GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293

Old 09-16-2008, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
Before I went to California, I had tried to bring a Pi Phi chapter to UTEP But the Greek Life advisor at the time wasn't interested. (he also wasn't interested in learning about hazing from the non-NPC/NPHC chapters, but that's another story).

No news yet from UTEP, but i'll send you a pm with what i know!
Thanks epchick!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:51 AM

Our Mizzou colony has about 150 members, with more to come as the colony team is still holding interviews (due to addtitonal interest).

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Our Mizzou colony has about 150 members, with more to come as the colony team is still holding interviews (due to addtitonal interest).
That's great news. Congratulations.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 AM

Phi Delta Theta is recolonizing at Butler University.

http://dawgnetnews.com/index.php/new...urns-to-butler

Kappa Sigma is recolonizing at Milikin University. The article discusses the problems that Kappa Sig had in the past at MU. It also quotes a member of an existing campus fraternity who is concerned about adding another chapter to Milikin.

http://www.thedeconline.com/article.php?id=363

Thank you, exlurker, for the information!

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-26-2008, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

This is very early in the discussion, but I have heard from a couple of sources that Kansas State is considering NPC expansion. Concensus is that the chapter would have to be housed (all 11 current chapters are), so that presents a higher bar to jump over.

Current campus total is 140 and I have heard all but one chapter is at or above total. Quota this year was 47 (up 6 from last year) and all but one house took quota.

As I write this with the news droning on in the background, I wonder how much the economy will affect students' interest in (and ability to afford) greek life. Mybe the current economic "crisis" will turn out to be just a blip on the long term screen, butI think current expansion decisions would be tough ones for organizatons to make.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Phi Delta Theta is recolonizing at Butler University.

http://dawgnetnews.com/index.php/new...urns-to-butler

Kappa Sigma is recolonizing at Milikin University. The article discusses the problems that Kappa Sig had in the past at MU. It also quotes a member of an existing campus fraternity who is concerned about adding another chapter to Milikin.

http://www.thedeconline.com/article.php?id=363

Thank you, exlurker, for the information!
That Kappa Sig / Milkin U. thing is odd. How did they get allowed back on if all 4 existing fraternity presidents disliked the idea. Doesn't IFC usually have to vote to allow expansion.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
That Kappa Sig / Milkin U. thing is odd. How did they get allowed back on if all 4 existing fraternity presidents disliked the idea. Doesn't IFC usually have to vote to allow expansion.
Yes, but sometimes they get bascially forced into it by the GA/administration. Something similar happened on my campus.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
By-Laws of the North-American Interfraternity Conference

Section 2: Standards

Campus Expectations

Open Expansion

No NIC member organization is prohibited from selecting undergraduates for the purpose of establishing a chapter on the campus of the host institution. The host institution's Interfraternity Council may not deter expansion by withholding membership of NIC group from IFC.

Open Recruitment

Host institution will support open recruitment and will not prohibit any male enrolled as a full time student in good standing from participating in rush recruitment activities and joining an NIC member fraternity. Host institution will not prohibit NIC member fraternity from recruiting/rushing male students on campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yes, but sometimes they get bascially forced into it by the GA/administration. Something similar happened on my campus.
Section 4: Colonies

A colony, meaning a newly-formed group or association of students sponsored, organized or assisted by a fraternity with the intent of it becoming a chapter or otherwise affiliated in any manner with that fraternity, may be established by a member fraternity only in relation to an accredited college or university. No member fraternity shall sponsor, organize, assist or participate in any manner in the formation, organization or establishment of a colony related to an accredited college or university, unless such college or university shall hold an approved candidacy status with the appropriate regional association, and such colony may become chartered only upon full accreditation of the institution.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

From an email sent out today by IH, it looks like the Gamma Phi Beta colony at Lake Erie College has 43 members. First NPC on campus!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

[quote=TSteven;1723602]By-Laws of the North-American Interfraternity Conference

Section 2: Standards

Campus Expectations

Open Expansion

No NIC member organization is prohibited from selecting undergraduates for the purpose of establishing a chapter on the campus of the host institution. The host institution's Interfraternity Council may not deter expansion by withholding membership of NIC group from IFC.

Open Recruitment

Host institution will support open recruitment and will not prohibit any male enrolled as a full time student in good standing from participating in rush recruitment activities and joining an NIC member fraternity. Host institution will not prohibit NIC member fraternity from recruiting/rushing male students on campus.

Section 4: Colonies

A colony, meaning a newly-formed group or association of students sponsored, organized or assisted by a fraternity with the intent of it becoming a chapter or otherwise affiliated in any manner with that fraternity, may be established by a member fraternity only in relation to an accredited college or university. No member fraternity shall sponsor, organize, assist or participate in any manner in the formation, organization or establishment of a colony related to an accredited college or university, unless such college or university shall hold an approved candidacy status with the appropriate regional association, and such colony may become chartered only upon full accreditation of the institution.

I am a bit confused.....I thought Kappa Sigma was no longer a member of the NIC since 2002, so how would the NIC by-laws on expansion apply to them? Would they (kappa Sigma) be considered an independent National Fraternity and just seek university recognition as an social organization? Or is it the policy of the university that all fraternities, NIC & Non-NIC members be recognized by the IFC?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
From an email sent out today by IH, it looks like the Gamma Phi Beta colony at Lake Erie College has 43 members. First NPC on campus!

Yeah, Gamma Phi!
Old 09-27-2008, 04:59 PM

Kappa Alpha Theta has announced the closing of their chapter at Colgate University. This is due to allegations of hazing.

http://media.www.maroon-news.com/med...-3455005.shtml

http://www.kappaalphatheta.org/whatsnew/

Last edited by LaneSig; 09-29-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:18 PM

Clemson is open for expansion, but I don't believe any decisions have been made about presentations yet. The chosen group would colonize in Fall 2009.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

AOII has been invited to present at Washington University in St. Louis. The presentation is October 22. The other groups selected are Tri Delta and Gamma Phi Beta.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Ohhhh . . .how I'd love to recolonize there!