GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,406
1 members and 1,405 guests
znathanhulzeo24

Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
I wouldn't be at all surprised if going Greek is considered to be an even bigger part of the experience that they are looking for than the in-state kids consider it to be.
Well, I would say in lots of ways and cases yes, in other ways and cases no. I mean, as many of us know, lots of established families in southern states like their kids to carry on the tradition of joining XYZ GLO at the state university to keep the bloodline going, so to speak. Of course I'd say it's also true that with many of those kids and their families, it's so taken for granted that by the time the kids get to college, they don't much think about it, they just do it. Do you understand what I'm saying?

Also and on the other hand, OOS students are much less likely to know anybody coming to school and often look at going greek, as a matter of fact, as the easiest, quickest way to make friends and have a support group.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
What are you thinking here? Are you going by which posters make the comments or that everyone eventually gets a greekchat tutorial in SEC elitist thinking?
The former.

As for certain groups taking a lot of people from certain areas, I honestly think to a degree, that happens at all kinds of schools. It may just be a little more obvious at places where the bid list complete with hometowns is printed and there are 1000+ people on it.

Re what Zillini was saying: is part of that because there's a huge $$ jump from public institutions (like UGA) to private institutions in the same state, so much so that staying in state really isn't feasible? I mean, my cousin actually chose her private school because after scholarships it was cheaper than Penn State. She didn't even think of going to, say Ohio State.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsparky View Post
Well....I am from Arkansas. I said something about how we do it in the South, and the upstate NY folks told me that Arkansas is in the Midwest.......news to me.
I live in Maryland and one of my friends is from South Carolina but moved up here when she got married. Once I asked her if her family considered Maryland to be a state full of Yankees. She laughed and said, "Tracy, my family considers NORTH Carolina to be a state full of Yankees!"
Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyKKGviaFlorida View Post
In one of the articles posted upthread, the Panhellenic office for Alabama reports that 85% of women going through Rush get a bid. Of course, that means 15% or close to 250-300 PNM's will not get bids. Again, this number is much higher than what I saw at UK. Any thoughts on why such a high number of PNM's end up bid less on bid day? Do the majority of the 15% simply "fail to maximize their options" and drop out in the middle of the week? Suicide Bidding? Or "cross-cutting'?
A little late I realize -- but thought this chart was interesting in terms of PMNs, bids received, and withdrawals/releases after each party (including pref). The 2012 stats have not yet been posted.

Apologies in advance for the format (if it is a hassle, I'll remove it). The chart can also be downloaded from this page:

http://greekaffairs.ua.edu/resources.cfm

Old 09-07-2012, 02:59 AM

I'm rusty on my Bama history. Why was there one more chapter doing formal in 2006 than in 2005 or 2007?

For 2011: 78 released, 132 withdrew, and 141 did not receive bids.

Would the 141 have attended pref and signed their bid cards but didn't maximize their options? Those women didn't want to risk a bid to the "wrong" chapter even if it meant having a shot at being a quota addition.

eta: I think there's a thread where we discuss "cross cutting" and effectively prove that it does not exist. Cross cutting is the myth that somehow if the PNM had ranked the chapters differently she would have received a bid. In reality, she was not high enough on any of the chapters bid lists to match before they filled quota.

Last edited by SoCalGirl; 09-07-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
I'm rusty on my Bama history. Why was there one more chapter doing formal in 2006 than in 2005 or 2007?

Would the 141 have attended pref and signed their bid cards but didn't maximize their options? Those women didn't want to risk a bid to the "wrong" chapter even if it meant having a shot at being a quota addition.

eta: I think there's a thread where we discuss "cross cutting" and effectively prove that it does not exist. Cross cutting is the myth that somehow if the PNM had ranked the chapters differently she would have received a bid. In reality, she was not high enough on any of the chapters bid lists to match before they filled quota.
The 141 probably decided they wanted their top choice or they would drop out and go through DG colonization.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Just speculating, but it may be that SDT was counted in the 2006 total -- for whatever reason, SDT's new members were listed in the press release that immediately followed formal recruitment, though as far as I know, SDT has not participated in formal recruitment in some time.

Quote:

That's certainly possible -- it seems as if the numbers of "did not receive bids" increase dramatically on the years when a colonizing sorority held recruitment immediately following formal recruitment.

It may be that more than the usual number of PNMs did not maximize their options at pref knowing that (and being interested in) an option available following formal recruitment.

The numbers seem to be updated for % of women pledged (who participated in formal recruitment), for the years a new sorority came on, but not retrospectively for the number "not receiving bids" in the same year (presumably this number would drop).
Old 09-07-2012, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the take away here is 78 girls were released completely out of 1710, which is 4 1/2%. This needs to be kept in mind when people talk about Bama being super competitive. If you want to be in a house you are ALMOST guaranteed a spot. 4 1/2% isn't zero, but when we have to assume at least a few girls who didn't want to be there and behaved appallingly or showed up with bad breath and gym clothes - or in otherwords intentionally torpedoed their own rush - then you end up with an extremely small number of girls who have all the desire in the world and it just doesn't work out.

