GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,460
0 members and 1,460 guests
No Members online

Old 09-01-2007, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
So I take it greekchat recruitment isn't normally like this?
Well, CONFIDENTIALLY, I have been informed that it GC has been posted on another website and that is why so many parents (or is it all mothers?) have been here posting about their kids recruitments gone awry. People have posted before about their Ds (dromedary, duck, datsun, daffodil, dbag, doorknob detc.?) recruitments, but they've been long time GCers, or signed up before rush to get info. This is not normal, and if I a big ol' sugar pops meanie girl for saying anything, so be it.

I'd rather have perp recruitments, or a 36 year old, married with three kids, personality dissorder, transsexual, devil worshipping, Tammy Faye eyeshadow wearing, animal sacrificing 1.7 GPA SEC recruitment thread then all these threads from parents asking us questions about their kids who didn't have a good recruitment.

I guess we're a different generation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-01-2007, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xoheatherxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
So I take it greekchat recruitment isn't normally like this?
there are usually a lot of rush stories posted by pnms, but not usually this many posted by moms of daughters that didnt get invited back to a group.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Now that sounds like it would make for an amazing thread! It seems like this year all of the threads sound exactly the same. Blah blah 3.8 GPA, blah blah pretty, blah blah lots of recs, blah blah active in church, blah blah personality oozing out of her ears, blah blah cheerleader, blah blah got cut, why dear Lord, why???? Blah blah, life is over, need to hang self/jump off a bridge/shoot oneself/ move to Canada to re-invent personality and life and start over.

Last edited by cuteASAbug; 09-02-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

They *do* all sound like that! My head hurts.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xoheatherxo
wow...just realized that when i was going through rush i wished my mom would be more excited for me. i guess im kinda glad now that she let me go through rush by myself instead of starting a thread about it on here!
Old 09-02-2007, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
I really thought that going to a party with them and getting drunk with them would bring us closer....you know, bond us.

It didn't work and now I just feel stupid.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

The good news - I can finally get out of here!
The bad news - I have to sell my house, find a job, and help hubby find a job.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

About my daughter

AlexMack, I have always supported my daughter in her desire to be a musician. My sister and brother are both in the industry - I know how tough it can be. She needs training and experience, both of which she is lacking, before she can make a decent shot at it. She has been homeschooled, so she is even more sheltered then most. LA is "pay for play" - bands have to pay to get gigs. That makes no sense. I want her to get some real world experience with a safety net in place - and I want her to hone her skills. She is not ready to take a shot at it.
And the fact is that the world is divided into two groups - those with a college degree, and those without. I've never known anyone to say "Wow, what a mistake that college degree was." but I've known plenty who have said "I sure wish I had a college degree."
I would like to see her study music ANYWHERE - and get experience playing smaller, college town gigs. To quote Linda Ronstadt, she needs to hone her skills so she can follow her instincts.
I don't have any problem with her eventually putting herself out to either succeed or fail - but I would be a poor excuse for a mother if I didn't do everything I can to give her the tools she needs to give it the best shot she can.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 09-02-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love to have a Twinkie right now. Just a regular one that's been in the fridge for a few hours. Mmmmm...twinkie.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks to the doggie rescuers

It was a very bad day for my sister and her dog.
I was settling in for a quiet night and then, got a hysterical call from my older sister. She's working at a Wyoming resort and there, it's just her and her dog she adopted earlier this summer. They were heading out for a sunset walk, and as my sister reached down to connect the dog's leash, doggie took off. She heard a howling, caught up to the dog and saw quills and a porcupine (sp? it's the heat) nearby. The dog was nearly covered in quills on his upper body.
A mother and daughter heard my sister screaming for help, came to her aid, the daughter drove my sister's truck to the vet so my sister could hold the dog, and her mother followed them.
The dog, Napoleon, has been treated and released after emergency care. He is sedated. If a quill that got his right eye causes an infection, he may lose the eye.
My sister was visiting me when my tabby cat was attacked by a pit bull, and drove me to the vet. Kitty survived a surgery.
Whoever they are, I am glad the mother and daughter were there for my sister, and I'd like to be able to give my sister a hug.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
I woke up today with the worst last summer/early fall sinus infection....I am sure it is all brought on by pollen. Ugh. My head feels like it is twice its normal size and my top teeth are hurting...............

and today is laundry day.

double ugh.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
AlexMack, I have always supported my daughter in her desire to be a musician. My sister and brother are both in the industry - I know how tough it can be. She needs training and experience, both of which she is lacking, before she can make a decent shot at it. She has been homeschooled, so she is even more sheltered then most. LA is "pay for play" - bands have to pay to get gigs. That makes no sense. I want her to get some real world experience with a safety net in place - and I want her to hone her skills. She is not ready to take a shot at it.
And the fact is that the world is divided into two groups - those with a college degree, and those without. I've never known anyone to say "Wow, what a mistake that college degree was." but I've known plenty who have said "I sure wish I had a college degree."
I would like to see her study music ANYWHERE - and get experience playing smaller, college town gigs. To quote Linda Ronstadt, she needs to hone her skills so she can follow her instincts.
I don't have any problem with her eventually putting herself out to either succeed or fail - but I would be a poor excuse for a mother if I didn't do everything I can to give her the tools she needs to give it the best shot she can.
Fair enough, I didn't mean to come across so harshly, it's just kinda a touchy subject with me because I feel that some people weren't made for college and society pushes them that way anyway. If I'd known I had other choices and I would still be able to make something of myself, I think I probably wouldn't have gone.
I realized what I said was a bit hard so I apologize.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 09-03-2007, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

No problem, AlexMack. I taught English at a community college for years, and I often told students that if they didn't enjoy academics they would be much better off going through a vocational program and probably making 10 times what I did!
Old 09-03-2007, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

No, your daughter's life will not be over if she doesn't get into the sorority that she wants.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
No problem, AlexMack. I taught English at a community college for years, and I often told students that if they didn't enjoy academics they would be much better off going through a vocational program and probably making 10 times what I did!
Exactly! You can make a huge living as a plumber. I have a friend who works for FEMA, makes over 100k a year and never went to college. If my RSD ever gets under control I'm going back to college strictly to be a nurse which is what I want to do. But it took a non-college course for me to work that out.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".