GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465

Old 09-03-2008, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

ucla fall 2008 recruitment

hi,

im a 21 yr old incoming junior transfer student at ucla. im planning to rush this fall. do you think i have a good chance of getting a bid even if i am an incoming junior? is it too late? i hope not. i really want to be part of the greek community.

thanks.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-03-2008, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Some of my friends are members of what is considered one of the most (if not the most) competitive sorority there and I believe they took one or two juniors last year. That being said I'm also fairly sure that there are very few (if any) sororities that will take more than that. So I think the answer is is that you have a shot but you should prepare for the worst and also prepare as if you were rushing at a school much more competitive than UCLA.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Unregistered-

No one will be able to tell you what your chances are. It simply is not possible for any of us to do so.

If you really want to be a part of the Greek community, then rush. Just make sure you're prepared for whatever result comes your way. You're not Greek at the moment, so what have you got to lose?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah im also going through recruitment at UCLA and im so excited! i have a question about recommendation letters. i read somewhere on this site that you can have currently active members of a sorority write you a letter... is this true? for example can my friend who is in XYZ at University of Whatever class of 2010 write me a letter?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdian View Post
yeah im also going through recruitment at UCLA and im so excited! i have a question about recommendation letters. i read somewhere on this site that you can have currently active members of a sorority write you a letter... is this true? for example can my friend who is in XYZ at University of Whatever class of 2010 write me a letter?

It depends on the sorority. Some allow actives to write recs, others do not.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:29 PM

This is something that depends on the individual sorority, not every sorority allows collegiate members to write them.

This thread has a little info about some of those that do or do not but it's not a comprehensive list:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=75639

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

that was really helpful, thanks so much!
Old 09-05-2008, 05:44 AM
GreekChat Member

We do too!

Alpha Phi accepts recommendations from collegians... we are not listed in that thread so I just wanted to make sure you knew!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Bruin08 - UCLA Panhellenic will be having TWO quotas this year: one for freshmen and sophomores, and a separate one for juniors (and seniors, if any decide to go through). This is the first time that the campus Panhellenic has decided to try this method with the hopes that more juniors will be matched with their top choices.

Mahdian - In my experience (and I can only speak for Gamma Phi, not the other chapters), UCLA does not get very many letters of recommendation from women coming through recruitment. I would say 10% of PNMs have them, max. Check with your friends who are currently in their chapters, they should know about their specific organization's policies, but it's ALWAYS a good idea to get them if you can!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

LAblondeGPhi- everything you said to both Bruin08 and I was very helpful thank you so much! i have a few friends/people i know in each sorority so ill definitely be contacting them directly, or the greek life office. as with the letters of rec., im guessing that even if they dont weigh very much its still helpful for the chapter to get to know me beforehand anyway..?!
Old 09-05-2008, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Mahdian,
It's not that letters of rec don't weight much, it's more that getting them is not absolutely essential for your success at UCLA. At some southern schools, if you don't have at least one letter (sometimes two) for each chapter, you're chances go downhill fast.

Go ahead and get the letters, they will definitely help you.

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

So with this new quota method, will it be harder for sophomores than for juniors rushing to be matched to their preferred choices?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

bruin08 and mahdian, good luck! please do share your recruitment stories when recruitment finishes (save it as a word document and post after bid day). I have heard from WGRAC that UCLA is doing a few things different in regards to recruitment and I know that your story will seriousily help future bruins and bruin transfers!
Old 09-07-2008, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

what does the new quota system mean for juniors? i know how it works for freshman.. so will there be a set number of juniors as well? and if so, around how many?
Old 09-07-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiAnna View Post
Some of my friends are members of what is considered one of the most (if not the most) competitive sorority there and I believe they took one or two juniors last year. That being said I'm also fairly sure that there are very few (if any) sororities that will take more than that. So I think the answer is is that you have a shot but you should prepare for the worst and also prepare as if you were rushing at a school much more competitive than UCLA.

This.