GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,320
2 members and 1,318 guests
asamathattso539, bapitytts7552

Old 08-10-2007, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

What campus gets the award for the most chapters pledging quota?

Just curious if anyone knows! I'm pretty sure that Ole Miss gets the award for the largest quota at 90.

I believe last year University of Southern Calif had all 9 chapters pledging quota of about 60, and SDSU all 7 pledging quota of 68ish. I'll take a stab that Cal State Long Beach may also have had all 7 pledging quota of 43 or so?

(my numbers may not be entirely accurate. feel free to correct me if you know more!)

Love to see College Panhellenics get recognized for truly outstanding recruitment efforts!
Old 08-10-2007, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I know in Fall 2006, NC State had 5 chapters match to quota, while the other two CRed to quota. Their success and continued interest is probably why they have added DG in 2002, Pi Phi in 2004, are adding Tri Delta this fall, and will possibly add KD in the next few years depending on the continued success of the Panhellenic chapters.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Violet,
According to the campus newspaper chapter quota was 56. All made quota. Some chapters had quota additions. The highest number made was 62. This year there will be 10 chapters who will participate in recruitment at Southern California.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:55 PM

All 6 NPC pledged quota (17) at my school (Kent State) last fall with 2 even getting quota additions.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-10-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:06 PM

All sororities at Kansas and Kansas State made quota this past fall.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 08-10-2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: corrected info about University of Florida
Old 08-10-2007, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you LaneSig!

So, according to Irishpipes that is Kansas St with 11 pledging q=42
and the current leader, Univ of Kansas with 13 pledging q=44

Great work Kansas NPC ladies!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Last year UA had 13 chapters meet/exceed quota (75). Only two chapters did not meet quota.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejazd View Post
Just curious if anyone knows! I'm pretty sure that Ole Miss gets the award for the largest quota at 90.

I believe last year University of Southern Calif had all 9 chapters pledging quota of about 60, and SDSU all 7 pledging quota of 68ish. I'll take a stab that Cal State Long Beach may also have had all 7 pledging quota of 43 or so?

(my numbers may not be entirely accurate. feel free to correct me if you know more!)

Love to see College Panhellenics get recognized for truly outstanding recruitment efforts!
SDSU had 9 chapter last year. They did not all make quota.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

thank you So Cal Girl. sorry Aztecs you get downgraded to honorable mention. according to my source one is reorganizing and another may not have fully participated? that may be totally incorrect but kindly pardon my error.

see disclaimer above... my only source is jabbering with some of the students I know that attend those schools!
Old 08-11-2007, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Can someone explain what quota is in relationship to a fraternity or sorority?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
SDSU had 9 chapter last year. They did not all make quota.
Well, it's confusing. We had 9 NPCs and one affiliated local. One NPC closed bringing it to 8 NPC, 1 local. Then, the local got chartered as an NPC - 9 NPCs. Then, shortly after, another NPC closed. Back to 8 NPCs. So, it's been between 8-10 depending on how you want to count the local.

Alpha Epsilon Phi (the local which went NPC) is the one which bajazd's friend probably said didn't "fully participate" (probably because they had only chartered a few months before hand). Because they advertise themselves as a culturally-based Jewish-interest sorority, they, their national, and the Greek Life Office are not at all worried about whether or not they get quota. I believe they are fully participating in formal recruitment next month. They are a great group of girls. Their Chapter Adviser is one of my colleagues and she just won Chapter Adviser of the Year last spring.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 08-11-2007, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Maman View Post
Can someone explain what quota is in relationship to a fraternity or sorority?
It is the number of new members that each chapter is allowed to take which is based on the number who are going through recruitment. Each campus decides how they are going to set quota. It used to be common to take the number of PNMs who signed up for recruitment and divide by the number of chapters. That didn't end up being very fair though because some of those women would drop out. Quota is generally set further down the process now and sometimes is based on how many signed bid cards. So, if there were a 200 PNMs who signed bid cards and 10 sororities, quota would be 10. Each chapter could take 20 PNMs.

However, there is another number, called Total, which complicates things. Total is a maximum chapter size, essentially, that is set by the College Panhellenic. If Total is 100 and a chapter reaches or exceeds that number when they take Quota, then they are done recruiting! However, if they are below Total, they can do Continuous Open Recruitment (COR) until they reach Total. Chapters can exceed Total by taking Quota, but then they can't take any more women.

The system is designed to try to keep the sororities about the same size with the philosophy that if all the chapters are strong, then the Panhellenic system is strong. If two chapters had 200 members, 5 had around 100 and the other 3 had 50 or so, things wouldn't be equitable. Despite these heroic attempts to keep chapters around the same size, some chapters still struggle with numbers though.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Okla State all made Quota

MegLan just reported that all of the sororities at Oklahoma State --11 -- just made quota (46). Bid Day was today (Saturday, Aug 11). Don't know who had quota additions, etc. so don't know the final numbers,.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
It is the number of new members that each chapter is allowed to take which is based on the number who are going through recruitment. Each campus decides how they are going to set quota. It used to be common to take the number of PNMs who signed up for recruitment and divide by the number of chapters. That didn't end up being very fair though because some of those women would drop out. Quota is generally set further down the process now and sometimes is based on how many signed bid cards. So, if there were a 200 PNMs who signed bid cards and 10 sororities, quota would be 10. Each chapter could take 20 PNMs.

However, there is another number, called Total, which complicates things. Total is a maximum chapter size, essentially, that is set by the College Panhellenic. If Total is 100 and a chapter reaches or exceeds that number when they take Quota, then they are done recruiting! However, if they are below Total, they can do Continuous Open Recruitment (COR) until they reach Total. Chapters can exceed Total by taking Quota, but then they can't take any more women.

The system is designed to try to keep the sororities about the same size with the philosophy that if all the chapters are strong, then the Panhellenic system is strong. If two chapters had 200 members, 5 had around 100 and the other 3 had 50 or so, things wouldn't be equitable. Despite these heroic attempts to keep chapters around the same size, some chapters still struggle with numbers though.
So...chapters can only exceed quota if they are under total...but, they can exceed total by pledging to quota?
Old 08-12-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minDyG View Post
So...chapters can only exceed quota if they are under total...but, they can exceed total by pledging to quota?
Yes!