GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,382
1 members and 1,381 guests
FSUZeta

Old 11-28-2009, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Tau Phi Beta "The Bulls"
Local Fraternity
ALPHA-1985 Southern Connecticut State University
BETA- 1987 William Paterson University of New Jersey
GAMMA- 1991 Montclair State University of New Jersey(only active chapter)
Colors- Black & Silver
Motto- "Fratres Pro Vitae" (Brothers For Life)
**Only local fraternity left at Montclair State and only social fraternity to pledge on line**
Old 12-25-2009, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Pi Phi is relatively new, and we're located in Ottawa Ontario at Carleton University. 3 of 6 founding mothers (including myself) split off from one of two international sororities after being discontented with how things were going. So far, it's been extremely successful, our first rush ending in 10 initiated girls for our Alpha class.

Alpha Pi Phi - also known as the Apple Pies on campus

Founding Date: February 23rd, 2009

Colours: Black and Royal Purple

Mascot: Black Swan

Flower: Calla Lilly

Jewel: Amethyst and Pearl

Philanthropy: Alzheimer's Society of Canada

Open Motto: Love, Loyalty, and Friendship

Αγάπη, Πίστη, Φιλία
http://www.alphapiphi.com/
Old 12-26-2009, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want to be nicknamed "the apple pies" on campus. I don't find that very flattering, classy, or appropriate.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:01 PM

The ASAs at one of our most successful chapters are referred to on campus as the Apples, and the house as the Apple House. I'm sure if it was something the campus found silly they wouldn't use it. Same here, different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want to be nicknamed "the apple pies" on campus. I don't find that very flattering, classy, or appropriate.

If you were found on our campus, you may think about it a bit differently. It's played up by us (ex. apple-pie bake a thons being planned) and we welcome that name rather than "Animals On Parade", as an example, although I'm sure there are many other nasty ones out there as well. It's cute, as it represents us, who also happen to be one of the few classy sororities in the city.
So I'm pretty sure it's just you.

Αγάπη, Πίστη, Φιλία
Old 12-26-2009, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePiePhi View Post
It's cute, as it represents us, who also happen to be one of the few classy sororities in the city.

Saying how classy you are and that you are in one of the "few" classy sororities in the city = you failing at classy. It is also not classy to mention, as you have in at least one other thread, what sorority you or some of your founders were members of (and I guess quit) and then throw in remarks like this:
Quote:
3 of 6 founding mothers (including myself) split off from one of two international sororities after being discontented with how things were going.
Same goes with saying you'd rather be Apple Pies than "Animals on Parade."

And while I'm making a list of things in your posts that negate any classiness, breaking your vows of loyalty to your original sorority is definitely not classy.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post

Saying how classy you are and that you are in one of the "few" classy sororities in the city = you failing at classy. It is also not classy to mention, as you have in at least one other thread, what sorority you or some of your founders were members of (and I guess quit) and then throw in remarks like this:
Same goes with saying you'd rather be Apple Pies than "Animals on Parade."

And while I'm making a list of things in your posts that negate any classiness, breaking your vows of loyalty to your original sorority is definitely not classy.
Wait I'm confused. In one post she says that 3 of them left a certain organization, then she says they left one of two organizations.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Wait I'm confused. In one post she says that 3 of them left a certain organization, then she says they left one of two organizations.
Putting her two posts together, I took her to mean that the sorority she named, of which she and two other founders were members, is one of two international sororities on her campus.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe she doesn't get why it can be perceived as icky. Seen "American Pie"??
Old 12-26-2009, 08:21 PM

In some people's minds, Pie = Twat.

Just to clear that up for all because I don't feel like beating around the bush.

Oh heck, there's another one.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
LOL okay, I'm dumb. I was reading comments, and I was like, "Okay, I can understand it not being 'flattering', or 'classy', but 'not appropriate'? That's a little harsh!"

Then I saw LucyKKG and 33girls posts...
Old 12-27-2009, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

When it comes to reputation and how we act within social situations and within our lives, we are very classy when compared to many other sororities, fraternities, and other non greeks. By stating this, I don't feel like I would be "failing" at all. It's easy to tell who's an "apple pie" at a party and who isn't.

and as for "Animals on Parade", I could go on to say "Phi Piggy Piggy", "A-Open Thighs", "Stigma Pi" or mention any of the ones listed here http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...?t=1566&page=4

Point being, I take no offense at all at being called the Apple Pies, especially as it's not done in a derogatory way as stated above in the other posts, (and much better than what could probably be given when you look at other nicknames). Don't know if it's a state thing, but if so I guess we're just a bit cleaner, or "virgin" thinking in Canada?

And No, I have not seen American Pie, nor do I really wish to see it either.

And as for leaving my original sorority - I still respect the values that the Ritual has taught me, and believe me, deciding to leave an organization that I put a certain amount of money and time into was definitely one of the hardest ones I had to make. But due to how the chapter was ran, how much money it cost to be apart of something that certainly was not a sisterhood for myself, and not what I got into a sorority for, it was best for me to leave than to stay and go crazy. And then creating something new and wonderful out of a bad situation turned me into a much stronger person. Whether that is a "classy" decision or not - frankly I don't care about the opinions on that, but I know it was the right decision for me.
It also doesn't effect our nickname

Αγάπη, Πίστη, Φιλία
Old 12-27-2009, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
When it comes to reputation and how we act within social situations and within our lives, we are very classy when compared to many other sororities, fraternities, and other non greeks. By stating this, I don't feel like I would be "failing" at all. It's easy to tell who's an "apple pie" at a party and who isn't.
Those who declare themselves to be classy rarely are, because . . . well . . . it just isn't classy to say you're classy.

Quote:
and as for "Animals on Parade", I could go on to say "Phi Piggy Piggy", "A-Open Thighs", "Stigma Pi" or mention any of the ones listed here http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...?t=1566&page=4
Of course you could go on. We all could. I just found it interesting that you decided to use as an example of a demeaning nickname one for the sorority you quit.

Quote:
And as for leaving my original sorority - I still respect the values that the Ritual has taught me, and believe me, deciding to leave an organization that I put a certain amount of money and time into was definitely one of the hardest ones I had to make. But due to how the chapter was ran, how much money it cost to be apart of something that certainly was not a sisterhood for myself, and not what I got into a sorority for, it was best for me to leave than to stay and go crazy. And then creating something new and wonderful out of a bad situation turned me into a much stronger person.
Fine. But why advertise that 3 of the founders of your new sorority were former AOIIs who quit because they didn't like the way things were run? You really don't see how that might make you look bad? (Especially when you're going to say that other chapters, including apparently AOII, aren't as "classy" as you. )
Old 12-27-2009, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

See I never understood those who left an org because they didn't like the way things were run. If you have an issue, talk to the eboard, or God forbid, RUN FOR OFFICE!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
See I never understood those who left an org because they didn't like the way things were run. If you have an issue, talk to the eboard, or God forbid, RUN FOR OFFICE!
Sometimes it's further up than your chapter. And this being Canada, I'm guessing they have issues that the US might not understand.