GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,256
3 members and 2,253 guests
aaidativanovoz6, Sen's Revenge

Old 05-12-2005, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Transcripts / Resumes?

Hey again everybody!

I was looking at Alabama's Panhellenic site, and they recommend sending transcripts. Would it be a good idea to send a resume with each transcript to let the sororities know a little more about each potential?

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-12-2005, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

*hijack*

So when women are going through recruitment they don' t have to submit transcripts or resumes prior to being selected?
Old 05-12-2005, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
*hijack*

So when women are going through recruitment they don' t have to submit transcripts or resumes prior to being selected?
In most formal recruitment processes, the girls submit a Recruitment application, which typically has information about high school activities and involvement, GPA, etc. However, resumes are generally not submitted.

However, I'd say in this case, it wouldn't hurt- although I have to say it's a little odd to me to be requesting a transcript in the first place. But I'd think a resume would contain a lot more pertinent info on the PNM than the transcript.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaCutie
But I'd think a resume would contain a lot more pertinent info on the PNM than the transcript.
It depends on how closely you look at the transcript and how you utilize it. When verifying grades, you may see that the person had pretty good grades until that one subject put her .01 point below your cut off GPA. You can decide then if you are willing to extend an invitation even though "technically" she is a "grade risk." ***Please note that this is a hypothetical and I am not asking anyone to share Membership Selection Criteria.***
Old 05-12-2005, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I also imagine that in a cut-throat rush a woman who has 5 AP classes may beat out the one who just took the easiest classes possible, the transcript would help show that.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Our panhellenic doesn't require grade information to be distributed to the houses. Girls are checked for the necessary GPA required to go through rush, but other than that, nothing. Then again, having differed rush lets us use their first quarter grades rather than high school. There's no real "application" either...just name, contact info, and legacy info.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I think I would've been a little bothered if my sorority had asked for a transcript from my high school.... obviously you had decent enough grades to get into the college and a good enough GPA to go through recruitment... I just think it's a little much... but then again our rush isn't super competitive so maybe that's why I'd be a little weirded out...
Old 05-13-2005, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I looked at the Alabama Panhellenic Association site and could not find anything about transcripts. Are you talking Bama or an Alumnae panhellenic group?
Old 05-14-2005, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your input everybody!

Again, I appreciate all your help so I can advise my sis.
Quote:
Originally posted by roqueemae
I looked at the Alabama Panhellenic Association site and could not find anything about transcripts. Are you talking Bama or an Alumnae panhellenic group?
The idea to send transcripts was suggested on Bama's NPC recommendations page, located at http://bama.ua.edu/~npc/recs.htm . It even says "Individual chapters may require transcripts." Though, helpfully, they do not say which ones require transcripts (if any do).
Old 06-08-2005, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't speak for the other chapters on campus, only for ADPi. We don't require transcripts but appreciate it when they're sent along with a resume. The biggest reason is sadly PNM's have been known to lie on their Recruitment registration. One year I remember a PNM "rounded up" her 2.75 to a 3.0 on her registration. Someone who wrote her a Rec included a transcript. But as Little E also pointed out, it can also show if you took basic, honors or AP classes which we can then take into consideration.

RecentASAalum stated that a PNM must have had good enough grades to get into the University, but that doesn't really say too much. Depending on which College/major you were accepted into the minimum GPA for acceptance varies dramatically.

Recruitment at Bama is very competitive. Last year we had nearly 1,000 women go through with quota at 58. Rivalry amongst the sororites for scholarship is just as competitive, so most houses continue to up their minimum GPA for new members. The logic is that if these women could achieve these high GPA's in HS, then they should be able to continue this in college.

Last edited by Zillini; 06-08-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd recommend you do anything and everything to make yourself stand out at a school with competitive recruitment. Send transcripts, resumes and get recommendations. These will help you stand out from the rest.

These things don't guarantee a bid, but they do grant you a closer look that other women who aren't as prepared might not get.

Take advantage! Just don't be obnxious about flooding them with too much paperwork. Your resume should fit on one page.

ETA: Take the time to be very thorough in filling out your recruitment application. Be honest about your grades and test scores, as many Panhellenics do verify grades (it isn't unusual for the chapters to receive copies of the PNM's applications with grades crossed out by Pan and corrected with the actual.)

Last edited by adpiucf; 06-08-2005 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We don't require transcripts but appreciate it when they're sent along with a resume. The biggest reason is sadly PNM's have been known to lie on their Recruitment registration. One year I remember a PNM "rounded up" her 2.75 to a 3.0 on her registration. Someone who wrote her a Rec included a transcript. But as Little E also pointed out, it can also show if you took basic, honors or AP classes which we can then take into consideration.
Exactly. I highly recommend sending a transcript and resume (1 page, please!) to each chapter.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TxGirl
Definately send a transcript and be sure to fill out ALL of your application. Include interesting things about yourself that will stick out from the other zillion women going through recruitment.

On the transcripts, the university's guidelines for what is acceptable for registration for recruitment may be different from the chapters. I believe that NPC recommends that there not be a grade requirement other than 2.0. This doesn't mean that you will get into a chapter with a 2.0, but that you could at least go through recruitment.

Where I advised the universities rule was the same for all "clubs". It said that if the person didn't have 24 hours then their high school gpa was used to determine elgibility to participate in clubs etc. So, you could have 24 hours at the university and be on academic probation with the university and still be in a club b/c you had a 3.0 in high school. The same was done for transfer students - their transfer work wasn't considered for the grade requirement - only the work done at the university.

Needless to say, this made it necessary to check all transcripts to make sure the correct averge was used and that it was reported correctly. In Texas some high schools use a 4.0 scale or and actual average on a 100 scale. But I've also seen 5.0, 6.0, 9.0, 10.0, 120 scale and others. And of course they never have a conversion on them to 4.0 and most don't say what scale they are based on. Is that 5.75 on a 6.0 or a 7.0 - makes a big difference.

Of course I know that recruitment in Texas is a whole other animal than the rest of the world, but that's my take on the whole thing. It never hurts to send to much info!

Old 06-09-2005, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to everyone who replied to this! My sister has actually just recently sent a (one-page) resume and transcript to each sorority as well as her recs. I hope this thread helps other potential new members! Good luck to everyone with your recruitment this upcoming year!