GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,253
0 members and 1,253 guests
No Members online

Old 10-08-2004, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

more news

Hey ladies I ran across this article on the sports section of Georgetown's website. Thought I would brag a little bit. Hope this link works.

http://www.georgetowncollege.edu/Spo...4.html#aow1008
Old 10-08-2004, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to add to Erin's piece... here are some more "FAMOUS" AGDs! http://spider.georgetowncollege.edu/...features1.html
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 10-26-2004, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

While trying to recover from walking around WDW the past few days, I plopped down in the chair and turned on TLC's A MakeUp Story....and who do I see but Sharena from Gamma Tau

I'll have to try to find some Spanx!
Old 02-25-2005, 02:05 AM
Unregistered-

Iowa State Government of the Student Body President is an Alpha Gam!

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/vnews/.../421d66759fbb2

Chronicles a day in the life of our sister, Sophia Magill -- Rho Chapter!
Old 03-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Unregistered-

A loving tribute to a retiring house mom!

Got this in my Google News Alert yesterday.

EIU: Sorority house mom retires from her duties

All the best to Wanda and happy retirement!
Old 05-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Unregistered-

The gleeful Alpha Gam graduate

Posted in today's Honolulu Advertiser:

Nicole Raridon showed her excitement yesterday after receiving her degree in special education during the University of Hawai'i-Manoa Undergraduate Commencement Exercises at the Stan Sheriff Center.

Don't our letters look so beautiful?

Congratulations to all the Delta Sigma graduates and to all Class of 2005 Alpha Gams! Red and buff roses on a job well done!!!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

That's a great picture! I don't think I've ever seen Greek letters like that at a Graduation. What a great idea!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
i actually had my letters on the top of my mortar board. made it easier for my parents to figure out who i was...

- marissa
A GD
Old 05-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by squirrely girl
i actually had my letters on the top of my mortar board. made it easier for my parents to figure out who i was...

- marissa
Ditto. I decorated and covered my boring black mortar board (UHM has since changed their caps & gowns to green, obviously) with pink glitter and raised AGD letters.

I don't know where the girls ordered their stoles from, but I can find out if anyone else is interested! Those are just darling, and I wish I had bothered to order one when I walked.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Unregistered-

Dr. Doris Ching -- 2004 Alpha Gam Distinguished Citizen

AMAZING Alpha Gam educator retires after 42 years

A 1993 AI into Delta Sigma, Doris always went above and beyond the call in assisting the collegiate chapter despite her busy work schedule. I don't know how campus life is going to be like without her!

We were so proud as she was honored as a Distinguished Citizen last summer at Convention.

My fondest memory was the semester I was initiated into Alpha Gam. I ran into her on campus and called her "Doris". My boss heard me and instructed me to address her as "Dr. Ching". Doris stepped in and told my boss, "Alpha Gam sisters call each other by their given name." Talk about feeling privileged!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Crashing!

I thought you ladies would be interested to read this:

Topinka tells GOP: I'll run for governor

By Rick Pearson
Tribune political reporter
Published November 7, 2005

State Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka has told leading Republicans that she intends to run for governor, dramatically recasting the GOP's prospects for capturing an office it had held for a quarter of a century, sources familiar with the decision said Sunday.

Topinka's move ends weeks of political indecision and personal introspection as she weighed whether to seek a fourth term as treasurer, a post she would be the odds-on favorite to win, or risk a more brutal fight for the state's top job.

A decision to run in the March 21 Republican primary also could lead to a reshaping of the current GOP field for governor, in which five men have announced or are considering a run. Four of them are social conservatives; Topinka is a social moderate.

With the deadline for filing candidacy petitions for next year's ballot only weeks away, public opinion polls have shown significant uncertainty among Republican voters for what has been a largely undistinguished field--absent the entry of Topinka, the lone statewide Republican officeholder, into the race.

Still, a Topinka bid also could starkly highlight the ideological schisms that have plagued the state GOP after the scandal-scarred tenure of the state's last Republican governor, George Ryan, and the fractious choice that led to conservative Alan Keyes' trouncing in the 2004 U.S. Senate contest.

Republican sources who asked not to be identified said Topinka, 61, began notifying GOP leaders over the weekend that she intended to run--only a few weeks after she had indicated that she was unlikely to seek the governor's office because of money concerns.

Blagojevich a tough fighter

Despite signs of political vulnerability, first-term Democratic Gov. Rod Blagojevich has been a voracious fundraiser and he enters the early fall campaign season with at least $14 million in the bank. Topinka reported one-tenth of that amount in her summer campaign disclosure report.

