GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Chi Omega
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,426
1 members and 1,425 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 11-04-2002, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

We have used Grease for the past several years. It is time for it to go, so if anybody has some great skits, send me a copy! Something funny - we had one girl walk out of our party one time, and say "I know I'm going Chi-O now!" We thought it was pretty funny! Most of the skits I've gotten from above seem kind of cheesy! We've had several advisors attend other skits during recruitment - I always felt I had to stay OUR room though, so never got to see any. I heard ADPI Saturday Night Pi was great. We are done with recruitment for now!
Alphachiohmy - answers your own questions!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-04-2002, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

OK OK!

We too did Grease for two years, had all the props and the perfect sister with the blond hair and voice to play Sandy. And the modified songs really stuck in your mind. And then we switched it up to an AXO TV (MTV) theme, which was cute too.

A chapter at my school did a really cure Real World video/skit combo but it really gave PNMs a sense of sisterhood. At the end they showed the outtakes from when they filmed, very funny.

One a rush side note: One of my sisters, during pref preparation, was struck in the head by a falling column and had to be rushed to the hospital with a concussion.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

This year I could not be part of the skit because I was on status.. well still am on status. BUT last yaer (my sophomore year) we did a whole summer beach-y theme. Like a big sis and lil sis (blood sisters) were at the beach, and the big sis is telling the lil sis how cool sororities are, and the lil sis doesnt care about anything 'cept tanning and boys. Then she falls asleep and has dream sequences about sisterhood stuff:
- Friends Night on the hall
- Boones in the Barn (and a group of girls did a dance)
- Our philanthropy dance competition (different girls did a dance)
- Spring Break with Mandy Moore (host) and Brittany Spears signing a song [ that was me!!] It was funny. If y'all wanna see what I changed the words to, just lemme know. We changed the words to Lucky... actually I changed the words. Cause I was informed a week before rush that I was going to be Brittany Spears instead of some other character (my big sis wrote the skit so she was like, hmm stevie will do this..) ANYWAY... I was up on the 'stage' and sang. It was pretty cool
- BiD Day
... and some others, I forget. But it was CUTE
in the end the little sister was like.. hmm i want to go through rush.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

bag in the dark ages we did grease at A&M (not sure about now). I know I read on here that some of the PNM's thought it was weird having girls dressed as guys but the first year we did the Grease skit we had the best return rate the day after than they had for the past several years. Everyone loved it-many of the Rho Chi's talked about how cute it was. Well, times have changed I guess. This year at UT Austin they did a Hollywood/red carpet skit combined with american idol /TRL skit-which was very cute. Two actives protrayed Joan Rivers and Melissa Rivers (they did an outstanding job!). They actual had Carson Daily on videotape -I can't remember exactly what he said something like Good Luck Alpha Chi Omegas at UT Austin........ (I can't remember the rest ). They had one of the actives protray Brittany Spears (she did very well, I also thought she reasembled Brittany a great deal and had same type of accent), another protrayed Reese Witherspoon's character in Legally Blond (again to the tee!).
Old 11-11-2002, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

That sounds pretty cool aggieAXO!! But how'd they get Carson Daily on tape?! That's awesome.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Recruitment Philanthropy Night

Hello, I go to the University of Tampa, and last year we added a philanthropy night to recruitment. Since we don't have a house, we used a room on campus, donated clothing, and had the potential new member's go shopping for the children at the local shelter we help. I would like to try something new and different this coming fall, but it is hard to come up with ideas, since the length of the party is about 30 minutes, and we don't have a house. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
Thank you,
Michele
Old 01-06-2003, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AXO Sweetheart
Well, I'll tell you what I did on Philanthropy Night at the houses I went to during rush.

At one house, we made boo boo bunnies. You just need a bunch of washclothes, some googly eyes, ribbon, rubber bands, fuzzy pom poms, and glue. Here they are:

http://www.craftmallusa.com/projects/booboobunny.htm

You stick an ice cube down in the ring the washcloth forms and put it on a kid's "boo boo".

At another house, we tie dyed shirts for kids at the children's hospital. This could actually be done outside if you have somewhere to do it. The shirts were soaked in salt water and the dye was in bottles (like condiment bottles). We set the shirts in pans and squirted them, so it's not as messy as it sounds. For that, you'd need dye, salt and water, pans, water, latex gloves, shirts, and rubber bands.

