GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,385
1 members and 1,384 guests
janesstexxda745

Old 09-29-2002, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OnePlus69Is70
Is it wrong to....

OK, so, we're not going to become TKE (read my earlier post), but TKE still wants to come to this campus. Is there anything wrong with blocking it? We simply can't support another chapter right now- new member classes have been smaller and smaller the past few years, and we've gotten three colonies in the last three semesters- none of them having brilliant success. And all the Greek housing is already occupied, with waiting lists. I just can't see that another chapter would be a good thing right now.

So would it be terribly wrong to block the new colony? I feel bad, but I can't see it working well.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-29-2002, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
If TKE wants to come to campus and IFC doesn't want to reconize them there is a good chance they will just start a chapter unrecognized.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Will they really start an unrecognized chapter? I'm wondering because a number of years ago we had TKE on my campus and something happened (that was before my time so I'm not sure what) and the guys ran underground for a number of years and were eventually sued by TKE . . . The circle has come around and there is now a TKE colony on my campus again. The administration apparently told them that this is their final chance and if they screw it up they won't ever get university recognition . . . about a week ago their party *almost * got busted so things are looking grim with both the administration and IFC right about now. Everyone runs parties, but the question would be what they were doing that got them caught. Anyhow, if for some reason they didn't get recognition do you think that TKE national would chose just to open an unrecognized chapter here?

Just edited to say that they *almost* got busted (something about being warned). Sorry for the misinformation everybody! It is very important for any group to be really careful about this but most especially a colony!

Last edited by SuperSister; 09-29-2002 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:26 PM

I would not feel bad about blocking it. It kind of sounds like the school wants you guys to go local but instead of being straight up about it, they are letting nationals come in and hoping you either die out or merge with them. Boo!

SuperSister, I pmed you with "the rest of the story".
Old 09-29-2002, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Yes TKE IHQ will open reconized chapters if they feel the school is being unfair. There have been times where the school stopped reconzing a chapter because of an inccident if TKE IHQ feels that the punishment is too harsh they will keep it open. Also if the IFC in ineffective or is hurting a chapter they can leave IFC with TKE IHQ's permission. Thats why I love TKE IHQ because they are supportive. Some say most National fraternities do the same thing and if thats true its a good thing. And I really doubt TKE is trying to kill locals.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Block it!

If you think the extra chapter would hurt the rest of the org that are already struggling on campus, I would voice that opinion. No use in getting yourself hurt, right?
-M
Old 09-30-2002, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
TKE runs underground at my school, too, although apparently their nationals doesn't mind -- they've been doing it for awhile.

I'm surprised your greek advisor would support the idea if it's going to hurt the rest of the greeks on campus -- what's the deal with that?
Old 09-30-2002, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I really doubt it would hurt the national greeks. I think he is concerned it will hurt the local greeks. But like I said if IHQ really wants to go there it won't matter if they are blocked from recognition on campus. All I can suggest it make sure your guys are loyal to your fraternity and you should be ok. If you have a strong brotherhood you should still get guys no matter what no matter how many national fraternties come on campus.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Personally I've never seen that one GLO would crowd another out. If anything it brings more awareness to the campus that fraternities are a great thing. The more people involved in Greek Life the better. If TKE wants to come to your campus you'd do better supporting them than being against them. Work together to increase the number of men going through Rush and everyone wins. The more houses the better in this case.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-30-2002, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OnePlus69Is70
actually, our local groups are doing fine, it's the national groups that really need to worry. Half their appeal is that they've a national- the more nationals there are, the less that matters.

Our GA isn't allowed to have an opinion- the school's policy is that all Greek orgs have to recognized, if they're following rules. That doesn't mean the IFC would have to recognize them, however- we have three GLO's now that are recognized by the university but NOT by any council. I'm just hoping that by blocking them in the council they'll have the decency to back away from the school completely.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OnePlus69Is70
I'm just hoping that by blocking them in the council they'll have the decency to back away from the school completely.
It has nothing to do with decency. Blocking them would only make them more determined, If the nationals are hurting and locals are no why worry then? The only way they won't come to campus is if there is not enough alumni support. But it sounds like they must have plenty.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't want to deny anyone the chance to be part of an organization like that, but sadly, the greek system is about supply and demand... if there is no demand (or the demand isn't great enough) why would you supply your school with every single NPC or IFC organization that wanted to colonize there just because they followed the rules?

In some cases it would be a wasted effort to colonize, establish a chapter, and then have the chapter fold a few years down the line because there simply isn't even interest out there for the greek life in general.

I would think that the TKE headquarters would know that?

I don't know.. just my opinion.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:21 AM

I TOTALLY agree w/ texas princess!

I think if there are not enough people for a chapter, blocking it would actually be a favor to TKE - why would they want to waste time, effort and re$ource$ on a chapter that's going to flounder?

If it is a case of the nationals are hurting and locals are not, then I find OnePlus's effort very admirable, since he's thinking about the rest of the Greek system, not just his own chapter.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

On our campus the Greek system has been growing pretty fast -- 2 new chapters over the past 3 years added to IFC (us and PIKE). It's been a positive thing though. Before there were only 4 fraternities... Now there are 6. More men go through Rush, more men end up signing. No one's had to close their doors and everyone is growing.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-30-2002, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Your assuming that TKE wouldn't thrive if they joined. That would only be the case if they are weak rushers. Granted some fraternities might have a few fewer guys but most TKE colonies thrive with a few exceptions.

But like a said nothing I or anybody says or does will affect anything. If TKE wants to go there they will, support or not. But they might not be that interested. Who knows we will have to see what happens.

Last edited by The1calledTKE; 09-30-2002 at 09:49 AM.