GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,603
1 members and 1,602 guests
No Members online

Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Is rushing out of the question for me?

I think I have a relatively unique situation. I will be a junior in the fall and I desperately want to rush, but not if I'm going to be a laughing stalk.

First, I must explain why I have waited this long. Nobody in my family has ever gone Greek and I'm one of few in my family that has actually attended college. I didn't rush my freshman year because I graduated a semester early from high school, so really I only had the spring semester of my freshman year to jump on board. I didn't rush this year because I was involved in other activities, so I wanted to wait until another year passed so that I could put my sorority first.

Do I have a chance at a moderately competitive school? or, should I stick to the other non-Greek affiliated activities?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

It depends on which school. Search your school and see if you can find people here who attend and PM them...you can also call your Greek Life office. They will probably try to sugar coat it, but just ask them up front.

I don't think being a junior and rushing will earn you laughs. I think you should try anyway...if it doesn't work out you've still met a lot of new people.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 04-28-2010, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Some schools have a separate upperclassmen quota which could help you. Ask your Greek Adviser. In fact, go meet with her/him and just have a chat about the process on your campus and how it might impact your chances.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Your situation is not at all unique- do some searches and then some reading. There are literally hundreds of threads asking the same question. The answer really is it depends - there may be a snowball's chance in hell, or at some schools juniors are taken regularly.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Your situation is not at all unique- do some searches and then some reading. There are literally hundreds of threads asking the same question. The answer really is it depends - there may be a snowball's chance in hell, or at some schools juniors are taken regularly.
It isn't? I have been searching and could find threads pertaining to rushing as a junior but many people were either, not at schools with competitive reputations, or they had obstacles stopping them from rushing in the first place (i.e. no Greek Life at their school, currently transferring from another school...).

I guess what I may be really asking is, will my reasons for not rushing previously be considered illegitimate or make it seem like I am indifferent to being in a sorority? Because that is not the case, nor do I want anybody to think that it is.

Anyways, I will definitely make an appointment to talk to my Greek advisor, and thanks for the responses. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide-eyed View Post
It isn't? I have been searching and could find threads pertaining to rushing as a junior but many people were either, not at schools with competitive reputations, or they had obstacles stopping them from rushing in the first place (i.e. no Greek Life at their school, currently transferring from another school...).

I guess what I may be really asking is, will my reasons for not rushing previously be considered illegitimate or make it seem like I am indifferent to being in a sorority? Because that is not the case, nor do I want anybody to think that it is.

Anyways, I will definitely make an appointment to talk to my Greek advisor, and thanks for the responses. Any help is much appreciated.
Again, that will depend on your school. On some campuses even if you were previously indifferent it wouldn't matter, and on some it very much would. Hopefully your Greek advisor can help you navigate your campus's system. Good luck!

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 04-28-2010, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think I have a relatively unique situation. I will be a junior in the fall and I desperately want to rush, but not if I'm going to be a laughing stalk.

First, I must explain why I have waited this long. Nobody in my family has ever gone Greek and I'm one of few in my family that has actually attended college. I didn't rush my freshman year because I graduated a semester early from high school, so really I only had the spring semester of my freshman year to jump on board. I didn't rush this year because I was involved in other activities, so I wanted to wait until another year passed so that I could put my sorority first.

Do I have a chance at a moderately competitive school? or, should I stick to the other non-Greek affiliated activities?
Quote:

There are a bunch of threads about juniors rushing for the first time. There are also threads about girls who are the first in their families to go Greek or even go to college.

Whether or not the chapters on campus accept your reasons as "legitimate" is unknown until you rush. NO ONE HERE can tell you what your chances are, or give you specific advice.

If you can handle possible rejection, go through recruitment, get recs (if needed - search here for your school to see if anyone else has posted about it), get to know members in the sorority NOW to ease discomfort of going in cold, and talk to the office of Greek Life about the specifics for your school - dates, wardrobe, etc.

It may work out, it may not. The question is, will you regret not trying?

By the way, its laughingstock not laughing stalk. I just got a mental image of corn stalks laughing at me.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
By the way, its laughingstock not laughing stalk. I just got a mental image of corn stalks laughing at me.
iChuckled

Old 04-28-2010, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think I have a relatively unique situation.
Strike 1: no one's situation is ever unique.

Quote:
I will be a junior in the fall
Strike 2: non-traditional PNM status.

Quote:
I desperately want to rush
Strike 3: you're desperate. no one should be desperate.

Quote:
First, I must explain why I have waited this long.
If you must... *cues tiny violins*
Old 04-28-2010, 12:06 PM

I did a search for "junior" in the Recruitment forum and it returned 90 threads. Your situation is not unique. We can't predict your chances. I would suggest doing some reading:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/se...archid=5955503

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

wide-eyed:

I'll be a junior as well this fall and I am going to rush. I'm also older, so another potential strike for me. I've talked about it a lot with friends, alumnae, and other posters here. The impression I've got is to do it anyway. The opportunity shouldn't be passed up and I see two things happening.

1. I'll meet a great bunch of women who don't care that I'm a junior or that I'm older. Good times ensue.

2. I won't get a bid, accept rejection, (It won't be the first or the last time) and move on. I've already got a couple of other clubs I'd like to get involved with on my list of 'Other Things To Do In University Besides Learning'.

