GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,045
1 members and 1,044 guests
Sarak24034

Old 08-30-2009, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by court4short View Post
I had thought so, but I guess my school wanted us to include it. It was a seperate form that said "Legacy Status", and Aunt was included on the drop down list. I don't think it really matters, my school isn't really competitive to my knowledge. I was just curious.
Ya, most university panhellenic offices will include that for the GLOs who do consider nieces to be legacies. When I log onto the recruitment system, it'll give our chapter a list of "legacies" in a separate section, but many of these women have an aunt who is a Gamma Phi, so they aren't really legacies.

It's a good thing to know for all chapters, and it makes sense to be more inclusive rather than less, but I think it misleads PNMs sometimes.

Good luck in recruitment!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

There was (maybe still is ?? ) a small national sorority "Sigma Iota CHi." Founded in Louisiana in 1903, it was mainly in private junior colleges for women -- schools not recognized by NPC or by the Ass'n of Education Sororities. It was never particularly large. Some of the schools where it was located banned sororities, or eventually became 4 year schools, or went out of existence.

I know SIX existed into at least the early 1960s, and possibly longer than that.

Every so often an SIX badge shows up on eBay, just as pins from NPC, NPHC and NIC groups do.

I don't know whether SIX ever had a chapter at Widener or at one of the schools that joined together to form what is now Widener.

Some of the older editions of Baird's Manual have short mentions of SIX.

All this isn't a lot of help, but it is a lead to a possibility that your aunt's sorority was part of that national sorority, or possibly a "local' that had been part of national SIX at one time -- just guessing, could be wrong.

Good luck.

Last edited by exlurker; 08-31-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Court4short, I went through a similar process with my paternal grandmother. I knew she belonged to a sorority but no one in my family could remember the name. I used the Alumni Services at her school to gain access to old yearbooks where I learned the name of her local sorority. Not much help on the recruitment application, but it was really cool to learn more about such an amazing woman.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I have the Bairds 1949 directory. I didn't find anything in that edition about Sigma Iota Chi.

P.S. For others.. this edition is cool, because it lists what each Fraternity/Sorority did for the WW2 effort. I've never heard about what Pi Phi did.. so it was cool to read about it in this book.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the responses guys - you rock! I'm thinking you're right, exlurker. Oh well, I'll just have to wait til Saturday when I see here...doesn't hurt to ask!

"If you find the girls that love the you, you love..well then that's just fAbulΦus."
Old 01-02-2010, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Currently ( that is, for the first several days in January 2010, give or take), a Sigma Iota Chi badge happens to be pictured in an eBay auction:

Item number: 290387094838

Yes, I am not the seller, nor am I associated with the seller. Just posting for information 'cause I'm dedicated to the spread of knowledge among GCers.
Umm-hmm.
Happy new year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
There was (maybe still is ?? ) a small national sorority "Sigma Iota CHi." Founded in Louisiana in 1903, it was mainly in private junior colleges for women -- schools not recognized by NPC or by the Ass'n of Education Sororities. It was never particularly large. Some of the schools where it was located banned sororities, or eventually became 4 year schools, or went out of existence.

I know SIX existed into at least the early 1960s, and possibly longer than that.

Every so often an SIX badge shows up on eBay, just as pins from NPC, NPHC and NIC groups do.

I don't know whether SIX ever had a chapter at Widener or at one of the schools that joined together to form what is now Widener.

Some of the older editions of Baird's Manual have short mentions of SIX.

All this isn't a lot of help, but it is a lead to a possibility that your aunt's sorority was part of that national sorority, or possibly a "local' that had been part of national SIX at one time -- just guessing, could be wrong.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

very cool badge!
Old 01-02-2010, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Also (because I was curious and searched ebay for the term "sigma iota chi") I came up with this:

Item number: 230407414225
The Parchment-- 1947 Sigma Iota Chi College sorority book

It ships from York, PA, if that helps at all. I think it's probably their publication or something. It's 10 bucks plus shipping if you're interested.

Also I just found from googling "sigma iota chi" plus Widener that there were several women who listed SIX as a college activity, and from what I found it must have been in existence between the dates of 1977-1986. Also it was listed that at that time some of the women attended "Brandywine College of Widener University", which apparently was a college that was absorbed by Widener in 1976. I also found through a public facebook group that there were women in SIX up until the year 1988, all who hailed from Brandywine College. From what I can piece together it was a local GLO that must have disbanded some time after that. However you could probably also email the head of Greek life at Widener (contact info can be found here) for more information and history about Widener GLO's.

Last edited by psusue; 01-02-2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: To add information.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Currently ( that is, for the first several days in January 2010, give or take), a Sigma Iota Chi badge happens to be pictured in an eBay auction:

Item number: 290387094838

Yes, I am not the seller, nor am I associated with the seller. Just posting for information 'cause I'm dedicated to the spread of knowledge among GCers.
Umm-hmm.
Happy new year.
That badge looks beautiful!

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928
Old 01-09-2010, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by court4short View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys - you rock! I'm thinking you're right, exlurker. Oh well, I'll just have to wait til Saturday when I see here...doesn't hurt to ask!
did you ever find out?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a sister of Alpha Xi Delta Epsilon Lambda. Before I became a member, we needed to know about Sigma Iota Chi because they were colonized by Axid, since they were a local chapter.

PS. 33girl thanks for helping me out on here hehe =]

Last edited by farbie86; 01-09-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbie86 View Post
I'm a sister of A Xi D and we needed to know Sigma Iota Chi because they changed their name to A XI D at Rider U
You mean there was a local called Sigma Iota Chi and they were then colonized by A Xi D. I know you're new and probably don't know all the terminology, but saying they "changed their name" kinda makes it sound like they're perping or don't have authority from the national organization. I didn't want anyone to read the post and misunderstand.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I wrote that to fast sorry. But yes you are correct! I am new to this chat but not new to Axid

But thank you for correcting it for me =0]
Old 01-09-2010, 08:41 PM

No prob. Go Eagles!!!! (normally I wouldn't say that but against the smelly Cowboys I will)
Old 01-09-2010, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

From Baird's 1920
"Sigma Iota Chi-- This sorority was organized in 1903 at Alexandria, Louisiana. It is one of the Junior grade. The active chapters are Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, Lindenwood College, Stephens College (Columbia Mo), Hardin College, Belhaven College (Jackson Miss), St Katharines (Bolivar Tenn) Grenada College (Grenada Miss), Central College (Lexington Mo), Colorado Woman's College, Greenville Woman's College (Greenville NC), The inactive chapters are Winchester College (Tenn), Ward's Seminary, Hannah Moore Academy, Belmont College (Nashville), National Cathedral Academy, Potter College, Virginia College (Roanoke Va), Campbell-Hageman College (Ky), Gunston Hall Crescent College (Ark), Brenau College, Shorter College Ward- Belmont College. There are ten active chapters and the membership is 856."

More info from Baird's 1912:
"A journal called the Parchment is issued three times a year. The badge is a shield displaying the skull and bones and a scroll on which are the letters S I X. The flower is the violet the jewel is the amethyst and the colors are purple and gold.

"This sorority was organized in 1903 at Alexandria, Louisiana by the alumnae of two academies viz St. James and St. Xaviers. This chapter has always been composed entirely of alumnae. An undergraduate chapter was placed in 1904 at Winchester College Tennessee and since then only undergraduate chapters have established. "