chapters I visited on Preference Night...but Kappa was the only one where I knew that I could be ME...and that I would be able to be MY BEST ME whether I was wearing my finest or my PJs.

One more thing....always remember that no matter what the outcome of Recruitment--whether you get your dream chapter, or your 3rd choice, or your last choice, or no choice--there is so much you will learn about yourself and about the world around you!!!

What an exciting time for you! Please keep us posted on your progress through Recruitment!!!
Old 08-12-2002, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
I just wanted to add to that...

We always tease one of my sisters about her really, secretly wanting to be somewhere else... You see, she put Kappa 3rd on her preference card. The moment she showed up on Bid Day she knew that she was in the right place, but she'd been blinded (her words) by fancy stuff elsewhere when she filled out her card. She can't imagine now what her life would be like if she'd actually gotten her 1st choice. We still give her no end of hell about wishing she lived next door, even though she's 1st VP this year and probably going to be President next. So it just goes to show you, anything can happen.

Best of luck. I've PM-ed you.

Fraternally,
KKC
Old 08-12-2002, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, thanks so much for all the advice and words of wisdom guys!!! I really appreciate it! By the way, mentioning formal and pajama wear and all that...I live relatively close to campus, but I'd still like to bring the clothes that I need for a while with me when I first move in. Given that each campus and individual sorority will be different, what kind of clothes do you basically recommend me bringing for rush? Like, semi-formal, really formal, one dress or many, etc...? Thanks, you've been a big help so far and I'll keep you posted on how it's going when it finally starts...I wish it would come soon! :P
Old 08-13-2002, 03:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Ah, fashion, my favorite subject.

It's my understanding that UW is a very laid-back school in general...well, except on football game days, but that's a different ball of wax. Anyway, knowing this, I would suggest that you keep your Recruitment clothes very simple, plain skirts or slacks, solid color blouses, etc. Pref party will definitely be your most formal, you will want a nice dress and heels, etc., for that. Did you get a rush booklet? If you did, do they have an outline of the parties in there? That should give you some idea as to what to wear.

I suggested simple clothes because you can always dress them up with jewelry and shoes, yet you won't look overdressed if you keep things simple. You shouldn't need any more dresses than there are rounds of Recruitment. Most importantly, wear what's comfortable. And break in your shoes.

Again, what I said when I crashed the Chi-O thread (well, the KKG one hadn't started yet ), go where you fit in best. All of us here will be happy for you if you go to a chapter you love, no matter what GLO it is...okay, so we're all a little prejudiced toward Kappa here, but in the end it is YOUR decision and we only want you to be happy. Don't worry about what other schools are like, the only important one is the one you're at. Keep an open mind and listen to that "ring," that's all we ask of you.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't receive a rush booklet or any information on recruitment, even though I requested it at registration and orientation. But thanks for the advice on clothes!

From the advice I've gotten, I'm definitely going to go into rush with an open mind. I'm just glad that I can talk with sisters like you who are already in the sorority (but at different chapters), so I can get a little bit of an idea of the people and the recruitment process. I'll make sure to keep you updated on it though!

Oh, I e-mailed a few of the different sorority contacts on campus and even though they weren't updated, the girls who responded so far said that if I didn't have recommendation letters, it wouldn't be held against me probably because there are a lot of girls who know nothing about the greek system!
Old 09-03-2002, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EmorySarah
Hi!

So I'm finally at Emory, and it's awesome! I've met some of the Kappas, and they are all so sweet. Emory has deferred recruitment, and Greek life is kind of different. The sororities don't have houses, and I haven't really heard much about Rush yet. I've been reading SO many posts about what to wear...I know it's early, but I'm so nervous!

Anyway, I was just wondering what to expect. I'm so nervous, but I wanted to let you guys know that there are some AWESOME Kappas at Emory! (I think their GPA last semester was something like 3.7 )
Old 09-06-2002, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Sarah:

Thanks for the update...and so glad to hear that you've met some nice Kappas at Emory!

Best of luck to you during Emory's recruitment process...KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS! And don't hesitate to let us know if there are any questions we can help answer!

Panhellenically,
imsohappythatiama