GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Omicron Pi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,473
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, gregrasusasda62
» Online Users: 2,230
2 members and 2,228 guests
Avalanchemii, gregrasusasda62

Old 07-16-2002, 02:03 PM

Recolonizing at OU!

I just saw on the website that we are recolonizing Xi chapter (our 29th chapter, originally founded on 3/22/1924!) at Oklahoma this fall.

Hurrah for us!!
Roses,
Christin
Old 07-17-2002, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to pandarose18 Send a message via Yahoo to pandarose18
That is AWESOME news!!! Congrats OU!!!

Sarah D
Old 07-18-2002, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats!!!

Congrats to Xi chapter!!!!!!!!

Alpha Love,
Lacey
Old 07-18-2002, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation OU Colony Info Site & MIF Info

To learn more about AOII returning to Oklahoma, please visit the website at:

http://www.alphaomicronpi.org/colony/ou/index.html

If you want to recommend someone, a Membership Information Form will need to be filled out (AOII or otherwise), and sent to HQ.

To obtain a copy our Membership Information Form and Legacy Form (MIF) please check your Spring Issue of To Dragma, or log on to our Sisters Online website under My AOII to download a PDF of the form. You may also contact AOII HQ by phone at (615) 370-0920.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Thumbs up

Wonderful web site! The web team did an awesome job. It would make me want to rush!
Old 08-25-2002, 09:23 AM

The first colonization event at Oklahoma is this Tuesday, 8/27, with bids being extended on September 9th. Best of luck to everyone involved with bringing our Xi chapter back home! If anyone hears anything, please post when you can.

Roses,
Christin
Old 08-26-2002, 05:30 AM
Banned

Best wishes to all those involved with the recolonization!!!
Keep us posted on how things are going.

Love and Roses!

Sarah
Old 09-23-2002, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

I heard how AOII recruited members from around the country to transfer to OU and gave them full scholarships to help colonize there in addition to buying a house before you came on campus. Is this standard practice when you expand?
Old 09-23-2002, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Question

That has got to be the wildest rumor that I have heard in a while!!!!

AOII DID buy a house AFTER we were selected to colonize AND the XB voted to accept. You have to be housed to compete there.

AOII DID NOT get members to transfer to OU nor were "scholarships" offered for these transferees.

AOII MAY HAVE had a few transferees there already. You can find an AOII at almost any school as easily as you can find an A Xi D.

AOII DID have collegians from other chapters to assist with certain parts of recruitment; ie, formal recruitment open house round. However, they went back to their own schools when it was over.

AOII WILL have Chapter Consultants with them until they are settled.

That's the way AOII does it and most of the other NPCs that I have seen colonize. The only exception is buying the house and when to do it. There was one NPC group who bought a house before the final selection was made. They wanted to demonstrate thier level of commitment to everyone. Panhellenic chose the other group to colonize.

I hope that clears things up.

Quote:
Originally posted by doubleblue&gold
I heard how AOII recruited members from around the country to transfer to OU and gave them full scholarships to help colonize there in addition to buying a house before you came on campus. Is this standard practice when you expand?
Old 09-23-2002, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey, don't get bent out of shape----I didn't say there was anything wrong with it! We actually thought it was pretty clever. I just wanted to know if you do it everywhere. (and if you don't want people to know, your local alum Panhellenic rep shouldn't be telling everyone!)
Old 09-23-2002, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Whose bent? I thought that it was pretty darn funny and I am sure that the expansion director will too when I tell her!

Quote:
Originally posted by doubleblue&gold
Hey, don't get bent out of shape----I didn't say there was anything wrong with it! We actually thought it was pretty clever. I just wanted to know if you do it everywhere. (and if you don't want people to know, your local alum Panhellenic rep shouldn't be telling everyone!)
Old 09-23-2002, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Funny or not, them's the facts from the AOII Panhellenic rep involved. I still think it's pretty smart!
Old 09-23-2002, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

YIKES!

I did hear this week that they took 89 women into the colony membership group so far. I'm not sure the exact total on campus (150 or so??).

I wish them the best of luck.

I'll tell you blueandgold if they were offering scholarships I'd have been willing to go back to school and pay dues to be an active member again. And get a different degree. I'd like to think we try to keep our IHQ dues down as low as they can be but if we started offering scholarships to do that, I can't even imagine what our dues would be! I think if I start thinking about that I may go into labor. So, I won't.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:32 PM

I can't even imagine purchasing a house before knowing that the sorority would be colonizing at a school!

FWIW, there are campuses where housing was not obtained after colonizing or installation. I'm guessing either there wasn't physical on-campus housing space available or it wasn't the campus norm for all sororities to be housed when the housing decision is made.

As for any of the other comments about scholarships, recruiting people to transfer and such...I honestly have no personal knowledge about such things. I'm going to guess that "standard practice" depends on the school and the existing greek and sorority system there. What would be normal for our colonization at OU may be completely different than what we'd do if we colonized at a small east coast school. At a school such as OU (or IU) it's crucial to establish yourself strongly so to be competitive from the start.

I'm sure that there will be those sisters who perhaps were interested in transferring for a particular academic program or to be closer to home. I can remember one of my sisters who, once she decided on her major, realized it would be in her best interest to transfer schools. She looked at academics AND whether we had a chapter there or not before making her transfer decision. I'm sure this happens in any sorority or fraternity with more than one chapter.

Christin
Old 09-23-2002, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowLady
I think if I start thinking about that I may go into labor. So, I won't.
Shipping some happy red warm fuzzies, because it's just not time for you to go into labor yet!

Roses,
Christin