But the sources said Topinka has received assurances from national GOP leaders that if she wins the primary, Illinois will be considered "in play" despite its recent overtly Democratic leanings. Money from national Republican donors would follow, they said, to challenge a Blagojevich war chest likely to exceed $20 million for the general election.

Ultimately, though, Topinka's decision came down to her ability to win, the Republican sources said. One said that "pieces were still being put in place" and that absent any unforeseen circumstances, she would formally launch her campaign for governor with a rally to occur within the next couple of weeks.

"She is absolutely convinced that if she doesn't run, Blagojevich gets re-elected and she's willing to take whatever they throw at her because she's got a good shot to beat him," said one Republican official.

Topinka was the unabashed choice of former Gov. Jim Edgar to run for the nomination. After Edgar opted not to seek his old job on Sept. 29, he touted Topinka as best suited to run. At that time, Topinka said she would make "a decision very shortly," but she spent weeks debating whether to seek the state's top office.

One factor in Topinka's decision has been what public opinion polls show is Blagojevich's flagging popularity among voters who have questioned whether he has been meeting his pledge to reform Springfield. His political vulnerability has only been exacerbated by recent reports of federal subpoenas delivered to his office and three state agencies amid a grand jury investigation into allegations of state hiring irregularities.

A Tribune/WGN-TV poll conducted a month ago showed Topinka outpacing the rest of the potential GOP field among primary voters. Absent Topinka in the race, however, the poll found the percentage of undecided primary voters increased to more than one-third.

The poll, with a 5 percentage point margin of error, showed Topinka with 31 percent of the GOP primary vote, compared to 15 percent for businessman Jim Oberweis and 7 percent apiece for state Sens. Bill Brady of Bloomington and Steve Rauschenberger of Elgin. DuPage County State's Attorney Joseph Birkett had 5 percent and businessman Ron Gidwitz had 4 percent, while 27 percent were undecided and 3 percent preferred another candidate.

Of the field, Oberweis, Rauschenberger, Brady and Birkett are social conservatives, while Gidwitz is a moderate. Of the five men, Birkett has not formally announced for governor and there are expectations that a Topinka decision could recast the primary ballot as contenders drop out of the contest or seek different statewide offices.

"If she gets in this, there's the potential for some rearranging and the building of a ticket," said state Rep. Tom Cross of Oswego, the Republican leader of the Illinois House and a Topinka ally. "I don't know how everybody's going to react, but there's certainly the potential for shaping a ticket."

Other posts may affect choices

As of now, Republicans have not announced candidates for attorney general, comptroller or, amid expectations that Topinka would seek re-election, the office of treasurer. Some Republicans have urged Brady to consider a bid for treasurer in light of Topinka's move to give up her office.

Some Republican leaders, including GOP State Chairman Andy McKenna, have urged that the party look to see if a consensus choice for governor could be made to avoid a costly and contentious primary fight.

There are expectations, however, that Oberweis is the most likely to stay in the race.

Topinka's moderation on social issues, such as her support for abortion rights and opposition to discrimination based on sexual orientation, has long drawn the ire of the party's right wing, particularly during her tenure as a former chairman of the state GOP.

A large question is how GOP conservatives treat a Topinka candidacy.

"I think grudgingly they may go along," said one GOP leader. "They badly, badly want to beat Blagojevich."

If elected, she would be the first female governor in Illinois history.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Crash #2

I wanted to add she lists her membership and names her local alumnae chapter under the achievements section of her website.

Judy Barr Topinka website
Old 11-07-2005, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy They must have removed it...

I looked but didn't see AGD anywhere on the website... they must have removed it.

Let me know if you see it!
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 11-07-2005, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
It's there...scroll down and you'll see this paragraph:

Topinka belongs to more than 60 business and professional organizations, including the City Club of Chicago, the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations, West Suburban Chiefs of Police Association, National Association of State Legislators, Government Finance Officers Association and the West Suburban Chapter of the Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority – which named her one of three “Outstanding Citizens” by her National Sorority in 1994. (bolding added) Second to last paragraph on the page.

The Sun-Times now has the story as well:
Topinka to run for governor
Old 11-07-2005, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

She also spoke at our Centennial Convention which was held in Chicago. She was a very impressive speaker. It would be awesome to have an Alpha Gam Governor for the state of Illinois.

It does raise the hypothetical question.. would you vote for a Fraternity brother or sister even if they aren't of the same political persuasion that you are?