GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,995
0 members and 1,995 guests
No Members online

Old 10-02-2019, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta1234 View Post
I'm dying over here. I thought I knew the story, but I didn't know the pledge dress part. Flower is simply hysterical. Here's to her having a great year!

On a side note, did you find out if they have a mom's club? Will Flower die if you start one?
She would absolutely die. She is really upset with me. I emailed fraternity life to find out quota. Only problem- her gmail account was still logged on to our upstairs computer and I accidentally sent the mail from her account. Fraternity life did not answer the question and emailed her asking what .org she is in.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Yikes, lol! What's worse...having them think she asked, or letting them know it was really her mom who asked? That's a toss up! So glad your daughter found her home!

My daughter and I were just laughing about how maybe one out of ten women look good in their white dress -- color definitely trumps any consideration of whether the style is flattering.

A few years ago, we had a new member show up for pledging wearing a white blouse, a white cardigan, and what looked like white brief-style underwear, but were actually the shortest shorts you've ever seen on someone who isn't an NFL cheerleader. I think they were from her former volleyball uniform.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
^^^ Yikes, lol! What's worse...having them think she asked, or letting them know it was really her mom who asked? That's a toss up! So glad your daughter found her home!

My daughter and I were just laughing about how maybe one out of ten women look good in their white dress -- color definitely trumps any consideration of whether the style is flattering.

A few years ago, we had a new member show up for pledging wearing a white blouse, a white cardigan, and what looked like white brief-style underwear, but were actually the shortest shorts you've ever seen on someone who isn't an NFL cheerleader. I think they were from her former volleyball uniform.
It was ugly. The email address is her name. And I signed it may name.

And I totally agree with the white dress attractiveness. I was lucky in college. One of my recruitment dresses was white. Think 1980s take on a 1920s lace over a slip style flapper dress. Very much at “tea” look. I wore that damn dress for 4 years - at least once a month (formal all white meetings) and initiations. I could never find a white dress that flattering. Best money ever spent.

I often wonder if she shop owner that sold me the dress (family friend, my Zeta reference from TCU or SMU) was thinking ahead when she pushed me toward that dress. (If was dressy enough to be a courthouse wedding dress - and I was not initially sold on the white)
Old 10-02-2019, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I really enjoyed this story, thank you for sharing!!! Still interested in learning YOUR greek organization and the new home your daughter found.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsucalsigmakapp View Post
I really enjoyed this story, thank you for sharing!!! Still interested in learning YOUR greek organization and the new home your daughter found.
Oh I did my retro rush story. http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=246307

I am not finished with my take on Flower’s recruitment yet.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

After Bid Night thoughts

So when we left off... my daughter at joining West. Better know as...
Delta Zeta

This also happens to be her cousin's sorority, so her only female first cousin is also her sister!

I've talked about "competitive" vs "non-competitive" recruitments in another post. But I was really surprised to learn that people in Flower's Rho Gam group dropped out after not getting the invite they wanted back - and they had a girl SIP (single intentional preference) and not get matched.

This is not what I was expecting from this "non-competitive" school.

So while the trapping around this recruitment (what the school population thinks about particular GLOs, references/recommendations, wardrobe, family connections, knowing members in chapters, etc) is way more relaxed than a typical SEC school, I would argue it isn't any less competitive in terms of membership selection.

The academic standards and type of student this school attracts is different than your typical school. It is mainly a STEM and business major school. If a chapter values grades - and pretty much expects high school GPAs unweighted to be 3.9 or above - can you say that is not competitive? No. It's just placing membership selection value on different things.

It's the difference between having a certain scholarship being a quality that a chapter regards highly VS a chapter actively seeking to pledge the most number of students with certain scholarships.

As somebody that worked the other side of recruitment in arguably the most popular sorority on campus (Was considered top 2), that had the highest pledge and active GPA - the first round cuts at my daughter's school looked like a straight GPA cut by the highest performing GLOs. There were rush cycles back in my day - where half the people going through recruitment did not have our grade threshold and had to be released. There was no exception. At Flowers school the two chapters that have the highest return rates have to make the deepest cuts first round and released many of the same girls.

This school seems to have 4 very solid, thriving and growing sororities.

From looking at the tent talk and talking with alumnae - I believe there are two sororities on her campus that would be a good fit for Flower and Delta Zeta is one of them. I am so happy she landed where she had the most comfortable conversations. As much as I was complaining to Flower's dad about her not trying to make a good impression, I have to admire her for being true to herself in terms of what she was looking for.

It's hard. I was raised by of mom who didn't feel you were "dressed" to go outside without putting on at least lip stick. And frankly, I don't think I would have ever worn my letters in the 80s without slapping on a little bit of makeup. So I wanted Flower to put her best self forward. But why does that "best self" have to include acting or becoming what you think people want to see or hear? I kind of cringed when Flower told me what she talked about (Stranger Things, The Marvel universe) but it turns out she was finding her sisters, people who share the same interests or at least care to hear what she is interested in.

Flower now has her "Big" and from the social media posts I've been able to see, it looks like they had a wonderful sisterhood retreat.

While I'm disappointed that she did not find sisterhood in my GLO - I know in my heart Delta Zeta is where she found HER home.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to your daughter on Delta Zeta!

It's 2019 and my mom is like that. She'll see me with no makeup and say "Cookie you look pale." So I at least put a pair of earrings and lipstick when I go outside.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 04-10-2022, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a quick update on my "Flower." While still pretty shy - she has found leadership opportunities within her sisterhood. She has served a Panhellenic delegate, her pledge class rep on nominating committee, nominating committee head, a behind the scenes matching role in recruitment and now as Risk Management chair.

I'm so glad she has been able to grow as a leader within her organization.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

That's awesome Flower has been able to blossom (no pun intended) in her chapter and serve all those leadership roles!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 04-10-2022, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
Just a quick update on my "Flower." While still pretty shy - she has found leadership opportunities within her sisterhood. She has served a Panhellenic delegate, her pledge class rep on nominating committee, nominating committee head, a behind the scenes matching role in recruitment and now as Risk Management chair.

I'm so glad she has been able to grow as a leader within her organization.
I'm curious seeing a Recruitment thread for Blossom at some point!
Old 04-13-2022, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

BlueBayou, I am reading your daughter's recruitment story for the first time, and I find myself chuckling, because I see so much of my teen daughter and myself in the story! She says she's not going to go through recruitment, but if she changes her mind, I will have to hold (and bite) my tongue a lot. I'm glad that she has had such a positive experience!