GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,371
0 members and 2,371 guests
No Members online

Old 10-23-2006, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Family doesn't always help

I went to the same college as my Biological sister, however she graduated the spring before I started. So while she was not there, she did have friends (and apparently) a few enemies still there.
When I went through rush I remember sitting in XYZ having a great time, loved the girl rushing me, etc. When the rush chair for the house aproached me and asked me if I was related to someone (and she mentioned my sister's name) of course I said that she was my sister. The rush chair simply said "oh you kind-of look like her" and walked away.
The next day I recieved my list of houses where I had been invited back and XYZ was not on the list. My sister called me later and I told her that I had been cut by XYZ and I told her the story of the rush chair. She started laughing and told me that the rush chair was the ex-girlfriend of her (then) current boyfriend (and my sister had nothing to do with the breakup).
So I apparently was cut based on who my sister is!

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-23-2006, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Okay at one house at Ole Miss I was asked if I had a boyfriend yet...I politely told the girl that I had just gotten to Ole Miss and because rush was going on I hadn't ventured out to "get a boyfriend yet" (at this point in my life I had never had one yet) and I was more interested in getting my dorm all ready and rush stuff...(when I went through rush it was before school started). Anyway, I guess that wasn't the right answer because she pretty much ignored me the rest of the time. They were not on my card for pref parties so that must have been the wrong answer.
What in the world? There are actualy sorities that cut girls for things like this. Since when is having a boyfriend a requirement to join a sorority? Would they rather have you be one of those girls that NEEDS a boyfriend or is totaly dependent on him?
This has nothing to do with being cut but last year we had a great girl depledge because hey boyfriend thought greek life was stupid.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I had a boyfriend try to convince me that pledging was a dumb idea, but the fact that he was an SAE and I had met him at an SAE social completely invalidated his argument!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

At the round before Preference Night (the day before) I met this girl at one of the houses and when she told me her name I recognized it because a friend of mine from high school was roommates with her in the dorm a year or so prior. My HS friend had told me this girl was really difficult to live with, was emotionally unstable, etc. Without thinking, I blurted out "Oh, you were roommates with so-and-so." She looked a bit startled but I didn't think too much of it at the time. Looking back, if my HS friend didn't like her - she probably didn't like my HS friend, either! And I wasn't invited back to that house for Preference.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Symbal
While rushing in the fall, I stopped at a house that I had initial high hopes for. I was excited to be there, but when I was paired with the girl rushing me, I knew this was just going to be awkward. This was a very upscale typical wealthy daughter sorority.

When they asked me about my interests, I said that I'm fond of reading non-fiction books about various topics (listing some to her, like feminism, religion, etc.). Her and the girl with her kind of looked at each other and the girls told me they couldn't remember the last book they actually read, then asked me if Cosmo counted. I honestly had no idea what to say.

As backround info, the shoes I had worn to the first two rounds of rush really hurt because they rubbed my achilles tendon raw. As a desperate attempt to save my poor ankles, I put a bandaid over the raw spots. While sitting with the girls at the same sorority, she told me that I "Uhm, had a bandaid" on my ankle. I said I was aware, kind of ashamed because I knew I was going to be cut for that fashion faux pas.

I had a sister at a house I really DID like almost spill a red drink on me! She was walking with a tray of punch and tripped on an AV cable. I caught her out of the corner of my eye and jumped back just enough to avoid the splash! I wonder if I was cut because of them being embarassed! I thought it was an interesting conversation starter!
Old 11-09-2006, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I just thought about this and I think I have a great one.

I bought really nice clothes for skit day at one sorority during informal. I looked good, I thought. I sat next to another PNM who turned to me and said "I love your pants, where did you get them?"
So I told her. I bought them at Old Navy. I'm pretty sure that got me cut. That sounds dumb, but I found out later from a reliable source that this sorority totally judges you on what you wear. It's all good though, I wound up in the right chapter. And that PNM? She became a pledge sister (but unfortunately couldn't complete the process. I miss Julie )

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 11-10-2006, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I know lots of guys who would love you forever because of that.
Me too!

BEST MOVIE EVER!
Old 11-12-2006, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been wanting to tell this story for awhile...
When I went through recruitment, I was visiting this one sorority during philanthropy night. We were sitting down and working on a craft. This one girl was talking to me and then there was an wierd silence. Then I saw this other sister that I recognized, so I actually got up and moved to that girl. lol...no doubt, that did not put me in the best light.

