GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,467
0 members and 1,467 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
I just don't see a disagreement here -- no one said that a colonizing chapter takes any upperclassman. Opportunities for upperclassmen were more abundant during a colonization than in FR with existing chapters at Bama, and I imagine on other SEC campuses as well.
Lane-swerving, but:

You and most others posting here, as women experienced with how NPC recruitment and colonization work, understand that. But the student in college who wants to be Greek and who isn't nearly as familiar with how NPC recruitment and colonization work may not understand that, and may read much more than intended into a statement like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdee View Post
Does anyone know if there are any sororities colonizing at Alabama this year? That is often an excellent way for nonfreshmen to find a home.
Hence the hyperbolic responses to that statement from some who have seen that from PNMs on GreekChat all too often.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, okay, okay, let me rephrase the statement for the benefit of any PNMs reading this:

A colonizing chapter may be another path to a sorority home for both freshmen and upperclassmen. Because colonizing chapters do often look for a mix of both, this might be a good opportunity for an upperclassman. At schools like Bama, though, the competition for colonizing chapters is usually competitive and there are no guarantees that you will be extended an invitation to become a member. And yes, in the SEC, it is advised to get recs for those colonizing chapters.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Your numbers are off.
How/where are my numbers off?

How do you interpret the numbers? What happened to the 62 girls pledged but no longer included in the membership total -- within a year? My take is that many graduated (hence they were upper-upperclassmen when joining during the colonization).

Quote:
The question wasn't how many total were pledged. The issue is how many upperclassmen were pledged - and are generally pledged - in a colonization.
That was the point of my extrapolating, so to speak, using the data that is available.

Since you were involved in a recolonization, wouldn't you have some idea of these numbers? Or at least a general idea of class proportions desired in a colonization pledge class?

Quote:
You are trying to extrapolate something for which you do not have enough information.
That is kinda the point of extrapolating.

Extrapolate

a: to project, extend, or expand (known data or experience) into an area not known or experienced so as to arrive at a usually conjectural knowledge of the unknown area

Quote:
Once again, do you know the class breakdowns?
No, do you? I was extrapolating from the numbers available in the reports I linked. Neither of the more recently colonized chapters at Bama are mine.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

You are the one who said "I know the last two colonizations at Alabama have been great opportunities for upperclassmen."

I said that 1) if I had the information I would post it and 2) that I am not/was not involved on the recruitment side.

Hence the question to you - do you have the upperclass numbers breakdown. Obviously you don't. Why is that so hard to say?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
What happened to the 62 girls pledged but no longer included in the membership total -- within a year? My take is that many graduated (hence they were upper-upperclassmen when joining during the colonization).
One figure was how many were originally issued bids, not how many accepted them. A few decline, a few just don't show up, a few get through some of the NM period and decide it's not for them.

Then some transfer, flunk out, drop out, get married. And a few graduate.
You'd really need all the numbers to come up with a accurate picture, and that's private info. But feel free to extrapolate all you want from the published figures.

One way or another, there will be no colonizations at the University of Alabama this year. Maybe next year, but not this year.

Personally, I think that once the three sorority houses are vacated by the groups moving into new houses, a new group might be interested. The cost would be much less than building.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
One figure was how many were originally issued bids, not how many accepted them. A few decline, a few just don't show up, a few get through some of the NM period and decide it's not for them.
No, it wasn't -- the figures I used to arrive at 62 girls came from the actual totals on the semester-end grade reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Personally, I think that once the three sorority houses are vacated by the groups moving into new houses, a new group might be interested. The cost would be much less than building.
I hope so -- but I don't think all the houses will be vacant. I understand that some of the chapters may be renovating their existing houses -- I heard that the Chi Os will be moving into one of the vacated houses while renovating their house, for instance.

Last edited by Hartofsec; 02-14-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I understand, Gamma Phi Beta is going to take one of the next new lots. ZTA will expand on the Gamma Phi side and AXO will expand on the DDD lot. That leaves the ADPi and AGD houses - both of which are great lots.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You are the one who said "I know the last two colonizations at Alabama have been great opportunities for upperclassmen."

I said that 1) if I had the information I would post it and 2) that I am not/was not involved on the recruitment side.

Hence the question to you - do you have the upperclass numbers breakdown. Obviously you don't. Why is that so hard to say?
lol, I said it. I also said I was extrapolating from the numbers on the reports I linked. You said that my numbers were off, but you are not able to point out how or where my numbers are off. Check the reports I linked earlier.

What exactly are you disagreeing with? That colonization is a great opportunity for upperclassmen? That colonizing chapters take more upperclassmen than existing chapters in FR?

I was originally responding to 33girl's misinformation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
And the last time one did colonize, colonization was probably 3x harder than normal rush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Those upperclassmen selected were probably also head and shoulders above the average Bama female student and vetted back and forth and upside down. Greekdee's post didn't really convey that.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

You inidcated that colonization was a great opportunity for upperclassmen at Alabama. I asked if you had stats to back that up. It's that simple. The possible answers are 1) no or 2) yes I do and here they are.

I don't see what all the rest of this has been about. As I said, if I had them I would have posted them.

I don't know how to make this any plainer. End of story.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You inidcated that colonization was a great opportunity for upperclassmen at Alabama.
Yes, I did. And yes, it is. It really is that simple.

Quote:
I asked if you had stats to back that up. It's that simple. The possible answers are 1) no or 2) yes I do and here they are.
I don't think your calling out my posts is really motivated by your data-driven concern over stats. You didn't even look at the numbers that I did link.