I've done some reading on my university and I know that the average age is older than the typical college age and I believe their Greek system is less selective anyway. Your school may be different and you might want to research it. As other have said, everyone's situation is different.

So, if we both get rejected we can come back here and cry about it...or something.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

TrueStar, I love it! You honestly made me giggle at the end. We must have either a celebration or a sob party when the time comes, it will be great fun either way. =)

As for ree-Xi, Knight Shadow, tld221 and KSUViolet06:

Forgive me please for trying to find opinions on a forum, I'll make sure never to do this again. This being said, I was trying to do just that: find opinions. While I may not be well versed in sororities or rushing, I am not oblivious to the world around me. I am fully aware that you are not going to be able to tell me my chances of getting a bid at my school (although it seems as though you are so very kind enough that you would tell me if you did happen to know), I was simply hoping that anyone who took the time to read this would grace me with their opinion on whether my situation would be looked down upon or whether it would simply make me a minority.

I will not go into too much detail about, seeing as though I have already mentioned it, the fact that I too have typed the word junior into the search bar and found.... wait for it.... more than 90 threads!! And I am just jumping with joy to let you know that I have read them, and (again I don't want to bore you with repetition) didn't quite find one that answered my question. Let me clarify for those who do not read, my issue is not solely that I am a junior.

I can't forget about those awful strikes I have made! Let me address them one at a time.

Strike 1: You are absolutely correct, generally one can say that nobody's situation is unique. So then, it is a very good thing that I have brought this situation up so that future GCers will never mention it again. Let's not forget that I read the other threads and the information that was there was not answering my question, and if it had, it would have been outdated.

Strike 2: Not much to be said.

Strike 3: God forbid I exaggerate with the word desperately. We just couldn't have anybody saying absolutes now could we?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Strike 1: no one's situation is ever unique.
Oh no! Please don't make fun of my explanation of my situation.... oh please oh please don't call it a sob story! You and I both know that if I had not explained a bit further, you and many others would have ripped on me for 1) creating a thread that already exists and 2) not giving enough information.

Laughing Stalk = stupid mistake. I'm happy to take the ridicule for that one =)

Gosh I just wouldn't know what to do with myself if it weren't for such helpful responses.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
TrueStar, I love it! You honestly made me giggle at the end. We must have either a celebration or a sob party when the time comes, it will be great fun either way. =)

Forgive me please for trying to find opinions on a forum, I'll make sure never to do this again. This being said, I was trying to do just that: find opinions. While I may not be well versed in sororities or rushing, I am not oblivious to the world around me. I am fully aware that you are not going to be able to tell me my chances of getting a bid at my school (although it seems as though you are so very kind enough that you would tell me if you did happen to know), I was simply hoping that anyone who took the time to read this would grace me with their opinion on whether my situation would be looked down upon or whether it would simply make me a minority.

I will not go into too much detail about, seeing as though I have already mentioned it, the fact that I too have typed the word junior into the search bar and found.... wait for it.... more than 90 threads!! And I am just jumping with joy to let you know that I have read them, and (again I don't want to bore you with repetition) didn't quite find one that answered my question. Let me clarify for those who do not read, my issue is not solely that I am a junior.

I can't forget about those awful strikes I have made! Let me address them one at a time.

Strike 1: You are absolutely correct, generally one can say that nobody's situation is unique. So then, it is a very good thing that I have brought this situation up so that future GCers will never mention it again. Let's not forget that I read the other threads and the information that was there was not answering my question, and if it had, it would have been outdated.

Strike 2: Not much to be said.

Strike 3: God forbid I exaggerate with the word desperately. We just couldn't have anybody saying absolutes now could we?

Oh no! Please don't make fun of my explanation of my situation.... oh please oh please don't call it a sob story! You and I both know that if I had not explained a bit further, you and many others would have ripped on me for 1) creating a thread that already exists and 2) not giving enough information.

Laughing Stalk = stupid mistake. I'm happy to take the ridicule for that one =)

Gosh I just wouldn't know what to do with myself if it weren't for such helpful responses.

Not one person in this thread has been rude to you in the least little bit.

You came here for advice and you got it.

We're sorry it's not the happy happy joy joy you were looking for. Or the specific advice on a situation that we've been asked about nearly 90 times.

If you're looking for ponies and rainbows, we're all out.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-28-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Forgive me please for trying to find opinions on a forum, I'll make sure never to do this again. This being said, I was trying to do just that: find opinions. ....

.....Laughing Stalk = stupid mistake. I'm happy to take the ridicule for that one =)....

We can't give you opinions because they likely wouldn't be correct assertions of what MIGHT happen. We don't know the school, aren't members in the chapters, and don't know YOU. Whatever someone might say is conjecture. Do you really want to take something that a stranger with no solid info as advice?

WE. DON'T. KNOW.

As for "laughing stalk", I made a joke out of it. It was funny and made me laugh. You really need a thicker skin if you are putting yourself out there.

People that react this way to OPINIONS make me wonder why I bother helping at all. I gave you general advice because it is a general question. Next time, I'll think twice before offering practical advice. You obviously don't want it.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Not one person in this thread has been rude to you in the least little bit.

You came here for advice and you got it.

We're sorry it's not the happy happy joy joy you were looking for. Or the specific advice on a situation that we've been asked about nearly 90 times.

If you're looking for ponies and rainbows, we're all out.
I'm sorry! Did I ever say you were rude? Have I not repeatedly said that I have read the other threads?