GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,048
1 members and 1,047 guests
No Members online

Old 09-05-2012, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

A Hunger Games Recruitment!

Hey everyone! I’ve been posting here on GC for the last month or two leading up to recruitment, and finally it’s (almost) here! I’m going to try to keep my school’s identity a secret, so if you guess where I go please message me instead of writing it here ☺. I go to a pretty big school where Greek Life is decent sized and there are 8 (?) NPC sororities. Anyway, no one in my immediate family was involved in Greek Life, but a good deal of my friends have recently gone through recruitment in the south so I am getting pretty excited! Though at my school it is not required, I had recs to two of the houses. Recruitment begins this weekend, with bid day on Friday the 14th. I know a live recruitment isn’t a good idea, so I was thinking I would post two days behind! (As in I will post about day 1 when it is day 3 and so on) Plus, I’m so excited about recruitment I wanted to share already Tomorrow is my orientation, and then only a few more days to go!
A week before recruitment begins, we had an optional pre-recruitment event for people to go to booths for the different sororities/fraternities, talk to members, and see if Greek Life was something they would be interested in. Though all of my friends only went to the booths for their ‘favorite’ sororities but I made sure to go to each booth.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention my theme! In another thread I saw someone mention they were surprised there wasn’t a Hunger Game’s recruitment thread yet. So here ya go! The sororities names (in no particular order) are: Katniss, Peeta, Gale, Haymitch, Primrose, Rue, President Snow, Finnick, and President Coin. So here are my thoughts!

Rue- These girls were the first table I went to that were extremely outgoing and friendly. One girl I spoke to had a personal connection to their local philanthropy, and when she spoke about it, it was very heartwarming. I also have multiple connections to their national philanthropy.
Gale- These girls were nice, but honestly all I really remember about them is that they are the sweethearts of the frat my boyfriend is rushing. I didn’t want this to impact me during recruitment, however, so I can say I pretty much have no opinion on them.
Katniss- These girls all had probably 2-3 inches on me (and I’m 5’7!) and looked more like models then college students. However, the recruitment chair is one of my friend’s girlfriends, so this made me feel more comfortable. The other girl at their table was possibly the nicest, funniest person I met all day. However, she said something that kind of turned me off. She asked which sorority I liked that best and would like to join. I’m pretty sure that’s one of the number 1 things you aren’t supposed to ask! Either way, I still really liked these girls.
Haymitch- The sister I spoke to was so friendly and obviously very into their philanthropy! A girl I went to school with is in this sorority, and not to be blunt, but I just really don’t like her. When I mentioned to the girl I was speaking to (who was an officer) that I went to high school with this girl, she didn’t know whom I was talking about. The chapters at our school have about 60-80 girls so I was a little bit surprised.
President Snow- Again, don’t really remember a lot. 2 of their sisters have been constantly texting my roommate, trying to get her to rush them, while completely ignoring me. My roommate, by the way, has made it very clear that she isn’t interested in Greek Life whatsoever. President Snow, Haymitch, and Rue seem to be a lot of girls favorites going in.
Peeta- One of my friends from back home is in this sorority. I was expecting to love them, but when she introduced me to their President, she kind of blew me (and every other girl she spoke to) off. However, later on I ended up talking to 4 of the sisters at one time and it felt very natural. This is one of the houses I have a rec to.
Primrose- I remember these girls were extremely nice and friendly, but nothing really stuck out. They seemed very involved in their philanthropy, which I really liked.
Finnick- By far, this house had the largest and most informative display. The girl I spoke to was really nice, but something odd happened while we were talking. One of the sisters, who was standing nearby, pointed at me while I was talking to the other girl. When she pointed, the sister she was standing with and the boy she was talking to both turned around and looked at me. I was wearing large sunglasses, so I’m assuming they didn’t know I saw them. My other rec letter is to this house, so that may have been the reason for her pointing, but something about it felt really rude. Whether or not this was positive, it made me feel extremely uncomfortable, to the point that I completely stopped in the middle of my sentence.
President Coin- I know this makes 9 sororities, but I’m a little bit confused about this sisterhood, as they are not listed on my schools Panhellenic page and I’m pretty sure there are no sororities colonizing. Anyway, there were only about 4 girls from their sorority here, and they only had one half of a display board. However, they did have cookies with their letters, which I thought was sweet and showed a lot of effort. Unfortunately, they were placed right next to the DJ so it was impossible to hear them. I didn’t really see anyone else come up to them while I was there, and I felt really bad. These all seemed like great girls, if a little unsure of themselves.

So that’s it for my super long intro post! I promise the next one will be about 1/4 this size. I’ll post more tomorrow after orientation ☺
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Another recruitment that's totally drawing me out of my habit of lurking, not commenting...............

YES! FINALLY! HUNGER GAMES!

I will be rooting for Finnick because he is by far the best character, Katniss be damned. Also I'm going to assume you've read all the books based on your codenames but SPOILERALERT for everyone who hasn't (stop reading now...), but he's only the second character I've ever cried for in a book. I think I had to put the book down when he died because I couldn't read anymore through the tears. I can't wait for the movies and to see how they handle him and everything!!

Good luck and I will definitely be reading!

for hope, for strength, for life

Last edited by happilyanchored; 09-05-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay! Finally someone picked up this theme! I'm rooting for Peeta and Rue!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks guys!! And yes, happilyanchored, I have read all the books and I can definitely agree with crying over Finnick!!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happilyanchored View Post
Another recruitment that's totally drawing me out of my habit of lurking, not commenting...............

YES! FINALLY! HUNGER GAMES!

I will be rooting for Finnick because he is by far the best character, Katniss be damned. Also I'm going to assume you've read all the books based on your username but SPOILERALERT for everyone who hasn't (stop reading now...), but he's only the second character I've ever cried for in a book. I think I had to put the book down when he died because I couldn't read anymore through the tears. I can't wait for the movies and to see how they handle him and everything!!

Good luck and I will definitely be reading!
Can someone do a My Little Pony theme next?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

HUNGER GAAAAAMES!!!

Go Haymitch!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Team Peeta forever
Old 09-05-2012, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Woo, Hunger Games theme! I'm going to root for Finnick! And maybe also Haymitch. I hope Finnick doesn't turn out to be too weird. After all, his first impression in the books is really weird and he turns out to be awesome! Can't wait to hear the rest!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:32 PM

Go Rue!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Awww my recruitment story was going to be Hunger Games hehehe. Guess you beat me to it. I'm team Peeta!
Old 09-06-2012, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah! Good luck and I'm looking forward to hearing all about your recruitment!
Old 09-06-2012, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TPARose
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinHope View Post
Woo, Hunger Games theme! I'm going to root for Finnick! And maybe also Haymitch. I hope Finnick doesn't turn out to be too weird. After all, his first impression in the books is really weird and he turns out to be awesome! Can't wait to hear the rest!
It's been a while since I've read the books, but I think the first impression I got from him was more "pervy jerk" than weird, but overall, I agree with your assessment.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah HUNGER GAMES!!!!!

Team Peeta baby!!!!!!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-06-2012, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Totally team Peeta!!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Team Peeta!