At the house I ended up joining, the craft was pretty simple. We decorated bags, and our chapter later filled the bags with toiletries and took them to the domestic violence shelter we do a lot of work with. You'd just need some bags, paint, glitter, etc. That'd probably be the cheapest and quickest.

I don't know if any of those would work for you, but I thought I'd share.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

In the past, we have collected toilettries for a local domestic violence shelter and decorated the bags to put them in... we've also stamped notecards...and this past year we collected teddy bears and the girls decorated a ribbon and then tied on the teddy bear. The bears were given out to the police department to give to children when dealing with bad situations (ie. domestic violence, car/house accidents, etc.) We also do a short skit on domestic violence. PM me if you would like to know more about it.
By the way - our parties only last about one half hour too - we spend about 10 minutes on the skit, 10 minutes on the activity and 10 minutes talking to the girls. Again, pm me for more detail.

Last edited by AXO_MOM_3; 01-08-2003 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up philanthropy crafts

For our philanthropy night last year, we did a craft that was kind of time consuming for the sisters but lots of fun for the PNMs. We had each PNM decorate a tile with tile paint and apliques and then put all of the tiles (groups of like 25 of them) together as table tops. The sisters then make the table out of wood and paint it with a place in the top for the tiles which are then grouted. It is a lot of work but turns out great. We then gave the tables to our local domestic violence shelter to give to the women as they leave. For a lot of them it is their first piece of furniture in their new lives. This craft got WONDERFUL reactions from the PNMs. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2003, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NovaALphaChI
hey! i'm new to this so i hope it works. i'm from the zeta tau chapter at villanova univ. we dont' have houses either, and our philatrophy round is only 40 mins. we started a new philantrophy round this year and it worked out quite well. we had girls from our chapter donate clothing , we went through it and kept the most presentable items (enough for the PNMs coming through the round). during the round each PNM got to pick a piece of clothing out of our box and then wrapped it and decorated it in tissue paper and ribbon, along with writing a card with a description of the clothing on it and maybe a special message. it made the PNMs feel like they were really contributing to our cause! hope this helps, sincerely, gianna
Old 07-19-2003, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

The whole "shopping" philanthropy has to be approached very carefully. Some places it works and some places it doesn't. We used it this past year and it was a big flop. Our girls didn't like doing it and neither did the PNMs. Not that if it is done in the right way at the right place it can't be fantastic. Just wanted to give you the heads up
Old 06-29-2004, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Littlelopes
Theme Ideas for Bid Day!

Hey AXOs, I am in charge of Bid Day for this upcoming fall quarter. I am all out of ideas for good themes to use. Last year we used a Victoria Secret's Angel theme, and the year before we were firefighters. I want something cute, unique, and original! If you have any ideas of themes or shirts you made in the past feel free to let me know! It would really help me out! Thanks
Lara Lopez AXO- Cal Poly SLO
Old 06-29-2004, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to Greekchat, Lara!

My chapter has had a luau bid day, a Mardi Gras bid day, and a "Home" bid day in the past few years. None of the sayings on our shirts particularly went with the theme, but they were originally thinking of "There's No Place Like Home" for this year. We had also thought about doing a "Cheers" theme with "Where Everybody Knows Your Name", but another chapter used it for a mixer/date party shirt earlier in the semester. My favorite bid day saying that we had was, "This opportunity only comes along once in a lifetime. Sorry You missed it!" If you need any more bid day sayings, there are threads all over GC about it. I would do the search for you, but I have to run. Hope this helps!

ITB, Sharon
Old 07-01-2004, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Ohhh, we used the "There's No Place Like Home" last year and had these really cute red sparkly shoes on the front of lavendar shirts with the quote on the back...we also decorated our house with rainbows out front and colored the bricks with yellow chalk and a sign that said "Follow the Yellow Brick Road Home!"

We really wanted to do the "Welcome to Las Vegas" theme last year, but another chapter on our campus wanted to do it...i like the Cheers one that Sharon suggested too
Old 08-02-2004, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Recruitment Ideas

Hey Everyone,
I'm working on our Philanthropy day for recruitment this year, and I was wondering if anyone had ideas. I would love to hear what other chapters do for the crafts that we do with PNM's and how to make the day interesting for them. Please let me know any ideas so I can pass them on to our chapter! Thanks!

Dena

Theta Pi
University of California, Davis