Funny side note: The girl I recognized was actually a girl I met here on GC. So I guess GC is the reason I got cut!
Old 11-25-2006, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Great thread!

I'm a pretty new GC poster, so I think this thread is great...I think sharing these kinds of stories helps show people that sometimes being released is serendipitous...and even great girls sometimes get released by sororities that didn't know better in the first place.
Anyway, here's my contribution...
I rushed at Ole Miss, where everything seems SO "high stakes." I didn't realize until AFTER rush how much meeting-and-greeting goes on at bars and other hotspots (we have a delayed rush). So, before rush I had been hanging out in my dorm and just doing on-campus activities, trying to avoid getting a scandalous reputation. But during rush several girls asked what kinds of bars I liked, etc (they're really not supposed to do that, but people run out of things to talk about...) and I didn't know what to say--I hadn't been to ANY of them at all! I was at ABC, where my cousin had been president a few years before. I knew that I didn't really fit in there, but I wanted them to like me. Of course one girl asked me that question. I knew the house had a little bit of a "party girl" reputation so I blurted out really fast..."oh you know, I don't really drink, but I'm not anti-social I PROMISE!! I'd just rather be the DD or something!"

...It sort of went on like this for a few minutes, with us talking about how admirable designated drivers are and whatnot...and it just got more and more awkward, and I sounded more and more like a goody-two-shoes...needless to say, I was not asked back for pref. But...I had tons of DG friends who already knew that I wasn't the kind of person you'd want to talk about bars with. But it's all for the best--I look back now and wonder what was I thinking even trying to fit in there??!!

Lesson learned, though: I made sure to avoid bars and "going out" conversations at ALL COSTS the next year, just so that no "goody two shoes" PNM's out there had to feel awkward like I did
Old 12-26-2006, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

At one house I ended up talking with two other PNMs and two sisters, one who was my Orientation Assistant from the year before. She made a comment about how she was the worst OA ever and asked me what my opinion was about it. I had no idea what to say because she was a bad OA so I think there was an awkward silence where I tried to laugh in agreement and just made myself look foolish...

At another house all of the girls were super excited that I lived in Kentucky. So after about the tenth introduction of "this is reverie, SHE LIVES IN KENTUCKY!" I think I started looking a little pissed off.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

this thread is hilarious, it makes me appreciate being a guy
Old 05-08-2007, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

It's been a long time since I went through rush, so the details are kinda fuzzy. But, I clearly remember leaving one of the rooms (my campus didn't have houses, so all the groups decorated classrooms) saying, "This is college - why are these women playing Patty-Cake?" My rho chi heard me, and of course she was in that chapter. Aack!

I didn't get invited back. I'll never really know why, but I'd guess that I couldn't hide my look of surprise (and embarrassment for the women in that sorority) well enough.

Looking back, I'm glad I wasn't invited back to their parties. They were nice and all... just not my kind of people.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

*bump* because I'm dying to hear some new stories!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DoubleTDG
So this is my first post here but reading through this forum brought up so many fun recruitment memories. I went through informal so the worst I did was refuse to eat at one house and they made me feel like I was a horrible person for not eating.

One story we are told every year is about the girl who started her period and was sitting on the white couch. They tell us the story to try and prepare us for the worst but I can't help but laugh every time I hear it.

One of my littles had her first recruitment this year and was talking to this one girl. She seemed really upset and my little asked her what was wrong her response was priceless "My roommate is crazy, I got in a car wreck this morning, XYZ cut me and to top it all off I have to be in this house"

This year as well I picked up a girl who I kinda knew (she went to my high school and her sister was a grade older than me, she was a freshman when I was a senior). During talking to her I accidentally called her by her sister's name. Thankfully she loved us and is now my grand little.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

On theme night I was invited back to ZTA and Phi Mu, and the nesxt night was pref night. Now that I think about it I think I may have been cut from ZTA for one reason, their food. On this night all the chapters have a little snack to give to the people at their parties. I loved ZTA and all, but not their food. It was an awkward mix consisting of M&M's cheez-its and pretzels.. I picked out the m&ms and left the rest, then they offered us soda, but I saw a bunch of mini bottled waters they hadn't handed out yet, so when they asked if I wanted a soda I said "I don't drink soda, can I have a water please?" the girl rushing me looked almost offended by this.
But I found my home in Phi Mu, and still have good friends who are ZTA's