This is where I think there could be discussion of going back over those 10 girls after philanthropy round and see if 1 or 2 chapters can't give them a second chance. Quota additions, if you will. Not mandatory, but requested. If each chapter took 2 girls who were released completely (maybe in order of where they fell on the flex lists), maybe that 10 would be cut down to 1 or 2 girls who were just snotty and deserve to be denied. I really think this is something that could be done by the computer with no muss/no fuss to the chapters. There would just have to be a line on the list of "we absolutely do not want back any girl below this point on our list" and they wouldn't be stuck taking a girl who they really think could harm the chapter.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I think the take away here is 78 girls were released completely out of 1710, which is 4 1/2%. This needs to be kept in mind when people talk about Bama being super competitive. If you want to be in a house you are ALMOST guaranteed a spot.
I was a little surprised by that number myself -- it does seem lower than I would have expected (especially considering the super competitive manner in which rush is often depicted at Bama).

I also thought the withdrawal numbers, compared to the release numbers, were interesting. I wonder if withdrawal numbers are higher among in-state PNMs. Just speculating -- but OOS girls may be more open-minded than the in-state girls who are disappointed over being released from certain chapters. Pre-conceived ideas are difficult to dispel -- especially in large high schools -- when the PNMs know where older girls pledged.

Large high schools in Birmingham alone, for instance, may each have 60+ girls participating in recruitment. PNMs may not understand that no one chapter is likely to pledge 15 girls just from their own high school (possible I suppose, but not likely). Being from a large high school in a nearby metropolitan area can actually be a competitive disadvantage in some respects, especially if a PNM has her heart set on certain chapters.

Quote:
4 1/2% isn't zero, but when we have to assume at least a few girls who didn't want to be there and behaved appallingly or showed up with bad breath and gym clothes - or in otherwords intentionally torpedoed their own rush - then you end up with an extremely small number of girls who have all the desire in the world and it just doesn't work out.

And there also may be upperclassmen in that number -- who were at a disadvantage out-of-the-gate due to their graduation date.

No doubt that many PNMs who are released are great girls who deserve a Greek home -- which sort of blends into the conversation on the UGA quota thread regarding the threshold for expansion. I would also like to see sufficient expansion to reduce the size of the pledge classes -- probably questions for more knowledgeable and statistically-savvy minds than mine!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is where I think there could be discussion of going back over those 10 girls after philanthropy round and see if 1 or 2 chapters can't give them a second chance. Quota additions, if you will. Not mandatory, but requested. If each chapter took 2 girls who were released completely (maybe in order of where they fell on the flex lists), maybe that 10 would be cut down to 1 or 2 girls who were just snotty and deserve to be denied. I really think this is something that could be done by the computer with no muss/no fuss to the chapters.
Something like this was done back in the early 1970s. A certain percentage of girls were released by everybody after first round. Panhel asked that they be invited back "one more time" on a purely voluntary basis. Sometimes it worked - a PNM actually was invited back for third round and subsequently pledged. Nobody except the rush chairman and board knew exactly who that was.
Now...as far as adding them to the pledge list...I think that's going too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Or didn't have adequate GPAs.
From what I remember of this year's recruitment, this was the case 9.8 out of 10 times.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Something like this was done back in the early 1970s. A certain percentage of girls were released by everybody after first round. Panhel asked that they be invited back "one more time" on a purely voluntary basis. Sometimes it worked - a PNM actually was invited back for third round and subsequently pledged. Nobody except the rush chairman and board knew exactly who that was.
Now...as far as adding them to the pledge list...I think that's going too far.
But that was different, that was when chapters had, effectively, as many invitations as they wanted to issue. If you weren't invited, they didn't see you as a fit. We are now talking about women who may have been #101 on a list of 100.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

There are always going to be those women who are released because they don't meet the gpa recruitment, have a no rec, etc. But they always think they'll somehow get thru...she's so special that they'll overlook the 2.5 gpa or no one really knew about the drug arrest, or they'll understand that there really weren't any activities to volunteer for in her little town.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Ditto Titchou above. Some of the grades I saw....I wondered why in the world did they think they had a chance? Then I remembered that if you sign up for recruitment, you can move into the dorm a week early...and presumably start your partying a week early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
But that was different, that was when chapters had, effectively, as many invitations as they wanted to issue. If you weren't invited, they didn't see you as a fit. We are now talking about women who may have been #101 on a list of 100.
No, it wasn't different.
We had quotas and no such thing as quota additions or snap bids. Quotas back then were between 30 and 40 (roughly), but we only had 500 women going through, not 2,000.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 09-08-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ditto Titchou above. Some of the grades I saw....I wondered why in the world did they think they had a chance? Then I remembered that if you sign up for recruitment, you can move into the dorm a week early...and presumably start your partying a week early.
As I recall, the UofA's site does not specify a minimum GPA, but does recommend a 3.0 or better. Since there are girls with less than 3.0s (and not because they took AP classes) who are offered bids by sororities at Bama, that may be why they take a chance.

Certainly less-than-stellar grades will limit a PNM's opportunities, but perhaps there is still a chance.

Remember that a number of chapters at Bama have chapter GPAs and NM GPAs that fall below those of undergrad women in general and also below non-greek undergrad women. Individual chapters determine their own definitions of "grade risk."
Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:

No, it wasn't different.
We had quotas and no such thing as quota additions or snap bids. Quotas back then were between 30 and 40 (roughly), but we only had 500 women going through, not 2,000.
Oh, I didn't mean at the quota stage, I meant in earlier rounds, like we'd talked about in another thread. Yes, more women got dropped then, at the end, hence the rumors for years about being "cross-cut".