GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,153
0 members and 2,153 guests
No Members online

Old 08-11-2008, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Dynamics of Greek Life on campus

I have had this conversation with my sisters as well as other multicultural greeks as well as many IFC and PHA greeks. The dynamics of greek life definitely differ from university, to university. There can be a sense of unity felt, or a great division. At schools that are more heavy populated, and have a diversity of greeks, the experience may be differ greatly from a university who may not have this.

Missouri State by far has the most greek chapters the South West region, but my experience as a multi-cultural greek definitely differs. The dynamic of greek life at MSU has an ayre of disunity. Rarely do the chapters fratenize with others who are not similar to them. To put it simply, it is very elitist, especially amoung the multicultural greek life. So my question is, what is the dynamic of greek like at your respective college or university? Is the unity, or division.

Last edited by Coquiporvida; 08-15-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: deleting thread
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I go to Missouri State, so I'm guessing we have similar greek systems Only I'm not in a multicultural sorority.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I had never heard of missouri state until this thread much less their greek system so I doubt they have "the most greek chapters in the southwest region" unless the "southwest region" refers to southwestern missouri.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

To reply to the previous thread, Im not just refering to multicultural sororities or franternities on MSU campus. I mean the perception of greek life on other colleges and universities as compared to MSU. It is my personal experience and observation as to the dynamic of greek life here.

And to the last post to clarify, it is the southwestern region. We are in the buckle of the bible belt, not very many surrounding universities even allow greek chapters on their campuses. I know for sure that we have the highest multicultural greek population in the region.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I attended a regional university in Missouri too. First, I wouldn't say that MoStU has "the most chapters" but maybe the University at Springfield is the largest school in the SW region of Missouri. Second, as you explained in your original post, chapters and Greek life are very different from chapter to chapter and campus to campus so I'm not really sure exactly what you are asking for. At the school I attended and now advise a chapter at, the NPC and IFC chapters were very unified and created a very positive Greek life environment. However, my campus had very few multi-cultural organizations in the mid-90's. Those that did exist had very low membership and seemed to choose not to participate actively with the NPC and IFC groups.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquiporvida View Post
And to the last post to clarify, it is the southwestern region.
But when you say "southwestern region" and leave out "of Missouri," I'm betting most people had a moment of trying to figure out what Missouri State is doing in Arizona or New Mexico.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
But when you say "southwestern region" and leave out "of Missouri," I'm betting most people had a moment of trying to figure out what Missouri State is doing in Arizona or New Mexico.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I'm from MO, and it took me a while to figure out she meant SW region of MO only. Springfield is (I believe) less than 3 hours from Fayetteville AR, and within 4 of Stillwater OK, Columbia MO and Lawrence KS. So it's not crazy isolated within it's 'region', but I guess if the region is SWMO only, then sure. But then there is also only one largish system in Central MO, one in NE MO, one in NW MO, one in SE MO...
Old 08-11-2008, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
I'm from MO, and it took me a while to figure out she meant SW region of MO only. Springfield is (I believe) less than 3 hours from Fayetteville AR, and within 4 of Stillwater OK, Columbia MO and Lawrence KS. So it's not crazy isolated within it's 'region', but I guess if the region is SWMO only, then sure. But then there is also only one largish system in Central MO, one in NE MO, one in NW MO, one in SE MO...
Yep ... now for your Missouri geography lesson for the day as it relates to the university system:

Central MO - University of Central Missouri (formerly Central Missouri State University) in Warrensberg, MO
NE MO - Truman State University (formerly Northeast Missouri State University, changed name to become more "selective", e.i. "we're going to charge more for tuition") in Kirksville, MO
NW MO - Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville, MO
SW MO - The OP's school, Missouri State University (formerly Southwest Missouri State University, changed their name to sound as big as Mizzou, but they aren't) in Springfield, MO
SE MO - Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau, MO

Univeristy of Missouri (Mizzou) in Columbia, MO is a Big 12 school and probably the largest university in the state with regards to students and a Greek system.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas City View Post
Yep ... now for your Missouri geography lesson for the day as it relates to the university system:
Don't forget UM-Rolla. 5000 men and 500 women can't be wrong!
Old 08-11-2008, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdxeric View Post
I also forgot Missouri Western State University in St. Joseph which was a "State College" until they changed their name what, 2 or 3 years ago?
Old 08-11-2008, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdxeric View Post
You mean the Missouri University of Science and Technology, right?

ETA - I think the bottom line here is that the state of MO is not devoid of greek systems, nor is the area immediately surrounding Springfield. I guess I don't have anything else to add to the rest of the OP.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Random:

Just finished reading Mizzou's Greek Life page. They definitely keep people informed about what's been going on event and disciplinary action-wise.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

To clarify, I was inquring about the dynamic of greek life as a whole at other colleges and universities. I know my experience as being greek at MSU. I wanted to know other peoples experience. Is there unity, an elitist attitude amoung the greek population as a whole?

And yes, MSU is in the Southwestern region of Mo. Just to clear it all up.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

And I know that Mo is not DEVOID of greek systems. I was saying that in the region many universities like Evangel, CBC, SBU do not allow greek chapters or do not have many greek chapters in general. MO State has the most compared to institutions surrounding us.