GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,263
2 members and 2,261 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17

Old 03-02-2008, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Rushing as a senior?

Right now I'm a junior, graduating May 2009. I was in a local sorority since my sophomore year, but it's completely fallen apart twice now, and there are currently less than 5 of us, we haven't had a meeting and I haven't even seen any of the others since December, and I'm going to formally resign whenever all of us happen to be at the same place.

In the fall, I really would like to try to join a bigger sorority that actually does things and such, but I wonder if any would even really think about taking me since I'll be graduating at the end of the next semester? I tried searching old posts in the forum and found mixed answers, so yeah. Also, should I explain what happened with the sorority I was in? I get a feeling that may be a disadvantage, but I wouldn't want to potentially lie.

I'm not sure if I want to do it because I don't know if I'll have the time for it until next semester, but I don't want to go to rush events if it'll be futile from the beginning.

[edit]

If it's worth anything, Greek life isn't that popular on my campus, though there are a fair amount of organizations. There doesn't seem to be very many people interested in rushing each semester. It also is pretty much the norm for sophomores and juniors to go out, but not too sure about seniors.

Last edited by viStar; 03-02-2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: more info
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-02-2008, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

It depends so much on you campus and its culture that it would be really hard to say with any accuracy.

My guess is that getting a bid as a senior is pretty rare, even without the possibility that your experience with the local will negatively affect things. (And I don't know that it would, but I don't know what to tell you about what to say.)
Old 03-02-2008, 10:57 PM

It really depends on the school you go to. There are some schools where a senior who is going to be around for a while has the same chance to get a bid as anyone else. Then there are others where it is unheard of. It just depends.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd say it'll hurt your chances regardless of the school, but it definitely depends on where you go as to whether or not it's not going to happen. I'd go out for it anyway. What'll it hurt?
Old 03-02-2008, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΑΓΔSquirrelGirl View Post
I'd say it'll hurt your chances regardless of the school, but it definitely depends on where you go as to whether or not it's not going to happen. I'd go out for it anyway. What'll it hurt?
This is a really good point. As long as it won't destroy your feelings, OP, you can't really lose going through recruitment. If you don't get a bid, you are no worse off than if you didn't go through recruitment, really. On the other hand, if you find out that a group is interested and you are too, then great!
Old 03-03-2008, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Your chances of getting in are probably lowered due to the fact that you'll only be in for a year [usually GLOs like to look for qualified women who are going to be contributing to their chapter for longer than just a year] but I've seen it happen...it just depends on your school and the GLO that you're trying to get in to. My grandbig was in it for only a year...she pledged spring '07 and she's graduating this spring =[
Old 03-03-2008, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm with the consensus and believe that it all depends on your college. i was in a similar situation this past year before i went through recruitment (senior who left a falling apart independent GLO.) my college has a smaller greek system with only two NPC sororities. the recruitment process was interesting and enjoyable even though i was the only senior. i received my bid but am sad that i'll be going alum later this year due to graduation. all in all, it is worth the experience. age makes a difference but mainly because the GLO wants girls who can invest more than one year into the organization. no matter what you should still at least go through recruitment. who knows, you might be in for a wonderful surprise!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's worth a shot as long as you understand a few things:

1) Depending on the campus climate, you may not get a bid
2) You need to be able to manage your time very wisely. My entire last year was hard for me because I was taking the harder classes, trying to keep my GPA up there so I could graduate with a decent GPA, working and had sorority things.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with all of the comments above. Also something to check into is if your campus is seeking NPC expansion. Sororities starting a new chapter often look for the stability and experience of senior girls.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I am going to be a sophmore at UGA this upcoming year, and have been debating whether or not to rush. I know that UGA sororities are tough to get into, but I was wondering if it would be recommended that I rush in the fall or in the spring, and what do my chances of getting a bid looke like?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs! View Post
I am going to be a sophmore at UGA this upcoming year, and have been debating whether or not to rush. I know that UGA sororities are tough to get into, but I was wondering if it would be recommended that I rush in the fall or in the spring, and what do my chances of getting a bid looke like?
If you start your own thread or search, I think you'll see that there are better ways to get answers to this question. Personally, I can't ever get good on-topic search results, but if you start a thread links to similar threads will be listed at the bottom of your page.

Only a few of the groups participate in spring rush, so you probably need to focus on going through in the fall.

It's harder to get a bid as a sophomore, but girls do every year. Not all groups are really open to sophomores but a good number are, and if you are otherwise a good candidate for greek life, your sophomore class standing won't count you out.

It's hard to know what your chances are, especially without knowing you personally and knowing about your GPA and campus involvement.

I wish you good luck and I hope you have a successful experience.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:27 AM

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...hlight=georgia

Lakers Nation.