Quote:
I don't know how to make this any plainer. End of story.
Neither do I. Sorry I couldn't help you understand the math.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

You guys are making my head hurt. Please stop.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Lane-swerving, but:

You and most others posting here, as women experienced with how NPC recruitment and colonization work, understand that. But the student in college who wants to be Greek and who isn't nearly as familiar with how NPC recruitment and colonization work may not understand that, and may read much more than intended into a statement like this:
Hence the hyperbolic responses to that statement from some who have seen that from PNMs on GreekChat all too often.

Then for informational purposes -- PNMs considering participating in a colonization -- some (snark- and vulgarity-free) information:

Quote:
Colonization and PNMs...is it for you?

Yesterday I spent some time describing generally how the colonization process works. There are quite a few campuses across the US that have sororities colonizing on them this fall. So how do you know as a PNM is colonizing a sorority is right for you? Let’s look at colonization from a PNM’s view-point.

First of all, when a sorority colonizes it actually builds an entire sorority…what I mean is that there will be all 4 classes of girls represented, freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors. Let’s talk about the upper classmen first, specifically juniors and seniors. Colonization is an idea for those upper classmen women on campus who wanted to join a sorority but for a number of reasons they didn’t. The reasons range from as freshmen they were intimidated by the process (finding recs for each house, LORS), finances (sorority life can be expensive especially for a girl who is paying her own way), or they just didn’t see how sorority life would fit with their college schedule. Many of the young women I have talked to who have gone through the colonization process as juniors and seniors told me they felt that something was “missing” in their college experience and after colonizing their sorority that void was filled. It’s easy to say “why do this when you only have one or two years of sorority life on campus?” The answer is easy..”Because it’s a sisterhood for a lifetime..not just the years you are in college.” A friend who was a senior and colonized on her campus is now working in her sorority’s national office. It is a misconception that these women will be the “leaders” of the new sorority. While age, maturity and life experiences will certainly give them an edge over the younger girls, colonization is a “it takes a village” sort of experience.

Continues at link
and

Quote:
Sororities and Colonization...a tutorial

I was part of an interesting discussion yesterday….several parents were debating whether sorority and fraternity membership was on the upswing. This conversation came in light of a recent article stating that The University of Alabama had the surpassed the The University of Illinois as the largest greek population in the US.

Here is a link to the blog article for those that are interested, NEW #1, ALABAMA TAKES OVER AS NATION?S LARGEST GREEK COMMUNITY » Phired Up Recruitment Blog.

The subject of colonization came up. Colonization is near and dear to my heart these days since my sorority, Alpha Phi, was just approved (and accepted) to colonize at LSU for the Fall of 2013. In the past 4 years Alpha Phi has colonized on the campuses of Kentucky, FSU, Clemson and Alabama. I am excited to seeing their growing presence on campuses across the US.

[...]

A Joint Information Session will then follow on August 22nd. Usually during the marketing phase sign ups are held to attend this session. In some cases sign ups are not required and PNm’s just choose to attend. In Alabama’s case there were two separate info sessions and a PNM could simply choose which one to attend. During the info session information will be shared about how the colonization process works, how much membership in each sorority costs, housing and meal plans…lot and lots of info!!

There are 2 one hour parties planned on this day as well. Usually during this time a series of “interviews” takes place, sometimes concurrently with the parties. In the case of Delta Gamma at Alabama PNMs were asked to sign up for a particular time slot on one of 4 days. The interviews lasted approximately 15 minutes. Think of these interviews as a mini recruitment conversation of sorts. The PNM will be asked the same type of questions that she would be asked during recruitment….why are you going through colonization, what can you bring to this sorority…..tell us about yourself ect.

After the interview and party process then the PNM’s are asked to asked to rank their personal choices on September 7th. Bid matching will occur and a Bid List will be constructed with Bids being issued on September 9th. Bid Day activities will be planned for PNMs for both houses…jerseys given out as they are welcomed into their new sisiterhoods.

Continues at link

Last edited by Hartofsec; 02-14-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

did you do all that on your iPad mini?

did you use Google? The doodle today is pretty cool.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 02-14-2013, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I hope that you will register tonight for the Bama Panhellenic preview coming up in a few weeks. Here is a link for you:

http://www.uapanhellenic.com/index.p...d=57&Itemid=42

Of possible interest:

Quote:
More Questions and Alabama Preview

For those of you attending the University of Alabama’s Panhellenic Preview Weekend next Saturday I wanted to pass onto you that just as the brochure states…dress is casual. In fact, the sororities are all wearing jeans. So ladies if you want to wear jeans and a really cute top go right ahead. I will tell you that I think that you will also see girls in skirts and tops and maybe even a few dresses.

Okay so if you are heading to Preview this next weekend what kinds of questions can you ask the sorority members you are talking with? Here’s a few questions as well as some good points to make.

Continues at link
Old 02-15-2013, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You inidcated that colonization was a great opportunity for upperclassmen at Alabama. I asked if you had stats to back that up. It's that simple. The possible answers are 1) no or 2) yes I do and here they are.

Actually, you said that juniors and seniors would pretty easily find a place in a colonizing chapter. That is quite a bit stronger than my indicating that colonization is a great opportunity for upperclassmen.

Quote:
Keep in mind that both groups will want members from all classes so seniors and juniors who might otherwise not even go out for recruitment would find a place pretty easily with one of the new ones.
Got stats for that?

Quote:
I was addressing the fact that at Arkansas - as at Alabama - juniors and seniors who pretty much otherwise wouldn't have much of a chance would have much better odds in this scenario. If upperclass quota is say 5, you know with a colonization there will be far more total upperclassmen taken than that....as many more would be signing up than usual.
Got stats?

Sounds like colonization is a great opportunity for upperclassmen, to say the very least, as per you. You knew all 'bout it last June -- what happened?

Last edited by Hartofsec; 02-15-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Closed Thread