GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,684
2 members and 1,682 guests
flamboyanttree, gatordeltapgh

Old 12-13-2017, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

help

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my current predicament. I am currently a sophomore at my university. At my university we have deferred recruitment and I am thinking of going through recruitment. However, I also want to apply to a program for a specific major at another university that is more geared to my future career goals. If I got into this university I would be entering in Fall 2018. If I do manage to get into this other program, would I be able to affiliate with the same NPC organization at my new university? (assuming they have whatever chapter, if they don't I am aware I am never allowed to join another.) Another thing is that I have a few friends that go to the university with the program that I want to transfer to and they say that you have to live the chapter house at that university. How would this work for a junior?? I know there is a lot of uncertainty here, and there may even be a chance I stay at my current school if I have a change of heart. Is it looked down upon to have only been an active member for a semester before transferring? Thank you.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

I can tell you that affiliation isn't guaranteed. The may take you, they may not.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I can tell you that affiliation isn't guaranteed. The may take you, they may not.
This.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

May I offer this? Some NPC sororities require that the affiliating chapter vote on a transferring member. Others do not. In other words, it isn't true for all 26 NPC member sororities that you will automatically be affiliated, nor will you have to undergo a second membership vote to be affiliated (as it was).

With that knowledge, and assuming that you have (a) joined a sorority at your current university and (b) decided to transfer to another university where there is a chapter of your not yet joined sorority, please consider your interest to affiliate very carefully. You may have nothing in common with the members at your new campus. Despite what national headquarters may profess or claim or espouse, we are not all alike. There's quite a difference in chapter members within the same city (for example, in large metro areas such as Los Angeles where there are multiple colleges/universities with Greek systems). You may discover, after you've affiliated, that you are not happy or do not fit in well with the active members. And you will have the responsibilities of paying dues, fees,attending mandatory meetings, etc., for the duration of your college years. That's not a good scenario.

I have seen it work both ways. Affiliated members have fit in and been successfully integrated into a chapter. Others have not. Still others have experienced financial hardship resulting in resignation altogether, which is a shame.

As to the rest of your post, there are way too many hypothetical "what if" questions to which there are no definitive answers. So, let me suggest that you focus primarily on your major and your education in selecting a university to pursue your degree. Let the rest fall into place. I couldn't begin to answer the rest of your questions without knowing specific details and I don't have any desire or interest to know so much personal information about a stranger!

Good luck to you.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

There are so many variables here that an answer isn't possible. It sounds like you've thought of all the different possibilities. Here are a few pieces of information and other things to consider:

1. Each sorority's affiliation process is different -- some take a chapter vote, some may automatically affiliate you, some may have a chapter specific tradition of not affilitating transfers, etc. For those who take a vote, they may want to get to know you before they vote -- like for a few weeks or a semester. If you rush now, DON'T ask each chapter about their affiliation process -- it would be a major deterrent to let chapters know you may be leaving right after you join.

2. I transferred and affiliated, and I made arrangements to live in the house when I transferred, but I don't think that's typical. The houses at the transfer school would probably already be filled with current members before you arrive. But you may have to move in the following year.

3. Are juniors successful in rushing at your potential transfer school, or is advanced class standing a strong disadvantage?

4. If there's a chance you may stay, I'd rush now. If you receive a bid and you definitely know you're transferring, then you can explore affiliation processes for your specific group if they have a chapter at the new school, or perhaps drop before initiation if they don't. Or, initiate and become an alumna member when you transfer.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:00 PM

When will you know if you get into the program at the other university?

Also, is there a reason you didn't rush the second semester of your freshman year?

Last edited by 33girl; 12-14-2017 at 03:05 PM.